Forum: Adults / Baby On Board

Baby On Board
Carseat Safety, ALL Parents Watch This! (karma: 4)
By Brookemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3803, member since Mon Dec 02, 2002
On Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:46 PM
Edited by Brooke (50868) on 2006-11-11 23:52:13
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-11-13 18:53:36

Someone just sent me this video link about carseat safety and how important it is to use a 5 point harness system. This is NOT just important for babies!

Please watch it and share it with other parents.

www.youtube.com . . .

~Brooke~

23 Replies to Carseat Safety, ALL Parents Watch This!

re: Carseat Safety, ALL Parents Watch This!
By Note2Selfmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 380, member since Thu Sep 07, 2006
On Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:00 AM
aww that is so sad :(
thanks for sharing it, i didnt know that
By Hope_And_Lovemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1173, member since Sun Mar 12, 2006
On Sun Nov 12, 2006 05:24 AM
Edited by Hope_And_Love (153397) on 2006-11-12 05:32:06
oh my thats so sad..i actually cried ( ia m such a cry baby)
ok when i get ,my car and have babies im getting a 5point harness seatbelt

i found this while searching through youtube is this a 5 point harnes carseat for littlely's www.youtube.com . . .
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Sun Nov 12, 2006 05:29 AM
You know, I don't know why all seats don't have a 5-point harness. Wouldn't it be safer for the driver and adult passengers too?

Helen
By Queen_Jojo Comments: 4947, member since Sat Aug 27, 2005
On Sun Nov 12, 2006 06:48 AM
Edited by Queen_Jojo (139716) on 2006-11-12 06:53:38
I really think those parents are amazing, even through their grief they have done that to save someone else going through the pain they are feeling right now.
Here in the UK the law has recently changes concerning carrying kids in cars. If a child is under 12 or 135cm they have to be suitably restrained. So many people carry small kids on booster seats which as we have seen from that video not sufficent. Surely if you can afford to buy a car you can afford to buy the best car seat too.

Queen_Jojo

I have posted the video onto the disco parents forum as I feel it needs to be seen by all parents.
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10100, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Sun Nov 12, 2006 07:41 AM
Thank you so much for posting Brooke. My husband is so anxious to get our daughter out of a car seat and into a regular belt and she is only 3. I keep trying to explain to him the regulations, but talking to him is like talking to a brick wall. I hope this video will change his mind.
By Queen_Jojo Comments: 4947, member since Sat Aug 27, 2005
On Sun Nov 12, 2006 08:30 AM
Thank you Brooke, just to let you know one of the mums on the parents forum saw this video and is going out tomorrow to buy a 5 point harness seat for her child. I wish those parents could now see that through their loss many lives will now be saved.

Queen_Jojo
By Brookemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3803, member since Mon Dec 02, 2002
On Sun Nov 12, 2006 09:23 AM
Thanks for watching everyone. I urge you to share this video with ALL your parents friends and on any other forum you might belong to that has parents. I cried when I watched it too, don't worry :)

I can't wait to show it to my best friend. She has a 3 year old daughter and just moved her to a booster seat with a lap belt because by law that's technically okay. It didn't seem safe to me, so I want her to see the video.

~Brooke~
By JustineTarinimember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1865, member since Tue Jun 14, 2005
On Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:05 AM
Thanks Brooke! I will make sure to show my sister that before she has her baby in early December.
Justine
By PrincesSydney913member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 677, member since Sat Feb 18, 2006
On Sun Nov 12, 2006 07:48 PM
Wow I had no idea. I'm sending to my Mom now to get it moving among her friends!
Thanks for sharing!
By Ayokamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 858, member since Sun Sep 25, 2005
On Sun Nov 12, 2006 09:38 PM
Edited by Ayoka (141798) on 2006-11-12 21:39:07 Typo.
oz_helen wrote:
You know, I don't know why all seats don't have a 5-point harness. Wouldn't it be safer for the driver and adult passengers too?

My husband and I have talked about this a lot and plan on upgrading to racing seats with five point harnesses once we can afford to do so. Race car drivers survive numerous crashes at much higher speeds than civilians drive at. This is due to the five point harness, roll cage, and helmet. I have no idea why the five point harness and roll cages aren't mandatory for all vehicles. The number of lives it would save would be outstanding. I encourage you to consider this option not only for your children but for yourselves too.
re: Carseat Safety, ALL Parents Watch This! (karma: 1)
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:27 PM
My husband and I have talked about this a lot and plan on upgrading to racing seats with five point harnesses once we can afford to do so. Race car drivers survive numerous crashes at much higher speeds than civilians drive at. This is due to the five point harness, roll cage, and helmet. I have no idea why the five point harness and roll cages aren't mandatory for all vehicles. The number of lives it would save would be outstanding. I encourage you to consider this option not only for your children but for yourselves too.

Another reason is because their cars are very lightweight and absorb impact well. But have you ever tried to get someone out of a 5-point harness really quick? It's not easy. Same with the racing seat. Even if you cut the belts, it's still very hard to extricate someone from a 5 point harness and racing seat in a hurry. I've had to do it, it's not easy. As for roll cages, it takes a specialized tool to cut through one. This may sound bad, but cars are made to crumple, it's way safer because it reduces the impact on the human body.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Mon Nov 13, 2006 06:44 PM
^

My mother was a trama nurse and she has basically said the same thing.

