Forum: Adults / Baby On Board

Baby On Board
More Fertility Info
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Thu Oct 05, 2006 01:50 PM
Made sticky by hylndlas (107168) on 2006-10-08 22:25:55 One of these day's I'll combine this sticky with the other....but for now I'll leave them separate.

From time to time I wanted to add-on to my preconception link up there^, but since it's been over 60 days, the link's too old to add onto! (I didn't know this applied to stickies :D!)

Here's some highlight info on vitamins, herbs and fertility. I'll include the links where I got them from.

The ones at the beginning of my post have more to do with male fertility. It upsets me because a lot of times when it comes to fertility everyone looks at the woman first. That man's 50% of the baby-making equasion, isn't he? He should be taking care of himself as well!

(Further down in this post are the ones for female fertility.)

thefertilityshop.com . . .

Vitamin C:

Vitamin C and Fertility:

According to a study conducted at the University of Texas Medical School at Galveston, insufficient amounts of vitamin C in a man’s diet can lead to agglutination of sperm. Agglutination occurs when sperm cells clump together, thus inhibiting maximal progression or movement of the sperm. According to Dr. Earl Dawson M.D., Ph.D., associate professor at the U of Texas at Galveston, vitamin C is also helpful in smokers who have increased amounts of abnormally formed sperm. Cigarette smoke is absorbed through the lungs and enters the circulatory system (bloodstream). Once the toxins reach the bloodstream they find their way to the semen and this can lead to less than optimal sperm count and function. It is believed that vitamin C helps to neutralize the toxic effects of cigarette smoke on the sperm. When sperm stick together (a condition called agglutination), fertility is reduced. Vitamin C reduces sperm agglutination,(3) increasing the fertility of men with this condition. The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin C is 60 milligams per day for an adult male. According to Dr. Dawson intake of 200 to 1000 milligrams per day had a beneficial effect on sperm.

Women should avoid megadoses of vitamin C because it can dry up cervical fluid, preventing sperm from reaching the egg. Limit the amount you take to the dose included in your prenatal vitamin.

Zinc:

Zinc:

This mineral is involved in over 200 proteins and enzymes and is essential for male fertility. Zinc is involved in the activation of key sperm enzymes, and moves into the prostate with the assistance of testosterone. A lack of zinc causes a lowering of testosterone, shrinks testicle size and produces misshapen and less healthy sperm, among other negatives. Upon restoring a daily dose of 15 milligrams, testosterone and sperm count levels rebounded to acceptable levels within 12 months. Take zinc with a full glass of water.

This one, Evening Primrose Oil, is aimed at female fertility. In particular, the production of fertile cervical mucus:

Evening Primrose Oil:

Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) lowers cholesterol, helps to alleviate pms and most importantly here, aids in the production of fertile quality cervical fluid. EPO is an essential fatty acid that contains gamma linolenic acid (GLA). It is converted to a hormone-like substance called prostaglandin E1 which has anti-inflammatory properties and may also act as a blood thinner and blood vessel dilator. The anti-inflammatory properties help people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. We want to discuss the effects EPO has on pms and cervical fluid.

If you suffer from pms - this is a sign that you are deficient in the fatty acid contained in EPO. EPO can help the body to alleviate the pms symptoms. EPO does a world of good in treating aliments of all sorts.

EPO helps the body to produce more fertile quality cervical fluid also known as "egg white cervical mucus." This is because fertile cervical fluid is thin, watery, clear and "stretchy" and easily aids the sperm to swim through the uterus and into the fallopian tube, and to the egg. If there is a lack in this type of cervical fluid, it can impede and/or prevent fertilization. Some women are very dry, and have problems in producing an adequate amount of fertile quality cervical fluid. Drinking a lot of water and taking the EPO can certainly help in the production of fertile cervical fluid. Also, this type of fluid helps the sperm to stay alive for up to five days inside the fallopian tube, thus enabling conception to happen even if you don't have intercourse again by the time ovulation occurs.

