Forum: Irish / Irish - Feiseanna

Anyone else suffer from nerves?
By georgie_porgie
On Thu Sep 21, 2006 06:45 PM

The Australian nationals start in a week, and i am absolutly freaked. i start getting really nervous from about 2 weeks before, and then the day i dance, i just want to pack it all in, and run away. Then, my first dance i usually dance shockingly cos i am all shaky and wobbly. basically, my nerves are ruining my dancing, and taking all the fun out of it for me.

So if anyone has ANY tips, tricks or instant magical transforming solutions, i would be soo grateful. If anyone has the same problem, how do you control it?

georgie

11 Replies to Anyone else suffer from nerves?

re: Anyone else suffer from nerves?
By Marketta
On Fri Sep 22, 2006 03:47 AM
I definitely know what you are talking about. I've got terrible nerves too! Last spring I competed first time in the main Europe and there were so many great dancers, I got all nervous about not being as good as them. All I remember is standing on the stage and wondering how I could dance, because my feet were shaking so much! I messed up my light jig, but somehow managed to survive the light reel. I just keep thinking that it was a very useful experience for me.

I don't know if this helps you, but I find that it helps me, when I try my hardest not to think of the judge in front of me. Look at a spot on the wall, or if you can see you're teacher/parent/friend in the audience, then just smile at them and imagine that you're dancing just for them. Just keep it natural, obviously you can't stare at someone seated to the right side of the stage, while dancing on the left side.

I'm sure that you're a great dancer and will do very well. Best of luck to you! And remember, being a little bit nervous is just good, because it keeps you focused and makes you to do your best.
By Summer
On Fri Sep 22, 2006 08:55 AM
I agree. I never feel that I dance as well if I'm not a little nervous. I just try to keep it in perspective--it's just a feis, there will always be another shot. Of course, I'm not in nationals, but the same idea works. You'll get another go-round if you mess up. Thinking that always helps me relax.
re: Anyone else suffer from nerves? (karma: 2)
By irish_4_life
On Fri Sep 22, 2006 09:36 AM
Some dancers (i'm certainly not one of them, do even better under pressure! :O ) I however, screw up all the time and make a general mess a lot because the pressure really gets to me. My problem is i don't know how to control my nerves so i get reeally snappy! lol Well all i know that helps, is just to imagine you're at dance class as usual. Or that there's "someone" in the audience you REALLY want to impress hehe if you get me.

XXXX
By maureensiobhan
On Sat Sep 23, 2006 02:46 PM
One word: meditation. If you can get a chance at the feis before you go out to dance, try to find a quiet spot. Sit down, close your eyes, and take calm breaths. I know it might sound a little silly, but trust me, it really works!
NERVES
By meggi1
On Sun Sep 24, 2006 03:33 AM
i have a roll on lavender stick that i put on my wrist and kepp smelling before i dance this really calms me down i have done this for years
By Rincemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Sep 24, 2006 06:43 AM
I don'y get nervous before a feis but before classes I get really nervous, I don't know why.
By georgie_porgie
On Sun Sep 24, 2006 05:15 PM
Thanks for these suggestions people. i dont dance till 5.30 in the evening, so my friend an i have decided to try yoga in the morning. hopefully this will help a tad. but i guess for nerves there isnt a really magical solution, its just a matter of controlling the mind, and grinning and bearing it. Ahhhghghghghghghgh!!!!!!
By IrishBirdmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:15 PM
This may sound silly but I hate (capitol HATE) when my teachers sees me dance in competition. It makes me so nervouse. I know I'm going to mess up and dissappoint them. But alas everytime she sees me dance and I don't think about it I always do fine. Especially since I moved to PCs I always get positive comments after I dance. Not sugarcoated but she always wants to make me feel I did my best. What helps me is on the car ride there I just keep running over my steps in my head and on my fingers with the help of my mp3 player. If its the day before and we're on our way I just put the mp3 on random and anytime it plays a slip jig or treble jig I stop and do the whole track on my fingers. Then the next day when I start to get nervous I recall how many times I danced each step and it makes me feel better. My nervousness generall subsides with the more feises I do and the more I'm on stage (but I know nationals are an entirely different beast!).
Good Luck!
By Danii1
On Wed Oct 11, 2006 02:49 PM
I have a feis this weekend and the nerves have kicked in already, im learning a new hornpipe for my celtic national championships in november and i have to dance it this weekend to see how i get placed and its not coming togather.
When i get to a feis i practice a bit and then lession to music outside to get away from it all, this way you can relax. i think you can buy some herbs from the health shops that help with nerves>
Sorry rattling on a bit i will go now! lol
By twinkle_toes__
On Sat Nov 18, 2006 09:40 PM
I get nervous too! It's awful being all shaky and stuff when I compete, so I usually get there early hang out with friends and warm up a lot. My nerves do better after I've gone through my dances a couple of times.
By samsamykinsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 19, 2006 02:08 AM
i get so nervous lol especially at the aus nats this year i felt like i was going to throw up repeatedly but it's all in my mind because i always dance exactly the same as i do in class so i really shouldn't be nervous because i very rarely fall or screw things up on stage

ReplySendWatch