Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Yoga?
By dancehappy03member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 06, 2006 08:07 PM

Does yogo help you with your flexibility and strength? Or would pilates be better? I've done them both before but I wanted the opinions of some other people. Also whichever one you like better which program do you use or do you go to a gym,etc.? Thanks again.

Keep on dancing

3 Replies to Yoga?

re: Yoga?
By doomed_fairymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 07, 2006 01:03 AM
Personally I'm too lazy for pilates; it requires use of muscles, and it's not dancing, which is two strikes against it right there for me. I know it's extremely good for you, though.

I just started yoga, and I like it much better. It won't do anything for weight loss, as far as I know, but it's great for stretching my muscles. I've been bent into poses I didn't know I could reach!!

Yoga is also helping me realize my breathing. During dance, it's important to breathe right, and I often forget about it.

Meditation at the beginning of my hatha yoga class calms me for the rest of the day.
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Nov 07, 2006 05:12 PM
I prefer yoga. It assists with both flexibility and strength, but intensity and results will vary with which style you focus on. I have to admit that I am into yoga for more than just the physical results. It's a spiritual path for me as well.

I think with either pilates or yoga, you must practice for a while to notice the transformative effects.

For yoga or pilates, I'd steer away from a gym and head for a specialty studio, but I am sure you could rcieve quality instruction at a gym. I prefer a yoga center with a unified philosophy.
By DanceAngel120Premium member
On Fri Nov 17, 2006 04:17 PM
While both will do slightly different things for you, both pilates and yoga will help increase your strength and flexibility. I like yoga, and though I don't practice regularly, I have done it throughout my life since I was a very small child.

I do however, do pilates, and you can just ask anyone who knows me, I am almost literally a walking advertimsement for it. Once a week for the past year an a half (a little less maybe), I have taken an hour of private pilates instruction at a pilates studio (aka, with full pilates equipment, not just mat work). The changes in my body have been quite extreme. I was a very tiny child, but when I went through puberty I put on a lot more weight. Pilates has basically reversed that entirely. I'm now very toned and look like I have lost a lot of weight (I haven't, but that's only because I gained a lot of muscle mass). Because of pilates, I have people constantly telling me how fanastic I look, and saying how much weight I've lost. One of the best things about it though, was the effect was immediate. You'd think that what NadiaLadida said about needing to practice a while before you see real results was true, because that's what logic would tell you. But for me at least, I went to ONE session and people started saying "you know, I don't know why, but you look really good. You look like you lost weight." And I do mean that quite literally, after one class. It's also helped my flexibility, and there is actually quite a lot of stretching in pilates (it just depends on what excercises you do). However, that may be because I take private sessions, so they are extremely tailored to what I want (though, the first time I ever took pilates was in a mat class, and I had the exact same results with people noticing).

It's really a matter of personal choice. Some people may like one, some people may like another. Many people like both, and there are different reasons why each are great. But you'll definatley see results with either one of them.

ReplySendWatch