Forum: General / dance.net salutes

Page:
Page 1 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
dance.net salutes
What is a Salute and how do I get the Salute Eye Icon? (karma: 3)
By linhPremium member Comments: 2688, member since Sun Mar 07, 1999
On Sat Jan 18, 2003 03:44 AM
Edited by glitterfairy (42646) on 2007-06-07 20:20:15 added private salute bit
Made sticky by oz_helen (35388) on 2010-01-14 20:35:53
Edited by oz_helen (35388) on 2010-01-28 18:08:02 tidied markup code and added clarification for change to rules

What is a dance.net salute? A salute is a photograph of you holding up a note with "dance.net" and your screen name clearly visible. A salute verifies your visual identity to dance.net. It is not required unless you intend to post photos of yourself. If your salute is accepted, a moderator will give you the salute "eye" icon. Salutes are needed to combat "fakers" and "posers" (trolls, really) who pretend to be someone else. Please remember to discuss privacy and safety issues with your parents if you're a minor before you post photos of yourself at dance.net. If you do post photos of yourself, be sure not to give out any personal information to anyone. The following should be seen in the salute: 1) A handwritten note with "dance.net" and your dance.net screen name.You must use lined paper. Your own handwriting is required because it is easier, more authentic, and harder to fake. It is easy to add perspective-corrected computer font lettering to any image. It is much harder to add handwriting that looks authentic. Lined paper is required because it adds an extra obstacle to falsification. 2) You should hold the note so that the hand holding it is visible in the photo. The reason for this is that it makes your salute more authentic and more difficult to fake. It is easy to digitally add a squarish-looking note to any picture. It is much harder to fake a note with the hand holding it. 3) and of course your face should be clearly visible. Only a "face" salute will get you the icon. And please don't obscure part of your face with the note in a face salute. 4) do not digitally alter the picture in any way. Do not add any fancy borders or touch-ups. After posting the face salute, feel free to post salutes of your pets or pointe shoes, etc. A pointe salute should show you wearing your pointe shoes with your hand holding the note. All your salutes will be listed when someone clicks on your salute eye icon. Also remember that you don't need to salute if you don't want to. A moderator will never ask you for a salute unless you post photos of yourself or your pets that look too professional or fake. EDIT: This is no longer the case. You must now salute before posting any photos of yourself. Please note: We welcome salutes of all formats (pointe, pets, face), but only the face salute will earn an icon since salutes are used as a way to identify people. Linh EDIT: Private salutes can be emailed to moderators@dance.net or pm'd to a mod.You will still get an icon, but the salute will not be viewable by anyone other than the moderators.

195 Replies to What is a Salute and how do I get the Salute Eye Icon?

re: Reminder
By dance4life89 Comments: 5719, member since Fri Dec 07, 2001
On Sat Jan 18, 2003 07:50 AM
Thanks for posting. A few of the salutes on here you cannot read that well. And some don't unclude the persons first or nickname either one.

*UnO*
By newyorkdollmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5451, member since Thu May 16, 2002
On Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:22 AM
I just noticed the Salute thing in my member profile. Great idea! :)
By lil_dancer_chic Comments: 14, member since Sun Jan 05, 2003
On Tue Jan 21, 2003 01:20 PM
Edited by lil_dancer_chic (53553) on 2003-01-21 13:31:06 i forgot one part the last time
um...my scanners broken, and my digital camera isnt working, so i have a pic of my head @ a recital and next to it it says lil_dancer_chick aka katie then dance.net is that ok?
re: Reminder on the 3 requirements
By linhPremium member Comments: 2688, member since Sun Mar 07, 1999
On Sat Jan 25, 2003 05:38 AM
lil_dancer_chic,

Your picture should show you actually holding the note which should at least have "dance.net" and "lil_dancer_chic". The note must be handwritten and actually legible.

If it's an old photo and you're not holding the note in it, then it won't work for a salute.

If you're holding a note, but we can't see the hand holding it, then it won't be accepted.

If you used a computer printer to make the sign, then it won't be accepted.

Here are a few scenarios that these rules prevent:

1) A faker finds a nice photo on the net and adds a note using photoshop. However, it's much harder to add an authentic-looking hand to a photo that matches the grain and lighting conditions.

2) A faker finds someone else's salute from another site that uses salutes and modifies the note using Photoshop. However, it's harder to change the words using scanned handwriting so that it is perspective-corrected, lighted properly, and account for the minor variations caused by imperfections in the paper itself.

