Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Irish - Beginners
The official "How to put on a wig" thread! (karma: 7)
By missingAcastlePremium member Comments: 1945, member since Mon May 10, 2004
On Sat Nov 11, 2006 06:22 PM
Edited by missingAcastle (93112) on 2006-11-11 18:28:45
Edited by missingAcastle (93112) on 2006-11-11 18:29:09
Edited by missingAcastle (93112) on 2006-11-11 19:42:46
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-11-12 02:21:23

Image hotlink - 'http://i7.tinypic.com/4hx53jl.jpg'
Getting your wig for the first time can be very confusing. Here's some instructions for applying your wig. This is for the usual hair types, different hair lengths may need different insturctions. Also, these are my instructions, others may have their own ways.

1. Full head wigs

NOTE: Remember to put your hairband over your head before you do any of this. It should be hanging at your neck like a necklace.
step one
Create anchors at the top of your head to secure the front of your wig on. Divide your hair in two and put two seperate ponytails secure to your head. Afterwards, if you have long hair, you might want to gradually attach hair ties as you go down.

step two
Create a bottom anchor. Apply two low ponytails at the bottom of your head. Make sure they're close to your head and have a little room for the wig to attach under them. (One single pony tail can also be done.) After, if you have long hair you may want to bring your hair up and pin it close to your head. After this is done ALL HAIR should be pulled back.(Except for your bangs if you're not pulling them back.)

step three
Attach the bottom of your wig. You can usually tell the bottom from the top because the bottem has a tag on it. Hold the bottom comb and push it into the anchors you created in step two. Make sure it's secure.

step four
Attach the top of your wig. Grab the top comb of your wig and pull forward. Attach the front so it slips into the anchors you created in step one. Make sure it is secure by jumping up and down to make sure it won't fall off. Now, bring up your headband. You may want to pin your wig on the top, the bottem, and sides. It shouldn't feel loose.

2. Bun wigs

step one
Create the anchors for your wig. Tightly pull your hair up and apply a pony tail right where the top of your head and the back of your head intersect. Then, twist hair into a bun and pin it or apply a hair band tightly.

step two
Anchor your wig on. Apply the bottom comb first. You can tell the top from the bottom because the bottom usually has a tag. Make sure the comb fits right into the anchor. Next, pull the bun wig around your bun and apply the top comb. Make sure it is pushed into the top of your anchor.

step three
Some bun wigs have a drawstring. If your wig does, pull the drawstring so your bun wig is tight around your bun. Tuck the string in and pin it so it cannot be noticed. If you like, pin your bun wig in place. Now, apply your headband.

1. Banana clip wigs

step one
Part your hair down the middle of your head. Now, take one of those sides of hair and create anchors. You can do one of two things to create anchors. French braid the section of the hair down the back of your head. Or, apply a pony tail securly at the top of your head and gradually group your air and apply hair ties down the back of your head. Do this to both sides of your parted head. If you have long hair, pin the excess hair tightly to the back of your hair. At the time, NO HAIR should be free. (Unless you have bangs.)

step two
Apply your wig onto your anchors. Take one comb and tightly tuck it into the outside of one of your anchors. Now, bring the other side of your wig over your hair to the other anchor. Now, take this comb and tuck it into the other anchor. Lastly, put your headband on.

NOTE: With banana wigs, you shouldn't have to use bobby pins. If you really need to use pins, make sure you don't bin the back of your banana wig. It may create too much tension and the clips might pop open.

If anyone else has anything to add, feel free to add on! I hope this helps all of those who are completely lost!

-Chri

36 Replies to The official "How to put on a wig" thread!

re: The official "How to put on a wig" thread!
By dansinbeest Comments: 453, member since Mon Aug 07, 2006
On Sat Nov 11, 2006 06:32 PM
very informative
By lauren503 Comments: 583, member since Thu Mar 16, 2006
On Sat Nov 11, 2006 09:05 PM
Good post, but just to let you know...

You should post the website where you got this info from. That way, you're not "stealing" (even though that was not your intent), and, people can refer to that site if they need to.

