Forum: Music

Page:
Page 1 of 4: 1 2 3 4
Music Editing Software (can we make a sticky?)
By kaygirlPremium member
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 09:10 AM
Made sticky by imadanseur (79325) on 2006-11-05 10:23:02

I was going back trying to find previous posts about music editing software, and I thought it might be nice to have a sticky to discuss different products, and then be able to come back to it and add as necessary!

I need some suggestions for software. The main things I want to do are change the tempo and make edits to the music. To be honest, I'd prefer something that doesn't cost a lot to get started.

Thanks!!

Katy :)

94 Replies to Music Editing Software (can we make a sticky?)

re: Music Editing Software (can we make a sticky?)
By cebe23
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 09:28 AM
I downloaded "Easy Audio Editor" from dandans.com (I just found it by searching for music editing software.) You can download a free trial version, but it will not allow you to save the entire song you edit. But you can try it and decide if you like it. It only costs $34.95 to download the full version. It works great for me. It took me a little while to figure things out, but a little bit of playing around and experimenting was all it took. Hope this helps!
By TourJete55
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 03:56 PM
I'd cry if i didn't have Acid Music Pro.....absolutely LOVE IT! especially that i can change the tempo and still maintain the correct pitch so they don't sound like munchkins!
By sassybrunette
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 04:17 PM
Like Katy, I am looking for relatively the same thing. I would love to know what everyone recommends to use if you are a beginner at cutting music, etc.
By Tapdanzer
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 07:48 PM
I have a free program downloaded from the internet and it's called "Audacity". I don't have the website but I'm sure you can google it. It's very easy to use. You also have to download a program that exports files as MP3's so after you cut a song and save it, you can turn it into an MP3 to actually be able to use it. Luckily the program walks you through where and how to install and use the MP3 exporter. Once you have the MP3 exporter it's easy from there. That's probably the most difficult part. This program allows you to change tempo, pitch or speed (as a whole). It also have a lot of other effects! This is a good program for BASIC editting, ie, cutting, fading, changing speed, etc. You can mix more than one song together but you have to come up with your own tranisitions because they don't have extra effect and they don't have an overlap feature (at least I haven't figured it out yet). If you're looking for a more advanced program, this one isn't really it. I hope this helps, sorry it's so long!
By dancengroovegirl
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 07:52 PM
I use Audacity. I really like it and it's easy to use (I'm still trying to figure out the speeding and slowing of a song). But it's easy to cut and mix music. I'm not the most technical person in the world but my brother loaded it on my computer and showed me how to use it (he's a dj and residantal sound guy -and does the sound for my show). Hope this helps.
By CPAJane
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 09:47 PM
I use Sony Soundforge....very easy to use and once you get use to it, makes clean undetectible cuts.
By AdrenalineDancePremium member
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 09:52 PM
I use Goldwave.

I tried Audacity but they only save in a certain format and not in MP3 or at least I couldnt figure out how to do it.
By startapper
On Sat Nov 04, 2006 03:58 PM
I agree with Tourjete55, Acid Pro is great and fairly easy to use. I bought it at Best Buy and haven't had any problems editing music.
By Scattered
On Sat Nov 04, 2006 07:28 PM
I use Audacity, too. It's probably my favorite of the editing software I've used, because it's the most intuitive. You can also save to MP3 after editing. As far as converting before editting, either download some freeware, or, if you're running iTunes, you can use that program to convert easily to AAC. Just look underneath your Advanced menu.
By fossedad
On Sat Nov 04, 2006 07:31 PM
If you're a Mac user, Amadeus is great. It's also shareware -- I think about $30. Fades, cross fades, all kinds of stuff.
By dnc_n_twrl
On Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:00 PM
I also use Sony Acid Music Studio. It's great! I think it cost like $80 at Best Buy, but it was well worth the money! I learned the basics, speeding up/slowing down music and making basic cuts in one night.
By kaygirlPremium member
On Sun Nov 05, 2006 07:46 AM
Thank you all for your input!! Keep the comments coming! :)

