Forum: Folk / Ukrainian Dancing

Ukrainian Dancing
What's your favourtie step?
By veselkadancer Comments: 136, member since Wed Jul 05, 2006
On Mon Oct 16, 2006 03:55 PM

What steps do you like? I understand this might be a bit hard as some groups have different names but if you're not sure the name just kinda explain.

13 Replies to What's your favourtie step?

re: What's your favourtie step?
By jp_tantsiurystmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 310, member since Tue Sep 20, 2005
On Thu Oct 19, 2006 03:57 PM
lets see if i can explain.... step "sideways" onto right foot, right hand in 5th, left hand on hip, left foot in the air pointed.... hands in 3rd, three sideways steps....left-together-left, on last left leap with right leg straight and moving to the front and land with right leg straight, left leg bent under body,left hand on ground, right hand in the air.... does that make any sense to anybody? dunno what it's called but it's a pretty standard step and i just luvs it :P
~Attila
On Fri Oct 20, 2006 04:28 PM
I think I get it but I didn't knw the hands had positions. :P Are we the only two on this board lately? :P
By jp_tantsiurystmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 310, member since Tue Sep 20, 2005
On Fri Oct 20, 2006 05:32 PM
yermm hand positions....they have names, but to explain would take more brain power than i have tonight.... it seems everyone even the vociferous RileyLewis is taking a vacation right now
cheers
~Attila
On Fri Oct 20, 2006 05:38 PM
Well I might as well state some of mine.
I like toe heel knee kick push spin push spin. Love it.
I like tanoks for some reason right now and a lot of Trans steps.
By splitman Comments: 113, member since Sat Oct 16, 2004
On Fri Oct 20, 2006 09:26 PM
Despite my moniker, I like piking aroung more than splitting.
On Fri Oct 20, 2006 09:27 PM
Nice. Yay another person to join us. The board's been so quiet lately!
On Fri Oct 20, 2006 09:41 PM
It has been quite. Any shows coming up? My group is doing the Grey Cup breakfast.
On Fri Oct 20, 2006 09:42 PM
Atilla performs somewhere tomorrow. You guys all seem so professional. I don't have any performanecs scheduled yet. :( Doing the greycup? Wow! -high fives-
On Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:09 PM
No shows? Malanka is coming up. You can probably do 3 shows that night and stay at the last one for the Kolymenka. We get to do steps that are not choreographed at a Kolymenka. Besides all the usual routines, I always try to get a dance virgin into the Kolymenka with something simple like the sit lift. What are your favorite Kolymenka routines?
On Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:11 PM
Wow. Routines? Usually if I'm with friends we just do something that comes to mind or part from our dance or some complicated move we learnt or something. Malanka isn't for a while yet :( And just so you know yah I did giggle when you said dance virgin.
By UkieHutsul Comments: 15, member since Mon Nov 28, 2005
On Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:41 AM
Backbreakers into kneecrushers or powerkicks.
By TheGreatPotato Comments: 859, member since Mon Mar 29, 2004
On Sat Oct 21, 2006 03:22 PM
It has been quite. Any shows coming up? My group is doing the Grey Cup breakfast.

Aw man that brings up bad memories. When the Grey Cup was in Regina a few years back we were invited by the Edmonton team to do their Grey Cup breakfast. We had to be there at 6:30am! Anyways, I ended up getting extremely sick to the point where I couldn't go 5 feet without vomiting.

So they had to reset our Hopak without me (which we'd just finished learning the week before nontheless!). One of the solos I had were pikes, and another guy had to do them. He could do them very well of course, but he didn't know exactly when the solo began. SO he ended up doing pikes through 16 girls who were running around in front of him trying to get out of the way! All the while our director Yuri is yelling from the audience "No Sean!!!! Nooooooo!!!".

Hi-freakin'-larious.

And favourite step? No single one really. I guess double running tours after jetes. Like the solo in Virsky's Hopak. Those give me a thrill when doing them...only left though...I can't seem to do them to the right even though that's my dominant side. Odd. I guess in general my favourite stuff involves turns. Tours, jump turn solos, etc.

But I enjoy it all though!
On Sat Oct 21, 2006 09:20 PM
"Atilla performs somewhere tomorrow."

yerm, that's me! performed at the Binghamton Arena today -- only three dances including a 2-minute Hopak that came off pretty well (only a few minor mistakes), it was a big ethnic festival in upstate NY, and we were really pumped

ReplySendWatch