Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

what do you think about color/winter guard?
By Munki03
On Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:51 PM

Is there animosity at your schools between dance team and color/winter guard?

6 Replies to what do you think about color/winter guard?

re: what do you think about color/winter guard?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 20, 2006 05:31 PM
For the past 15 years, I've taught studio dance classes, dance team, drill team, color guard, and (how did this happen?) majorettes. There is ALWAYS some animosity between the groups. But I'm not sure that's necessarily a bad thing. As a teacher, I try to use it to motivate the kids. Then again, I'd probably rather not have to deal with it... But yes, 9 times out of 10, separate girls into any 2 groups, and they'll go at it. Now that I think about it, I shouldn't even qualify it by saying "girls". I'v also worked with plenty of guys, and they're just as bad.
re: what do you think about color/winter guard? (karma: 1)
By guardgirl
On Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:30 PM
At my High School, the Dance team hated the colore guard, who didnt really care, and the cheerleaders hated the dance team, who only cared half the time. I was on guard my freshman year, and did dance team my sophmore year instead of fall guard, then did winter guard while doing dance team. I never understood the drama involved with them not liking each other. None of us did the same thing. I looked at it like this guard dance team and cheerleading are three different generes all having ties to each other in the past. Thats like a ballet dancer not likeing a modern dancer or something like that.
By SLBdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 25, 2006 07:20 PM
Well I was on colorguard and winterguard throughout high school and we always hated the dance team and they hated us. But now I'm on my university's dance team (partly cuz there is no guard, and partly cuz I love/miss dancin) and we're only worried about ourselves and don't worry about like the cheerleaders and other teams at the school. We're just there to have fun, so I kinda think all the drama between the two dissolves away by college.
By butters
On Tue Dec 12, 2006 06:01 PM
eh, we don't pay attention to winter guard at our school. They do their thing, we do ours. My dance team and winter guard couldn't even begin to be comparred. At our school only the "gothic"-type kids do winter guard, none of them know how to dance, but they try really hard and the hard work has paid off with some state titles- but again no one pays attention cuz these kids aren't doing it for hte school, they're doing it for themselves.
By Joaniemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 12, 2006 06:20 PM
at my school durring marching season the lines would be together and then for winter the lines would seperate and you could do both

But now since we just have dance team everyone is at each others throat and our first competition is in late January but the dance team hasnt organized at all and we might not have it

Whereas the winterguard due in large part to my friend and I do have enough people and we are competing hopefully this year but our band director still cares about the dance team and not us
By loonycakes
On Mon Jan 08, 2007 06:39 PM
Eh, there's not really much animosity between the dance team and the color guard at my school, but there are some snide comments by the dance team, like when we saw this big write up on them in the yearbook, about them not really being able to dance. Wow, I made us sound really mean, lol. We aren't that mean, honestly.

But the cheerleaders and the dance team do have a bigger animosity, mainly because the cheerleaders tend to make fun of the dance team, so we have to kind of lash out in return. Sometimes we just don't care, but we do feel insulted.

ReplySendWatch