I know there are lots of other ways as well, so I would personally love to hear more ideas, please!
On Sat Nov 11, 2006 09:14 PM
Some of the main points are from www.irishwigs.com

-Chri
By SpiffyLlama78 Comments: 1465, member since Fri Apr 22, 2005
On Sat Nov 11, 2006 09:19 PM
Edited by SpiffyLlama78 (129054) on 2006-11-11 21:37:03 llllllllllama time
When I had a banana clip wig, I never needed two anchors. I would always make a ponytail and just pull the hair halfway through at the end to make a messy bun kind of thing. Then I would just clip the wig on, making sure the front was clipped together.

It worked for me.

Good post.

EDIT: I also had freakishly thick hair, so maybe thats a reason why I never needed two anchors?
On Sat Nov 11, 2006 09:28 PM
There's tons of different ways, this is just the way it's worked for me. Thanks for offering something new!

-Chri
re: The official "How to put on a wig" thread! (karma: 1)
By EireLibramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2482, member since Thu Aug 21, 2003
On Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:52 PM
Here is a great link to the "4 anchor system" Guaranteed that your wig will never fall off... no bobby pins either!

poweririshdance.smugmug.com . . .

Enjoy!
By adajane Comments: 303, member since Mon Nov 13, 2006
On Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:09 PM
Very informative! I've also been told that if you give yourself two french braids the wig is bound to stay on. Also, when I bought my wig the lady told me to make two buns further on top of my head, two at the bottom, and one big one kind of in the middle. Apparently the one in the middle holds your wig up and makes it look more full.
By moes_mom Comments: 446, member since Thu Jul 07, 2005
On Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:46 AM
Another great site with a how-to wig information is
ryanacademy.com . . .
This site saved me.....
By irishdance10 Comments: 71, member since Thu Dec 14, 2006
On Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:17 AM
i thought that was very interesting! my mom and i always have a hard time of putting on my wig! i finally understand the anchor business. :O
By cuileannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 478, member since Fri Dec 15, 2006
On Sat Dec 16, 2006 08:26 PM
That is all good stuff to know, but how about, who decided irish dancers need to wear radical curls in the first place? and is it true that sometimes you can wear a bun?
re: The official
By HollyRealta Comments: 24, member since Tue Jun 12, 2007
On Wed Jun 13, 2007 06:58 AM
I am going to be wearing my 1st wig at the All Irelands on Sat 22nd June, so I will try out your suggestions and see if they work!
re: The official
By ghilliegirlan Comments: 373, member since Mon Jun 18, 2007
On Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:47 AM
this is a great guide by the way. but I have a major problem i have a very full heavy wig and a whole lot of hair to put under it, no matter what i do my hair always falls out and brings my wig down with it, it is my first wig and i just got it so i haven't worn it to a feis yet just worn it to figure out how to use it I'm going to a feis pretty soon so i am in desperate need of advice HELP!!!!
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2118, member since Sun Sep 02, 2007
On Sun Sep 02, 2007 05:25 PM
if your hair is pretty long, then do the whole anchor thing, but when pinning your hair so it wont fall into the wig, make a bun. even if it a messy bun, no one will see it underneath. just no strands fall out. it can the pny-tail kind where you dont pull your hair through the pony holder all the way, just so onlg as it will stay. you can even use many holders for one pony tail. for the anchors, instead of doing 2 anchors, do like 3 or 4 and make sure they are really tight. i used ot have really long and thick hair, and this is what i did. and plnety o' hairspray, lol.
By GanAinmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 585, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Oct 28, 2007 01:32 PM
When I used to wear a full head wig, I would pleat my hair in to two pleats [one at either side] then cross them at the back, giving my wig some grip. I have VERY thin hair, so a ponytail never kept my wig on! I now where a bun wig- a top tip to getting hair to stay in place is wash your hair, dry it put LOADS of hairspray in it as you pull it up into a pony tail, then apply gel. Also, I wear a bun ring under my bun wig to make it look better. You can get them cheaply at most chemists.
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Fri Nov 09, 2007 01:30 PM
^ i do that too, only we do french braids, not just regular ones. it works wonders. really gives the wig something to grip on to.