Cars these days are made for safety.....and one of the ways they help try to keep you safe is to absorb the impact of an accident by crumbling. She also said that for adults the 5 point belting system is just not practical because it is soooo hard to get people out of them in an emergency.

Here is the little boys memorial webpage.

kyledavidmiller.memory-of.com
By Nicola_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2257, member since Sun Dec 21, 2003
On Thu Nov 16, 2006 03:40 AM
Hiya

Thanks brooke for sharing this video. I like everyone else was really moved by it.

I own and run a childrens day care centre and see parents loading their children into cars all the time. I have decided to include these links in my monthly newsletter, encouraging the parents to take a look and ensure that their children are secure in the car.

I think that if this encourages even one of them to change then its worthwhile. Thanks for bringing it to our attentions.

Nicola x
By misschristie Comments: 626, member since Thu Jul 25, 2002
On Fri Nov 24, 2006 07:45 AM
I sent this link to every parent I know, and made my boyfriend watch it. My brother said that after seeing it, he decided his daughter was going to be in a 5 point harness until she was 19.

My step-daughter who is 6, spend weekends with her great-gran, and I've seen her allowing Lizzie to ride in the front seat. Her reasoning was, "well, I don't have air bags, so it should be fine." After seeing this video, I've put my foot down, and insisted she be in the back. Kids are safest in the back until they are at least 13.

Thanks for sharing this eye-opening video, I'm going to keep my eyes open for the Britax seats.
By Five678 Comments: 363, member since Tue Dec 14, 2004
On Mon Dec 04, 2006 03:41 PM
i just wanted to say that i cried when i watched the seatbelt video, too lol.
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Tue Dec 12, 2006 09:41 AM
His sister looks so lonely now. :C
By BalletDancerP Comments: 13, member since Sun Oct 29, 2006
On Tue Dec 12, 2006 06:48 PM
That is so sad. That is very beautiful children in that video. If only I could get my sister to watch this. Oh just to let other people know-this surprised me. I was taking my niece and nephew to the beach one day. They (were) are 2 and 5. The one I was taking them to was about 2 and half hours a way-pretty long for children of that age. We stopped along the way. I was shocked to look in the back seat;the little two year old found out how to undo her car seat belt-that is in her little car seat. I am assuming she got bored during the long drive and even with all the toys she had to play with-she played with-AND DISCOVERED-how that latch on her car seat works.
By pasdebourretenduPremium member Comments: 1831, member since Mon Oct 24, 2005
On Wed Jan 17, 2007 02:03 AM
Another cry-baby here! Just what I needed to see to make me close this laptop.
(Thanks, its way past my bedtime)
Seriously though,that is very informative, but not at all what I was expecting :(
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10100, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Thu Feb 12, 2009 07:16 PM
For those of us not fortunate enough to afford a Britax, the Graco Nautilus is an excellent seat at an affordable price. Cheyenne loves hers!

www.walmart.com . . .
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:06 PM
Also, I'd REALLY encourage you mommies to look into keeping baby rear-facing long. Any kids I have will be rear-facing until 30 pounds, or longer. I know a common worry is that their legs will be a little cramped, but better that than a broken neck.

Both the American Academy of Pediatrics and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommend rear-facing until 30-35 pounds, however long the seat allows.

babyproducts.about.com . . .

I know it's a bit off topic, but since it goes with baby safety in the car, I figured I'd toss it out there :)
On Tue Mar 03, 2009 09:21 PM
Kekoa wrote:

Also, I'd REALLY encourage you mommies to look into keeping baby rear-facing long. Any kids I have will be rear-facing until 30 pounds, or longer. I know a common worry is that their legs will be a little cramped, but better that than a broken neck.

Both the American Academy of Pediatrics and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommend rear-facing until 30-35 pounds, however long the seat allows.

babyproducts.about.com . . .

I know it's a bit off topic, but since it goes with baby safety in the car, I figured I'd toss it out there :)

Not off topic at all! This is also very important. We rear faced Gavyn until the rear facing weight limit of his seat. I'd still have him rear facing if I could afford to buy another seat from Europe, because they sell some with higher weight limits.
By Katharinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4266, member since Tue Apr 08, 2003
On Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:57 PM
I think that this thread should be revived. With some more links:

www.joelsjourney.org
The story of a little boy names Joel who almost suffered from internal decapitation. Very moving and educating story.

www.kyledavidmiller.org
Kyle was ejected from the car, and killed. This is the website to the video that was posted by Brooke.

Some great links for general information:
www.carsafety4kids.com . . .
www.car-safety.org . . .

The American Academy of Pediatrics has released new suggestions for rear facing. At least 2 year, or until the height/weight limit has been reached on their car seat.
aapnews.aappublications.org . . .

Sofia is almost four years, 36 pounds, and about 39 inches. She is still rear facing and will be until she exceeds the capabilities of her current car seat (45 pounds). Then she will be forward facing in a 5 point harness until she exceeds 80 pounds.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions or for more resources.
By Hazumu Comments: 11, member since Sun Nov 15, 2009
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:28 AM
Two generations of my family have dedicated the last 15-20 years of their lives working in child passenger safety. This is the best website they've come across over the years in terms of reasons for keeping your child rear-facing.
thecarseatlady.com

ReplySendWatch