EPO should only be taken from menstruation to ovulation. This is because EPO can cause uterine contractions in pregnancy. The dosage taken should be 1500mg to 3000mg per day. I usually took around 2000 mg of EPO. Since essential fatty acids are necessary, you can take flax seed oil in place of EPO after ovulation. This may be taken throughout pregnancy. Check the label to see the correct dosage.

If you are partial to Chinese herbs, I've heard talk about an herb called Womens Jing. It purports to take care of the 'energy' between the liver and kidneys since according to Chinese tradition, these control female fertility. It is said that this herbal concoction is also a sort-of aphrodisiac. They say if you take it and become pregnant, not only is it safe to the developing fetus, it will also prevent its' miscarriage.

I'm planning on buying Women's Jing sometime soon so I'll let you know how it worked with me.

That's all for today, folks!

Celebrian

18 Replies to More Fertility Info

re: More Fertility Info
By Holliannamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1308, member since Thu Nov 04, 2004
On Thu Oct 05, 2006 08:13 PM
Other herbs good for women fertility are:

Dong Quai
Green Tea
Chasetberry tea (Vitex)
Rasberry leaf tea

I can't remember why these are good and I'm too tired to look it up. :) But I have all of them.

Another one good for male fertility is the amino acid L-carnitidine (Honestly don't know if that's spelled right)
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2331, member since Tue May 10, 2005
On Thu Oct 05, 2006 08:23 PM
Whatever you do, don't touch Tibetan saffron without a doctor's advice. Usage of that herb helps to "thin blood" in traditional Chinese medicine, and it can cause miscarriages.

I heard this from a family friend who practices TCM in China.

~H.
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Thu Oct 05, 2006 08:24 PM
Edited by Celebrian (127245) on 2006-10-05 20:26:52 This is a case of referring to a post above a post! And someone else posts right before you hit the 'send' button for your post! LOL
^Don't worry, I'll look 'em up later! LOL.

I'll also, when I come across info, be adding stuff for things harmful to take during pregnancy. And ladies, whatever else you know, feel free to share and add. Some of our DDN sisters are working toward motherhood and would love as much info as they can get. Thanks!
By Dancing_Dolly1 Comments: 301, member since Mon Feb 20, 2006
On Thu Oct 05, 2006 08:38 PM
Holianna, I don't know where you got your info from on those herbs, but you have just given out some very dangerous mis-information.

Dong quai is a known abortifacient and emmenagogue--meaning it promotes menstruation (not something you want if you're trying to get pregnant) can induce a miscarriage in early pregnancy.

Similar story with raspberry leaf tea. It can help to promote a healthy pregnancy, but shouldn't be used until after the first trimester, for the same reasons as dong quai.
re: More Fertility Info (karma: 1)
On Thu Oct 05, 2006 09:11 PM
Before things get ugly, here we go:

Dong Quai:
Dong Quai
Dong Quai is an ancient Asian herb. Although not containing any known phyto-estrogens, Dong Quai does seem to act like an estrogen "modulator" which activates or suppresses estrogen receptors within the pituitary to even out the hormones that pulsate to the ovaries and bring on ovulation. Dong Quai is also believed to increase metabolism within the uterus and ovaries and has been attributed with helping to build a receptive uterine lining. Among its many active ingredients, Dong Quai also contains constituents that are thought to have immune enhancing and anti-tumor activity as well. However, due to its vasodialating effect, dong quai should be discontinued when a pregnancy is confirmed.

www.conceivingconcepts.com . . .

Dong Quai, in other words, is good to help you establish a regular cycle if you have problems with that particular thing. But once you get pregnant you have to stop taking it.

As far as Red Raspberry is concerned, the herbalists can't seem to agree with one another. Some say it will not hurt you during any stage of pregnancy. Others say you should only take it to strengthen and tonify your uterus, but once pregnant, leave it alone until you're well into your second trimester since it will help make you stronger for labor.