what i really like about this method though, is that i can walk around the feis like that without looking like a freak lol. before we were using the four anchor system (with all the ponytails). omg it looked awful. also, there was a lot of guess work involved, and it was really difficult to get my hair to cooperate. braids work perfectly, and in the event that my mom can't make it to one of my feises again, she can do my hair before i leave, instead of me having to have my friend's mom do it... who screwed it up :(.
By irishstepdancer1 Comments: 34, member since Sat Nov 17, 2007
On Thu Nov 29, 2007 08:48 AM
Thank you. This information really helped me a lot.
By LovetoLiveIrish Comments: 17, member since Sun Mar 16, 2008
On Tue Mar 25, 2008 02:49 PM
Hmm. I have never needed Anchors, but i use bobby pins. What i do is, a small pony tail, consiting of the hair in front of my ears and then the rest of the hair in a poytail. Roll the top pony into a bun type thing and then pull the bottom ponytail up and around the little bun you made. Secure it with another tie. Then, if on your full wig, you want it to sit higher (as the fashion currently is) put like a bun head on. You can get them at a store. They are larger ponys that have fake hair attatched... these push the wig up higher. Just wrap it around the bun on top of your head, whcih should be sitting,where you hand would if you put a fist on top of your head. Also, in some of the newer wigs, for the highness, there is a pouch in the front, push a sock into that pouch an that will really give you some lift!!! Just make sure to secure your wig down with bobbypins, it could be disastorous if it falls off!!!!
By irishsaoirsemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 249, member since Fri Jul 18, 2008
On Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:41 AM
Tahnks for the post. Now I hopefully manage to put my bun wig on :O)
By TheStoryTellermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Mon May 19, 2008
On Thu Aug 28, 2008 02:39 PM
I have a full wig, Ido my ponytails much differently then either of the sites explained! I have one large bun on the top of my head, and two smaller buns lower down on the bottom of my head. I have a side fringe that is fairly long so Ijust gather it up and stick it in the top bun :) I'm glad I'm only novice/ PW and I don't have to start worrying about poofs and swoops and quiffs or any of those yet!
By irishgirl26member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 429, member since Sun Sep 07, 2008
On Thu Sep 18, 2008 05:27 PM
thanks so much for posting this thread! I will be wearing a wig for my first feis so this is a big help.
By SydneysMAID Comments: 37, member since Thu Jan 08, 2009
On Sun Jan 18, 2009 06:21 PM
Thank you so much for all of the advise. Maybe now there will be less screaming at wig time.
By alycaz Comments: 62, member since Tue May 30, 2006
On Sat Mar 14, 2009 07:59 PM
If you have short/shorter hair (like myself) I recommend using the Goody's Ouchless small clear elastics (note you WILL need to stretch them out a little so they don't break!). Using these small elastics I make two small buns on top and two on the bottom. Then attach the wig starting with the bottom. You might need to use bobby pins on the side (I recommend two per side) to keep the wig secure.

If you have REALLY short hair then make three ponytails on top and a few on the bottom. To keep the rest of your hair from showing you may want to make a few others to hide under the wig.
By RealDealTrebler Comments: 254, member since Thu Mar 22, 2007
On Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:22 AM
Hmm... These seem fairly good, but....... they're so SIMPLE!!!! The way I do it is always so complicated (of course, mine is hardly ever the same as its been before but i think I've got a good one now.)

The way I do it now is like this: I make a few ponytails around my head (two underneath to anchor the bottom comb, then two behind and a bit above my ears, bringing the bottom ones up into it, (these ones are to keep the wig around my face so it doesn't pull way back on the sides of my head), then I take those and pull them up into another ponytail near the top of my head. I also have one pony tail right in the middle on the top of my head.

I then braid all of these (3) and wrap them around the middle one to make a big bun, which gives my wig lift. I then take the front of my hair (which I left out to poof or swoop) and poof or swoop it then just wrap the extra ends around either the bun (if its a poof) or the bottom ponytails (if its a swoop). put the wig on, and bobbypin. I do an X over each anchor.

That's how I do my full wig.
By MissTally Comments: 5, member since Fri Apr 03, 2009
On Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:55 PM
Thanks a lot for the info. Every time a feis comes up my mom ends up spending an an hour or two trying to remember how to put the wig on. We'll definitely follow these directions next time. = ) Also, would a french braid work too, or would the wig not secure properly to it and slip off?
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch