Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Lotus??
By Dancebabe414member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Oct 27, 2006 06:05 PM
Edited by Dancebabe414 (138297) on 2006-10-27 18:06:52 wow...can't spell tonight!

hey,

I take yoga and pilates in my P.E. class. My teacher recently introduced the Lotus posture to us and I can't do it. I am pretty flexible(one of the most flexi in the class) and I can only do half lotus. There are people in my class that can do an amazing lotus and they're soo not flexible. I was just wondering if there was an explaination to the reason why I can't do Lotus and if there's any stretches that would help me with acheiving Lotus. Thanks in advance!

Jamie

2 Replies to Lotus??

re: Lotus??
By lazystretcher
On Wed Nov 01, 2006 07:36 AM
Lotus isn't one of the harder positions to do, I guess your inner thighs mustn't be stretched out enough.

I would recommend doing the butterfly or bound angle poses. Butterfly is where the soles of your feet face each other, while sitting upright and you move your knees slowly up and down. Bound angle is an extension of this, whereby you lean forward while in butterfly.

You might also like to practise your seated forward bends with legs extended; they should help loosen your leg muscles significantly too.

Hope it helps!

Kris
re: Lotus??
By oldYogimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 01, 2006 08:48 AM
Lotus - the main thing is NOT to stress the knees. The joint can fail without any warning.

Instead, work on hips. Eg, forward bends, but with one leg bent, sole touching inner thigh of other leg.

ReplySendWatch