Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Some questions about pilates and which are most helpful
By Jazzerina415
On Thu Sep 14, 2006 07:12 PM

Hello everyone, I am a dancer and i'm interested in taking pilates, but i wasnt sure which one i should take. There is one thats an open class.. and I believe they are on mats, and the other one is a private session. The private session is very expensive about 90 dollars per hour, but that will be to use the equipment and get some one on one time.. the open classes are pretty full and on matts with no equipment.. however they are only about 10 dollars per class. Which one would be most helpful? Going to one class for an hour? or a couple classes per week? they also have semi private lessons which are like 45 dollars.. and there are about 4 people in the class... but thats still expensive just for an hour. How much are your rates? and do you use equipment? did you see results with the quipment faster then you did with the matts? Thanks in advance =)

2 Replies to Some questions about pilates and which are most helpful

re: Some questions about pilates and which are most helpful
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:27 PM
Why not start out with the mat class and see how you like it. If you find that you are enjoying pilates and starting to see some results a mat class may be just fine for you. However, if you choose you could try out the semi-private or private class once you've decided that pilates is something you want to commit to.
re: Some questions about pilates and which are most helpful
By DanceAngel120Premium member
On Tue Sep 19, 2006 07:53 PM
Having taken both (and currently taking private lessons, like you said, on equipment and such), I have to say they are both good. However, I'm definatley more of a fan of private instruction rather than an open mat class. Regular mat classes with many people are good for building strength and such, but you get very little personal attention usually. Private sessions, on the other hand, are personally tailored to your own needs. For me, this meant helping me work through back problems, knee problems, and hip problems, as well as a series of injuries last year. It has also helped me much more with my dancing than mat classes did (although they were great for helping with balance!), because I have the added benefit of having my pilates instructor also be one of my ballet teachers, so she specifically works with me in pilates on things that will help me with ballet, especially in strengthening my weak points in dance. In private sessions, your much more likely to really work the deep muscles instead of just the surface ones, whereas in a mat class you may not because you aren't going to get so much personal attention. The equipment definatley makes a different too. It allows you to do much more, and a much greater variety of thigns than you'd be able to do in a mat class. I also feel like I was able to progress faster in my private lessons than in mat classes.

However, price can definatley be a big issue, because I know it's extremely expensive. One option you may want to consider is switching off each week- take the open mat class one week, then a private session the next. And if you can't afford to take the private sessions, I wouldn't worry about it. Mat classes still are a wonderful option, and you will definatley get a lot out of those as well.

ReplySendWatch