Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

help on pirouettes
By x_o_x_o_babii
On Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:13 PM

does anyone have any trick to improve on double pirouettes, i can never get a double and this is getting me so sad because everytime something is off, either i cant spot or i'm off balance or i don't even know why. please and thank you! =)

3 Replies to help on pirouettes

re: help on pirouettes
By TwirlinQtay10
On Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:20 AM
Make sure you keep your body lifted. Never let your shoulders hunch over. Your posture is very important when doing pirouettes.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 13, 2006 02:58 AM
Practice them without turning. Sounds stupid, but it really helps. See how long you can just stand in passe without falling over - you can only turn for as long as you can balance.

Another great exercise is to do pirouettes en dehors (outside turns) in 1/4 increments. So you'll turn 1/4 left, then 1/4 right, then 1/2 left, then 1/2 right, 2/3 left... After each pair of turns, you should always end up facing front. That's a great old drill team trick, and it's one my ballerina friends don't seem to know about.
By fLaMiNgO_rAcH
On Fri Oct 13, 2006 08:34 PM
the reason i could never do them was because i was thinking o my god two rotations!! i was thinking it was a lot but it really isn't so i was always using too much energy which always made me fall out. i suggest thinking about a single pirouette as a half turn, and a double as a single, and a triple as a double, that way you won't put so much force because you think its such a big thing. that really helped me but also practice balancing and controlling your abs and arms. good luck and eventually it really will become second nature.

rachel

ReplySendWatch