Katy
By dixietessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:54 AM
I use Cool Edit Pro, and in my opinion it is one of the best and most user friendly (and it appeared on CSI last week:P..the tech dude was using it.. dunno why though)
By sassybrunette
On Sun Nov 05, 2006 04:40 PM
This thread has been so helpful. I looked around and tried a few different programs and finally settled on Focus Audio Editor which I found at download.com. This is my first time cutting music and I found it to be unbelievably easy. The free trial will not let you save anything, but it is only $29.95 to buy and in my opinion really worth it.
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 05, 2006 05:34 PM
I just got Sony Acid Pro (version 5.0) and it seems to have everything I need. Now I just need to figure out how to use it. Ha!
By lovin2dance
On Sun Nov 05, 2006 08:26 PM
About 4 months ago I purchased Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio. It seems really awsome....I still have a lot to learn though. I dont think it was too too expensive...$40.00 i think?
RE:
By dancinmyazoff
On Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:32 PM
I purchased MixMeister at Comp USA for $29.99 (on sale) and it works perfectly. Check it out mixmeister.com you can try out the more advanced program in the demo version. I like it alot!
By Jeannie1member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 07, 2007 08:58 PM
I downloaded Audacity and I can't get it to work. I imported a song from iTunes but when I hit play, it just basically made a squeak! It played it so fast!!!! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help me out?
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:32 PM
I used Audacity for a little while, but I hated it so I switched to Acid Pro instead. :?
By rosesforlily
On Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:11 AM
I've tried a little of everything. Audacity was my least fave -- I found the functions to be so disconnected (eg, the counter was sometimes not right, I couldn't go to a certain spot on the counter, it didn't have markers, etc) that it made me crazy.

Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition) is certainly right toward the top of my list. I love the ability to play before-and-after-selection (so you can play what something will sound like just before you make the cut). I also love, love, love their time stretch, which allows for stretch without distortion (the anti-chipmunk function). Audition is also the *only* software I've found that allows you a gradual time stretch -- iow, you can get slower and sloowweerr and slllooowwweeerrr smoothly. OTOH, it's really expensive ($350).

Sony Soundforge 8 (and its nonprofessional counterpart, Sony Soundforge Audio Studio) are my current favorites. All the functionality of Adobe Audition, plus this wonderful thing called "markers." You hit M and it makes a "line" in your music. Do that twice, double-click in between your markers, and delete. You're done editing. Cuts and fades and speed changes are flawlessly simple. Soundforge is $300, but Audio Studio is $70 and I haven't yet found any functions I need that Audio Studio doesn't have.

You can get all of the above as free download trial versions that last for 30 days. When you're desperate, you can also find "old" trial versions of Cool Edit out there on the web... so using free trials will get you through your editing season for at least two years, maybe more if you ration it carefully (do all your editing in a month each year).
music editing
By just4tap
On Tue Jan 23, 2007 02:25 AM
Make life easy, make more money, have more fun, enjoy using a computer, and never crash again....wanna do it all and suddenly feel like a computer expert - GET A MAC - we deal in digital media all our lives - we are dancers, performers, and artists - GET A MAC...feel like you bought quality, and personal service - just GO GET A MAC....you will smile each and every time you hear that chime as you power up..... edit music, rectials, competition photos, create DVDs use class and schedule programs....it rocks!!! oh and sound studio is free for the first 12 times you use it...by then you learn it pretty well and you can't wait to buy it for 25 bucks because you actually have fun editing and playing with music... Mac changed my life and helped me single handedly with a powerbook and a Fiance (Bethany) (wedding date 4/21/07) create Dance4teachers and dance4students... that is a good computer.
By DivasDancer
On Tue Jan 23, 2007 05:05 AM
All I have to say is a BIG HUGE Thank You to TYLER!!
I'm a Goldwave user too.(Since he told me about it!)
They have a free trial. The first time I downloaded it I used it for almost a year before it ran out. You also have to download an mp3 converter but it was right there on thier site.
It does everything I need, slow, fast ,cut ,reverse,fade.
It takes some playing around to find it all.
I have made some absolutly seamless cuts on it.
Just yesterday I put 3 entirely diffrent songs together!
My SO was impressed!
By kaygirlPremium member
On Wed Jan 24, 2007 08:13 PM
I've tried Audacity now, and wasn't all that impressed. I only had to cut a couple of songs for our Christmas show, but got frustrated with it a lot! Part of it may have just been that I was rushing, lol. Anyway, thanks for continuing to post on this thread, and add your experiences. I'm definitely going to check out some of the other recommended programs!!

Katy :)
By Tapdog37
On Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:13 AM
I use a few, all very good in their own rights. Some are more costly then others, some are free. Adobe Audition (FREE), Acid, Gold Wave, Cool Edit & Voyetra. I also have a MAC but haven't had time to play with that yet.
Page:
Page 1 of 4: 1 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch