Forum: General / Hip Hop / House

Help! - default leg!!!!!
By lare
On Tue Oct 24, 2006 04:39 PM

I don't know about you guys, but do you have a default side or leg that is weaker than the other? Its wierd because my right leg is always the lead when I do moves and even when I do drops, spins, or groundwork. I'm trying to teach myself to break this "default" phenom but its really difficult. Anyways just wanted to know if anyone out there has the same problem. Until then I guess I'll be looking like a madman with that funky left leg. hahaha peace y'all.

7 Replies to Help! - default leg!!!!!

re: Help! - default leg!!!!!
By SpellieDev
On Tue Oct 24, 2006 09:45 PM
my dominant supporting leg is my right, but it's cuz i had an operation on my left knee that leaves it hella weak. if i even TRY to spin on that leg i'll rip out all my ligaments there and i'd die a painful humiliating death in the middle of a circle...*sigh*

it's sick though if you can break it down on both sides - since it feels different on each side you can kinda launch different sets of moves from there.
By JackDaniel
On Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:20 PM
yeah i had knee surgury on my left leg too, it is a constant hindrance. i tend to be dominant on my right leg. its hard to break that habit when you have a handicap.
By SpellieDev
On Wed Oct 25, 2006 03:55 PM
yea it sucks having a handicap...i almost can't do any ground moves cuz it's just simply that bad for me. :(
By Odie
On Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:03 PM
I think most dancers and most people in general have a lead leg ( so dont trip about it too hard) a strong side and a support side. You will always do something better on one side then the other unless you are TRULY ambi but 90%(yeah i pulled that percentage out of my ass) aren't. I can spin better one side but may be able to flip better on the other or vice versa. You can however train both sides and stretch both sides so you can eventually do steps, drops, spins, etc on both sides. Sometimes I have to work the left legg twice as long to get the step as good as the right. I think we all have that issues but being aware and working through it will get you where you want to be. Once you do have the steps on both sides you'll be able to open up to a HUGE range of possibilities.
Keep dancing
Odie
Legger meister
By lare
On Thu Oct 26, 2006 05:14 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've noticed that when you have more emphasis on one leg, it causes your upper body movements to be very distinctively one sided. For example, I was watching one of my friends dance a couple days back and I noticed that he threw his left arm more often where his right arm stayed more stiff. This was very awkward for me to realize and it made me think of my techniques as well. I've notice that having too much emphasis on that lead leg can really mess with everything including the jack. Lately I've been practicing my basic jack with both knees launching at the same time but now I am focusing more on launching it from both knees. Each knee gives the jack a different wave movement but again, I do it better with the right!!! Its pretty amazing how you realize thing more and more over the years. Man this learning experience never ends. Word!!!
By whiterice714
On Tue Nov 14, 2006 04:16 PM
haha was i the one throwin the left arm?

daym i haven't been on here in sooooo long.. or on housedancer.com either... months & shyt..

wsup lare! didn't know you were on here too.. danny's been for like fucc as long as ive known him...

i know EXACTLY what you're atlking about.. i swear for some shyt my left leg is completely useless, buti noticed like, idk, i support better on it.. mainly it's the leg i use for spins, but all my foot work i'm much better w/ my right leg...

im sure it makes my style look kinda wack, but hey.. it's all good, at least i have fun right? haha

shit i gotta start making it out to practice again man.. i fucken work toooo daym much now tho...

peace
Don't forget to build!
By SirBCKnight
On Sat Dec 30, 2006 03:12 AM
Don't forget to build you body up as well! As you advance, you will need to pay closer attention to your flexiblity, muscularity, internal and external systems. Really! Ask Shan S or Sha about their workouts and you'll have some insites on how they endure. Shan S brough my knees back from the grave... and that is one of the ONLY reasons I can hit the floor now. Tone McGregor as well (trust). Oh... and Cebo.. you get the idea.

One sidedness is always a challenge. Do be afaid to slow down the technique and allow the jack to hold the rhythm while you slowly train the other side of the body. Never feel like you have to rush a step of movement. House Dance is both powerful and sensual... trust it on both.

ReplySendWatch