Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Help, please dance team problem
By dancelover131
On Tue Oct 24, 2006 03:10 PM

I really really need help on what to do. Here's the thing i am one of the captains of my dance team and the problem is that we have girls with really different skill levels that its hard to make up a routine especially for competition. So we always have to end up doing the really, really easy dances so the girls with less experience can get it. But i also feel that its not fair for those girls who can do really well. for example some girls can barely do leap right and some girls on the squad can do axels and stuff. I tried to incorporate both skills in a dance but that didn't work out because the skills levels are just so far off. i don't know what to do, expecially for competition. i want us to do great, but we won't if we have to do these easy baby dances. Also, the coach seems to like these easy dance to. She new to dance and doesn't really understand that where supposed to be trying to improve and it also sucks because the girls with less dance experience can't do hiphop and we have to do a hiphop routine for competition. any suggestions on what i should do. any advice please

11 Replies to Help, please dance team problem

re: Help, please dance team problem (karma: 1)
By dancingrl247
On Tue Oct 24, 2006 04:14 PM
how bout doing different groups during the dance. i've seen lots of college teams even do it, where small groups on the side do something simple on the ground and the group in the middle does turns or leaps ect. then everyone can join in for the main dancing part. and even if the dancing is really simple you could still make it look good with different ripples, directions, formations, and making sure everything's precise. hope this helps a little. good luck!
re: Help, please dance team problem
By Joaniemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Oct 24, 2006 04:16 PM
my sugeestion is can you cherograph a section with theese harder skills and have only the ones who know it and can do it do it and have the people who cant in like a cool pose or something i the corner and then eventually join in thats my suggestion
By hotdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Oct 24, 2006 04:18 PM
i have exactly the same problem... we have ended up doing something similar to what dancingrl247 suggested.
even if it's only for 8 counts, it's still incorporating the moves you need to make it great. Good luck!!
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 26, 2006 06:21 AM
This has been something my dance team has struggled with. There is a group of us who have doen the whole dancing-at-a-studio-for-13-years, adn then there is a group who is good, but definitely not at our level.

Having different groups in a dance is good. It might be good if everyone on your team took some time and evaluated themselves as a dancer. What kinds of things can they do well? What are their wekanesses? That when when you choreograph a dance, maybe you can have one group turning and the other group doing some flexibility related movements.

It's important for competition routines to not make differencfes in skill level obvious. For example, our pom dance. Like I said, the levels vary on our team. I can do a quad pirouette. Some have just mastered their double turns.

So in the beginning of the pom dance half of us do a quad, while the others are doing a double turn and some flexibility stuff.

Also, I'm not sure what you do at your school, but the style of dance can make a huge difference. We ALWAYS do a pom routine for competition because although they have to do fast, even simple moves can have a HUGE impact because of the visual effect.

Also, for turns specifically. How many turns can people do on your squad? We often do turns in a ripple. So the front girls do a quad, then one count later the second row does three, etc. It's difficult to get the timing exactly right, but the effect is so cool that the judges don't even say, "OMG...those back girls only did a single!"

I have more suggestions a nd ideas....I'll reply again later as now I have to go to school....
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 26, 2006 02:10 PM
You should also make everyone personally accountable. Make it clear that their HOMEWORK is to know these "4 counts" or whatever by the next practice. And if they don't there will be consequences. We spend so much time reviewing on my team that it's hard to elarn harder, new stuff.

Also, this might work for your squad. Have a "Catch Up Club". And just once a week, after school for even like half an hour, have a class. You can have the class be getting the choreography down pat. Or you could just work pirouettes and other turns for an hour. Or leaps for an hour.

Also, dpending on how competitive your squad wants to be, it may be necessary to readjust the format of your team. That's what we did. We no longer onyl have a varsity team. Instead, we have a varsity team of like 14 girls, and a COMPETITION team of like 10 girls. The other four girls had the lowest tryout scores and won't be in our compeition routines. As of now. They are considered alternates. They will replace someone if injured. Also, there's a possibility of earning a spot on the team if you can bring your technique up to par and have good attitude etc. It may sound mean, but it's worked for us.
By KalliGirl
On Thu Oct 26, 2006 03:38 PM
I had the same problem when I was an officer, I think the other girls are right when you choreograph the routine think about the formations you want to make and who has what abilities. Do you have squad leaders and choreography notes? I think it’s true that it’s each girls’ responsibility to step up but at the same time some people can hit a wall and just not be able to make any more progress that day. Don’t give up the best dance teachers/leaders have the patients to get the results they want from their team.
By kandykanePremium member
On Thu Oct 26, 2006 04:20 PM
These types of problems are why I firmly believe all school dance teams should have certified dance teachers, not just a sponsor. The dancers deserve that! Officers should not be expected to fully train the dancers, just like football team captains are not expected to train the football team. School officials need to wake up and smell the coffee instead of pinching pennies!!

Okay, that was my two cents.

In answer to your question, I think everyone else had good suggestions - rotations, ripples, squad leaders, alternates, extra practice for the not-so-strong dancers. All these things will help. You are a good captain just for thinking of these things!

Best of luck to your team!

kk~
By Balletbaby2
On Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:30 PM
Our team holds auditions for EVERY routine, and we make cuts accordingly. BUT we do make sure to have at least one basic routine that everyone can make.
By sexychica
On Thu Dec 07, 2006 03:27 PM
Yea, I would say just like some of the other people, have smaller groups in your team, do the harder dances, and the ones around them do the easier dances. That would be the best way to do it.
By loonycakes
On Mon Jan 08, 2007 06:46 PM
We have that problem on my team too, and what we do is like what most people have suggested. We have groups where different groups and doing different skill level parts, and ripples and such. Also, we have tryouts really early in the year, like before school lets out, and then we practice all summer for competition season in January and stuff. That way we can take girls who aren't at quite as high of a skill level, but we can help them get better.

Also, if those girls aren't taking dance at a studio, I would definitely encourage them to. I danced when I was younger and went back to it for dance team, and I was okay, but when I started with studio again my technique got SO much better.
By katie91021
On Tue Jan 09, 2007 07:00 PM
I am in the same position. It sucks sooo much!

ReplySendWatch