Forum: General / Hip Hop / Breaking

i am new to breaking, i need help
By Oo_JZB_oO
On Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:27 PM

i am new to breaking but i have danced hip hop for many years. i was wondering what moves are the best to start me off?

8 Replies to i am new to breaking, i need help

re: i am new to breaking, i need help
By ashley123
On Tue Oct 31, 2006 08:25 AM
breaking is almost totaly different than hip hop. breaking is alot more than just dance...to understand breaking and to really beable to give it your best you have to get into the mind set of it its not just fun its not just dance its a lifestyle its a feelings you have to put everything you have into it. when you do that then you can really start to get good. its not hard to start out just practice 6-steps and sweeps and pratice freezes but before that you have to do alot of push ups and sit ups and streches you have to be ready to give your whole body into it. like i said its not just fun its not a game its real.
By Oo_JZB_oO
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:45 PM
thank you so much for the comment.. i understand that "it is not just fun its not just dance its a lifestyle its a feelings you have to put everything you have into it." dancing is mylife and i do it for 9 hours a day on the week so i am comitted to doing my practise in luch times at college and at weekends. i do get made to do a few press ups and sit ups at least 100 but i suppose i could all ways do more a day. i tryed a few freezes and i find them ok to handle. i guess i just gotta work on my style a lot more.
By SpellieDev
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 01:31 PM
it can't hurt to google the history of bboying and follow how the moves and the culture evolved. eventually you'll come across a set of moves that you're interested in doing, and you just kinda try it out as you go along.

if you're really new to bboying, my advice is to practice <i>how</i> to transition into the poses instead of the poses themselves for now. watch alot of videos, there's plenty out there on the internet. good luck.
By Oo_JZB_oO
On Sat Nov 04, 2006 07:48 AM
thank you i shall take your advice.
hard
By blkdancer
On Fri Nov 10, 2006 07:01 PM
im new to the dance world and im starting in hip hop, but i was told its not good to do breakin and ballet at the same time,
bboying
By mischiv1
On Mon Nov 27, 2006 03:54 AM
bgirl/bboying is about originality, and listening to the music, many breakers dance for the moves not for the music. YOU HAVE TO ROCK THE BEAT, even when busting a power set, or a footwork set. Advice to beginners, do not give up, you will find there are certain moves/links/transitions etc. that seem impossible,keep at it.

Peace to all dancers

bboy mischiv
By Ballet_Baibemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 19, 2007 04:33 AM
I'm pretty new to breaking too, and I wanna echo what ^ said, don't give up, it seems really hard at first but then it like clicks and you suddenly get it. Try to put yourself intot he dance, don't just copy what your taught, you gotta find your own style, it helps to get the same thing explained to you by loads of different people so you can see their style.
An I just wanna say ^^ is wrong, I have been doing ballet for 15(ish) years and there is no problem with doing both together, the styles are very different coz ballet is very rigid and you have to do things exact and precise and with breaking theres so much more freedom, but I do think both types of dance help the other. Good luck

Ballet_Baibe
By mdarjdeb
On Fri Jan 19, 2007 06:35 PM
where are you located?

ReplySendWatch