Forum: Folk / Folk - General

Midwestern folk dance festivals?
By shira
On Mon Oct 02, 2006 02:53 PM

Can anyone suggest folk dance festivals held in the Midwest that feature great instructors and lots of opportunity for dancing? I know that many years ago there used to be a folk dance festival at the University of Chicago that I liked. I've heard there's one in Madison, Wisconsin. Does Chicago still have theirs, and if so, where can I find info? Where can I look to find info on Madison's? Does anybody know of anything in St. Louis, Kansas City, Minnesota, or eastern Nebraska? Or others in Illinois and Wisconsin?

3 Replies to Midwestern folk dance festivals?

folkdance
By Rapsodia
On Mon Oct 09, 2006 03:45 AM
try this one
BALKANSKE IGRE SPRING FESTIVAL:
March 16-19, 2007, 42nd anniversary, International House at the University of Chicago, 1414 E 59th St, Chicago, IL 60637. Workshops, cluture sessions, parties, and concerts featureing the dance and music of the Balkans, Eastern Europe and Turkey. Featured artists and teachers including Daniela Ivanova (Bulgarian, Serbian dances & songs), Atanas Kolarovski (Macedonian dances), Ahmet Luleci (Turkish dances), Daniel Sandu (Romanian dances), Angel Nazlamov (Bulgarian music), Jim Stoyanoff (clarinet), Orchestra "Izgrev" (Bulgarian, Macedonian, Rom, and Serbian music), Orpheus Hellenic Ensemble (Greek music), Sani Rifati (Rom dances, tentative). Info: 773-324-1247, e-mail: balkanske_igre@yahoo.com, Balkanske Igre, PO Box 1157, Chicago 60690. (confirmed 8/06)
re: Midwestern folk dance festivals?
By EstherArella
On Fri Dec 08, 2006 05:28 PM
There's the Door County Folk Festival in WI and the Chagiga Israeli Folk Festival in Oconomowoc
re: Midwestern folk dance festivals?
By schuhplattlerPremium member
On Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:29 AM
Dodgeville Wisconsin holds a Swiss folk dance festival annually about the end of July. Sorry, I do not have further information.

ReplySendWatch