Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

developees
By danitykanepcd
On Mon Nov 06, 2006 07:14 AM

can someone tell me what are developees or show me some pic of some one doing developee cause people keep talking about them and i have no idea what they could possibly be.

4 Replies to developees

re: developees
By mad_hatter_218
On Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:28 AM
A developpe is a "kick" or extension of sorts. It's taught in ballet and it's a french word meaning develope.

Basically you bring one foot up to a retire position. (Foot up to the knee and leg turned out.)
And from there you extend the leg so it is straight, without letting the knee drop and keeping the thigh strong and sturdy.

I don't know if this helps I hope it does.

Ahh here I found a little picture/video.

michaelminn.net . . .
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:55 PM
Great description! But I'll add a few notes. Retire is definitely the correct position, but in most classes, you'll know it as passe (which is technically a movement, not a position). Developpe is simply where your foot goes to your knee(passe) before extending. In this case the term passe IS correct, as your foot passes your knee. But mad_hatter is very correct. You go through retire (the position) while you perform the passe (the movement).

I think I've even confused myself here. But my main point is that retire is a position(foot-to-knee) while passe is a movement(foot-passes-knee). Mad_Hatter's link is good, but many times, a developpe will begin from first, third, or fifth position, which the animation doesn't show.

Start in first. Smoothly bring your foot to retire (passe) and then smoothly extend it fully. It's a kick that goes through your knee.

But I don't like calling it a kick, because you can perform it slowly, too. (develope lent) I'm glad I don't have to teach online, or I'd be screwed.
By mad_hatter_218
On Tue Nov 07, 2006 01:23 PM
Yes i realize that passe and retire are different things, and I have studied ballet and teach it to all ranges of levels at my studio.
But really i think considering this is a dance team board that it would be considered a kick and usually in jazz you do not start a developpe or even a battement from fifth or first. You'd a bal-change prep or step etc. And usually dance teams focus on jazz technique some hip hop and other styles of dancing but I have yet to see a dance team focus mainly on ballet so I was really just trying to put it in a jazz perspective.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 08, 2006 02:02 AM
I have never heard the term retire used in a dance team rehearsal (unless it's a studio dance team, maybe). I've only heard it called passe. I can see that you know the difference, so I didn't mention it for your benefit. And plenty of dance teams do developpe lent (with a layout, just for example), which isn't a kick. I didn't mean to imply that anything you said was wrong, I just thought I'd add to your post.

And in a beginning jazz warm up, developpes don't always have a prep. If you're talking about jazz choreography, then I agree, they usually do.

ReplySendWatch