When in doubt, leave it out. Take it while you're still on whatever birth control you're using and then when you decide you're ready to try, leave it alone.
By Holliannamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1308, member since Thu Nov 04, 2004
On Thu Oct 05, 2006 09:27 PM
Edited by Hollianna (111992) on 2006-10-05 21:29:54
Edited by Hollianna (111992) on 2006-10-05 21:41:48
Edited by Hollianna (111992) on 2006-10-05 21:53:20
Celebrian, thanks, yes, that is exactly what I read before. :) Truth be told, that I wouldn't continue any herbs once a pregnancy is achieved. And some information can be contradictory to other information.

The thing with herbs is that most are not approved by the FDA, because apparently they say they can't back up their claim. It's even that way with many vitamins, I think even Vitamin C.

I read that the Evening Primrose Oil should only be taken during the first half of your cycle, because it can cause uterine contractions.

It depends on your individual situation as well, but some doctors recommend baby aspirin. Mine told me to give it a try if I want to, that it couldn't hurt. :\

Disclaimer: I wasn't intending to give dangerous misinformation, I was just going by what I have read. As mentioned, many experts still disagree with one another when it comes to herbs, and even over the counter medications can be risky, so it's always best to check with your doctor. Just going by what I've read, and what I've asked the doctor, but I'm sorry if I appeared to be giving out bad information. :)
On Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:10 PM
I just got very worried when I read dong quai at the top of your list, because it is one of the most commonly used herbal abortifacients, it would be really sad if a woman was using it to try and get pregnant and it ended up causing her to miscarry.
On Fri Oct 06, 2006 06:53 AM
Yes, it's true, herbs are not a fix-all cure-all that won't harm you. They are not to be taken lightly! You have to know what you're doing. Some doctors support the taking of herbs, some do not and will swear on a stack of holy books that they don't do anything for you.

I will trust a good herbalist before I trust an MD. That's just the way I was raised, and I do not trust pharmaceuticals. I'm missing my herbalist up in New York. She taught me so much and had my system running so efficiently!

So before you start taking anything herbs or even something your doctor puts into your hands, research it. Research what it's supposed to be doing for you, research the side effects. And if you really want to live a life where herbs give you preventive health care, get yourself an herbalist.
On Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:25 PM
More info that makes me uneasy.

Herbalists are not regulated in anyway, you don't need any university/college qualifications to be a herbalist, there are not checks in place. To me it is dangerous to trust someone who is not accountable with your health.

At least pharmaceuticals have been rigourously tested and whatnot.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:17 PM

Herbalists are not regulated in anyway, you don't need any university/college qualifications to be a herbalist, there are not checks in place. To me it is dangerous to trust someone who is not accountable with your health.

Actually now-a-days most herbalists (in my area at least) are certified by the University of Maryland. (They offer a course of study...I myself have looked into it as I am a big herb person.

Second of all...most common pharmaceuticals (such as Aspirin) came from old herbal cures.

I have PCOS...my doctor put me on Metformin....which in turn made me very sick. I did some research....called a friend that studies Herbs over at U of M and both she and I decided that I should try Vitex (Chasteberry). This has been my miracle herb...as in my cycles have evened out and I just feel better.

My doctor does not have a problem with me taking it...she took me off the Metformin...in fact she has started to recommend it to other people that have PCOS when Metformin makes them ill.
On Mon Oct 09, 2006 08:51 AM
Also, herbalists reputations get around. If they are busy all the time and everyone wants to see them and it takes nearly six months to get an appointment they're good. But word gets around about a quack whether it be a doctor of medicine or a doctor of herbs. A friend of mine is a terrible herbalist. I wouldn't go to her if you paid me. So yes, just like you have doctors that are quacks (one poisoned my mother), you have herbalists that are quacks.

