Forum: Advice / GLBT PG-13

Gay, Bi? I don't get the difference
By SilverBellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:43 AM
Locked by Snackledoop (155939) on 2006-11-11 09:32:49 Got my answer. Thanks!

I know MANY homosexual people. I'm related to many homosexual people. However, there's something I dont get. THe difference between Lesbian/Gay and Bi.
Now, my knowledge goes about to here:
a Lesbian is a female whos attraced to females only

Someone who is Gay is a male who is attracted to males only

Bi is...um..Both?

You see, I've known people who are Bi. But say, the Bi girls only seem to be interested in girls..And the Bi guys only interested in guys..So is everyone I know just lieing to me? Or am I missing something here? Are bi girls/guys actually attracted to/date/hookup with people of the opposite gender? And just for clarification, Gay is guys only liking guys and so and and so forth for Lesbian?

I looked around a couple pages, and didn't see anything really fixing my confusing, but if such a thread exists, please direct me to it.

~ Snackle

14 Replies to Gay, Bi? I don't get the difference

re: Gay, Bi? I don't get the difference (karma: 1)
By Sarahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:31 PM
It's pretty simple.

Homosexual (attracted to the same sex)

Gay men like other men.
Lesbian women like other women.

Bisexual (attracted to both sexes)

Bisexual men like both women and men.
Bisexual women like both men and women.
re: Gay, Bi? I don't get the difference
On Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:36 PM
So bi people do like both..Hmmm..And it's just a totally random and coincidental thing that the Bi people I know only seem talk talk about and get with people of the same gender. Alrighty

~ Snackle
By Kayte
On Tue Oct 10, 2006 04:47 PM
I guess it's like a continuum (sp?) and bisexuals are somewhere on this continuum.

I classify myself as being bisexual, although i am more attracted to girls than guys, so if people saw me with both genders they would probably assume that i was a lesbian because i pay more attention to girls. On the other hand some girls who are bisexual may be more attrated to guys and only sometimes go for girls.

Does that make sense or have i completely lost you? :P

~Kayte
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Oct 10, 2006 06:23 PM
Yup, same here. Most bisexuals like one gender more than the other.

I'm bi but I've been in a relationship with a guy for a year and a half.
On Tue Oct 10, 2006 07:15 PM
Makes sense..I think
So Bi people do like both, but often they favor one over the other. *light bulb*

~ Snackle
re: Gay, Bi? I don't get the difference (karma: 2)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Oct 10, 2006 09:01 PM
One more point... Many people who eventually consider themselves exclusively gay go through a transition period where they identify as bisexual because it seems more socially acceptable.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Oct 10, 2006 09:10 PM
Exactly - like, while they're figuring themselves out, they'll say they're Bi, but show an almost exclusive interest in the same sex. They're just saying they're Bi so that if anyone calls them on it they can be "well, I'm Bi, so I like both."

It's less socially "gay" you know?

OR - they're just saying they're Bi and kissing the same sex for attention or to get the attention of a member of the opposite sex.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By danzatrizmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 14, 2006 03:41 AM
Disclaimer: I mean no offense to those who consider or label themselves as bisexuals.

I find that "bi" is a MUCH more confortable and safe label.
I tend to think sexuality is in fact a matter of degrees, like the Kinsley (sp?) scale proposes. I'd be very much on the hetero end, others might be on the gay end more or in between, therefor yes, a bi girl could be more attracted to men and another one to women...

BUT:
I have also found that quite a number of gay people prefer the bi tag because it allows them a certain freedom.
Some feel that at some point they would like a "normal" married family life, perhaps influenced by family dissaproval of the homosexual lifestyle or seeking social acceptance.
In the same way quite a few straight people -more often girls- will try to attract the oposite sex by playing the "bi" card.
To my annoyance, most are quite succesful at it, too. :?
re: Gay, Bi? I don't get the difference (karma: 1)
By Ayamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Oct 15, 2006 08:19 PM
See, I find being bi is more stigmatizing. The straight people don't want me--I'm too gay--and the gay people don't want me, either--I'm too straight! Because a lot of gay people DO go through a 'bi phase' (saying they're bi because it's easier to come out in steps) and a lot of straight people also go through a 'bi phase' (where they experiment to make sure they aren't bi, or kiss the same sex because it gets the opposite sex all horny), those of us who are genuinely bi are always under the expectation to do one or the other: revert to straight, or come out as REALLY gay. While for a lot of homophobic types, it's easier to accept bisexuals, for those of us who really are attracted to both sexes, it's marginalizing.

I am bi. I am in a permanent relationship with a girl. That doesn't make me a lesbian! (I admit, I have used lesbian to describe myself online, because the other explanation can take a long time.) I'm still attracted to men as well, but I won't cheat, so I won't be sleeping with any men again, well, ever.

I don't think what you do in bed defines what your sexuality is. My dad is gay. So gay. Always has been. But he married my mom and had two kids before they divorced. That doesn't mean he turned gay; he was always gay, he just had straight sex. Straight people can have gay sex. Bisexual people can sleep with one gender exclusively, and that doesn't stop them from being bi.
On Sun Oct 15, 2006 08:38 PM
Thankyou everyone, for the explinations. I understand so much better now.

~ Snackle
By and1and2and3
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 08:59 PM
I guess I am a solid bisexual. I dont care what is more excepting, I am not confused. I have always been attracted to both sexes since I was younger.
Both females and males are equally appealing to me. I am attratched to, and arroused by both sexes. I feel the sexual part has almost nothing to do with it though.
Its hard to explain, but I hope you understand.
My Fiance, who is my soulmate, just happen to be male, but it wouldnt matter what he was.
I Hope I helped!
*jen
By Shnaynaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:59 PM
I think that everyone is somewhere on the spectrum, between gay and straight. I don't think that most people are completely, 100% gay, or completely, 100% straight. I think everyone is somewhere on a line in between the two extremes. Some maybe more on the straight side, or more on the gay side, but that doensn't mean they aren't somewhere in between still.

I consider myself straight, although I have had a crush on a girl friend before, and I have kissed girls before. I have also been dating the same guy for three years now. So, while I am with a guy, and I am in love with my guy, I have also been physically and emotionally attracted to girls - well, ONE girl, in particular. I don't call myself bisexual, because there is no need. I don't need to explain myself to anyone, and neither does anyone else.

peace out
sh'naynay
answer
By blkdancer
On Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:03 PM
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2006-11-16 09:40:25 netspeak
gay or lesbian ppl arent necessarily bi but bi ppl are also either gay or lesbian
By Ayamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Nov 11, 2006 04:34 AM
No. You're so wrong it must hurt. Gay is different than bi. It's already been clearly explained in the thread. Also, "ppl" is not a word. I think you were looking for "people".

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed