Popular Highland

Saanich Fair (VHDA), Victoria BC - August 30, 2014 by highlandnorth
Judge: Kathleen Gilbert, UK Afternoon Results Apologies for any errors. Premier under 12 (6...

Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates/Yoga
yoga to relieve cramps? en>fr fr>en
By soulfiremember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 870, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Nov 11, 2006 07:59 PM

so i get horrible horrible cramps and pretty much i don't want to go on the pill or take heavy medication other than advil and i've heard that there are some yoga moves/sequences that can help relieve cramps. is this true? if so what moves are they? and how do you do them?

thanks so much!

3 Replies to yoga to relieve cramps?

re: yoga to relieve cramps? en>fr fr>en
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4229, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Mon Nov 13, 2006 06:42 AM
Basically, your period is your body's time to slow down and rest. A restorative yoga practice is recommended at this time, with bolsters, blocks, and props. I would avoid brisk vinyasa and inversions - which are contraindicated during menstruation and pregnancy.

I personally recommend Balasana (Child's Pose), Dhanurasana (Bow Pose), Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend),Baddha Konasana (Bound Angle Pose), and Savasana (Corpse Pose). You can find the postures Here, as I am too lazy to go over all of them. :P

I suffered from terrible cramps when I was young. After my daughter was born, the severity decreased, but I still have them pretty bad. Eat plenty of bananas (potassium) and healthy chocolate - the kind without all the additives (magnesium/manganese). Up your calcium intake as well.

A hot bath is the best on-the-spot cure for cramps that I know of. As soon as that hot water hits, cramps are gone, and it's naptime.

If you plan on using yoga as a long-term weapon against cramps, I'd recommend buying a book or video. I really like Shiva Rea, and she has a Lunar Flow DVD of restorative vinyasa practice (but avoid the inversion sequence). Any good yoga book should have an explanation of the healing properties of each posture. B.K.S. Iyengar's "Light on Yoga" is a good place to start. It's a thorough pictoral glossary of all yoga postures, and will tell you which poses to practice and not to practice during your period. It's also inexpensive and readily availible in most bookstores.

Hope you find something that helps! Cramps are no fun.
By balletsfriendmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5772, member since Thu Aug 30, 2001
On Mon Nov 13, 2006 08:37 PM
Ananda balasana, or the happy baby pose, is supposed to be really good for cramps. I haven't been able to try it yet, but I get awful cramps.

1. Come to lie on the back.

2. Bend the knees into the chest.

3. Open the knees bringing them towards the armpits.

4. Stack each ankle directly over the knee, so that the shins are perpendicular to the floor.

5. Flex the feet.

6. Hold the outer edges of the feet at you draw the knees towards the floor.

Image hotlink - 'http://z.about.com/d/yoga/1/8/D/2/happybaby.jpg'
By balletsfriendmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5772, member since Thu Aug 30, 2001
On Mon Nov 13, 2006 08:39 PM
Edited by balletsfriend (12655) on 2006-11-13 20:45:26 double post...
You should check out this book, "Um, Like... OM: A Girl Goddess's Guide to Yoga" by Evan Cooper.

It has some poses in it, and she talks a lot about how yoga can help with your life.

ReplySendWatch