If you go to an herbalist it is also not a given that they will even give you herbs. Mine used to tweak my diet from time to time. Tell me to stop eating this or that. Tell me what is harming me before it got me sick. They will also tell you, if an herb makes you ill your body has had enough of it and it's time to stop taking it. And no, you cannot become an herbalist just from studying books, you do have to go to school.
By JendrexPremium member Comments: 57, member since Mon Jul 03, 2006
On Sat Oct 14, 2006 07:09 PM
Thank you so much for all this information. I take a variety of Herbal suppliments and I now know there are some I am missing in my diet. I am planning to get pregnant in the near future - 3-6 months and this thread has been very informative! Thanks again!
On Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:40 AM
I decided to put this link up on infertility and let people surf it at their will.

health.ivillage.com . . .
More Fertility Info
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Fri Nov 17, 2006 02:34 PM
Edited by dancing4joy (104724) on 2006-11-17 14:35:39 a bit more...
There is an excellent herbalist and Chinese doctor on the west coast of the U.S., Dr. Dao at The Tao of Wellness. Dr. Dao specializes in female fertility issues. If you live in the LA area he is worth going to (they are in Santa Monica).

Also, they have a website, where anyone can order herbs and books on line: taoofwellness.com

Dr. Dao and his brother Dr. Mao are from a long dynasty of Chinese doctors, like the 37th generation in a row. Dr. Dao told me that all first-born sons in the family continue the tradition. They are wonderful people, so loving - and let me tell you, they know their stuff!

Oh, by the way, they have started a college for Chinese medical doctors, I believe it is the most rigorous in the nation. In case anyone is interested in going in to the field, it is highly respected.
On Fri Dec 08, 2006 09:54 AM
The last time I posted on this thread, I was just about getting pregnant. :) I had used a lot of herbals and other methods on trying to get pregnant and I had posted a few of them here. I was having irregular cycles and other problems due to a chronic illness I have and was willing to try anything to either correct my cycles and/or get pregnant. I suggest asking a doctor or someone else before trying any of these and some herbals like Vitex, I've heard should only be used if you do in fact have irregular cycles.

I used:

Fertilitea- This is a tea sold online by many different sites that is said to increase fertility. I recommend trying the tea only in the first half of the cycle.
Fertile Aid- For men and women. They are vitamins as well as herbals in one, one is made for men and one is made for women.
Evening Primrose Oil- Has been called an all around tonic for women, helps with menstrual symptoms and said to increase fertility. Only take in the first part of your cycle.
Green tea- Is said to boost fertility but is good for your body all around. (Is included in Fertilitea)
Vitex- Is said to regulate cycles and increase fertility, is gentle, works over time, and is included in Fertilitea as well.
Rasberry leaf tea- Tones the uterus, is in Fertilitea.
Dong Quai- Still controversy surrounding this herbal. I would only take one or two and at the very beginning of my cycle.
Baby Aspirin- Doctors suggest that it may help blood flow to the uterus, and that it may aid in stopping your body's autoimmune reaction of possibly rejection of the embryo.
Progesterone cream- Your body needs progesterone to be pregnant and stay pregnant. I was having some hormone issues and decided to try this lotion.

Discontinue all herbals when pregnancy is achieved. This is why it is recommended to only take them in the first half of your cycle, because you may become pregnant in the second half of your cycle and not know it until your period is missed.

I'm just listing what I have taken. Many women don't have to take anything, many women have to do much more than this to get pregnant. It's hard to know if I would've gotten pregnant anyway, or if taking these things and doing those things actually helped me.
On Thu Dec 14, 2006 09:26 AM
^The baby aspirin...I went out and bought some. Yes, I'm inching closer to trying.
On Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:13 AM
Oh how exciting!

I'd seen the baby aspirin suggestion online before but many people had said to ask your doctor first, and mine had said there was no problems at all trying this. She said in fact, maybe beneficial because I had problems with cholesterol. She had fertility issues herself and also tried baby aspirin. Turns out, it didn't help because she didn't say what it was, but she and her husband had fertility issues only corrected by conceiving IVF. Oh, and this was one thing I would take in the second half of my cycle as opposed to most of the herbals which are better in the first half.
On Sun Sep 09, 2007 08:56 AM
findarticles.com . . .

This article is about vaginal lubricants and trying to conceive, how most of them damage sperm.

ReplySendWatch