Hope that clarifies it! :D

Linh
By MeggieGirl Comments: 938, member since Wed Feb 27, 2002
On Tue Feb 04, 2003 03:18 PM
I wish I had a digital camara. My friend has one though, but I don't see her much, so the next time she comes over I'll try to do one!!!
This is a great idea Linh!
Meggie
By xxxAdamxxxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4174, member since Thu Apr 04, 2002
On Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:50 AM
thanx, Im doing mine 2moro, its a good idea int it, to like secure people's privacy and stuff...

xxxADAMxxx
By WolvesCheer Comments: 192, member since Sun Dec 08, 2002
On Sun Feb 16, 2003 02:43 PM
I don't get it...what's the purpose of the salute? What does it do?
By Lea_dance Comments: 504, member since Thu Feb 13, 2003
On Thu Feb 20, 2003 03:12 AM
i dont get it either, and i dont have a digital camera, and i dont really wanna waste a photo on a camera just to salute!
By enpointe_wannabe Comments: 617, member since Fri Jul 26, 2002
On Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:07 PM
I think it makes sense...but I'm probably not going to do it myself, for number one, my family HARDLY even owns a camera, as it is constantly broken! Plus, I never post photo's of myself!
By dance_crazeemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1167, member since Thu Apr 11, 2002
On Sun Mar 02, 2003 05:52 PM
The purpose is that sometimes people at dance.net post pictures of other people, saying it's them, when it's not. So by having salutes, we can all be assured that it's really the poster's picture, rather then another person... if that makes any sense what so ever LOL
By lilk8 Comments: 92, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Thu Mar 06, 2003 06:20 AM
im really confused how do i make a salute? please help me i haven't got a clue!
luv lil k8
By viva_4_eva Comments: 298, member since Wed Feb 19, 2003
On Fri Mar 21, 2003 08:58 PM
ok do i NEED a solute? or is it just something nice to have etc..
By cutiedancer4u_16 Comments: 100, member since Mon Mar 17, 2003
On Sun Mar 30, 2003 01:40 AM
that is a really great idea
By Brwnsuga06 Comments: 35, member since Thu Apr 03, 2003
On Sat Apr 05, 2003 08:58 AM
what is the purpose of a salute? and can anyone get one? is there a number of things you have to do to get one?? i'm lost.
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:40 AM
A salute is a way to prove to dance.net that you are who you claim to be, and that the pictures you post of yourself are really you.

To get one you just need to take a picture of yourself holding a piece of paper with the words 'dance.net' and your online screen name (eg Glitterfairy if I was to get myself a scanner), generally following all the rules Linh has so clearly outlined.
By DanceChica02member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 5447, member since Wed Jan 23, 2002
On Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:47 AM
I posted a salute two days ago, did I not do it right? I haven't gotten an icon next to my name so I didn't know if I did my saute wrong or something!
By ballet_bummember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1104, member since Sat May 10, 2003
On Fri May 23, 2003 04:13 AM
my parents don't want me posting pics of my face, but i'd still want to post pics of my legs, feet, etc. if i can't do a salute with my face, does that mean i won't be able to post a pic of my legs? i'm really cunfused!
love ballet_bum xox
By natalie3member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 816, member since Mon May 26, 2003
On Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:27 AM
my photo is to small,can i enlarge it,or is it to late.
umm... help?!
By TwiNkLeToeS_24member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 700, member since Sat Jan 11, 2003
On Mon Jun 23, 2003 04:14 PM
lol guys i dont "get" the part about posting a pointe salute or a pet salute.... why would you do that? is it so no one can lie about being on pointe or pretend they have a certain pet?! im so confused because that ^ doesnt make sense to me...i would love for you to help me...thanks a bunch!
*K*
By DaNcErSkIKbOoTaY Comments: 126, member since Thu Feb 06, 2003
On Sat Jul 05, 2003 08:34 PM
cool. i think ill go do one rite now. hopefully if my camera is working.
re: What is a Salute and how do I get the Salute Eye Icon?
By raindancer Comments: 3270, member since Sun Jun 16, 2002
On Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:58 AM
Linh, if I want to post a <b>silhouette</b> picture of myself, do I still have to salute?

^raindancer
By ballerina_babe13 Comments: 10, member since Thu Jul 17, 2003
On Thu Jul 17, 2003 05:29 AM
Can I post a picture of another dancer if I acknowledge that it is not me and state the name of the person in the photograph?
By meljayrossmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 332, member since Sat Apr 19, 2003
On Fri Jul 18, 2003 03:13 PM
hi lihn
i am a full member now. can iput pics of my dancing comps on now with my digital cam.how do i download this .do i need to do the salute first, confused meljay.
By FlippinCrazy Comments: 1120, member since Wed Sep 25, 2002
On Mon Jul 28, 2003 06:59 AM
thanks for posting. i have been a member for awhile and i've posted a few pics. but i still haven't posted my salute yet, sorry! I'm gonna post a salute soon.
Page:
Page 1 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch