Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

those KICKS
By danitykanepcd
On Mon Nov 06, 2006 07:12 AM

I need help with getting higher kick and i was wondering could anyone help me.I also need help with those like leap jump --- i dont know the name but its like your doing the splits in the air.

2 Replies to those KICKS

re: those KICKS
By KalliGirl
On Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:35 AM
Kicking requires a lot of stamina, and flexibility. I would recomend a runners strech for flexibility in the hip flexers make sure to tuck your plevis under and hold the strech on each side for at least a count of 15 more if possible and work up to being able to touch your knee to the ground. For the hamstrings work on being able to lean over and touch your toes and when you do think about your sits bones pointing up to the sky "strech in both directions" you don't have to have your knees straight if you're not flexible yet the point is to feel it in the muscle above your knee and below your booty. This can be done standing and sitting, while sitting work on this with toes pointed and then again with flexed feet. Another good one is to have a partner strech one leg at a time while you lay on the ground but remember to keep your hip bones down do not allow rotation or you're not streching anything you might have to have the resting leg bent until you're more flexible.

When kicking think about placement, laces (or top of the foot)towards the sky, hips aligned (don't let the working leg's hip come up and the standing one sink) back straight (hold yourself up no hunching it looks horrible and you'll pull on the girl next to you once you hook up) and when you're not kicking you're prepping bend your knees slightly and keep your whole foot on the ground.

I would also google or search for the phrase "kick your hat" to find more tips
re: those KICKS
By Balletbaby2
On Wed Nov 29, 2006 08:09 PM
Well first make sure you are stretched already before practicing these.

*First one is to get some small ankle weights, and stand in a door frame, using it for balance. Proceed to GENTLY swing your leg back and forth (dont attempt to kick your face with these on just yet, but enough where you feel the stretch). Advance each swing a little bit higher until you have reached your peak, then remove the weights and see how high you can go without them. I promise it will be higher. DO NOT DO JUMP KICKS WITH THESE ON, YOU WILL KILL YOURSELF haha.

*practice your spilts EVERY DAY. You will not get those nose-bleed kicks (as we call them) or the Jete (the split in the air) without a split.

*Drink LOTS of water and keep your hips HEALTHY. I know from experience that if you don't maintain your hips, you can end up with Bursitis which later leads to arthritis. Stretch gently and don't force anything.

Hope this helps and if you need any kick technique tips, PM me!

ReplySendWatch