Forum: Advice / Support

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: Don't Worry...About A Thing... 'Cos Every Little Thing's.... Gonna Be alright! (Pic inside)
By DejaDerangemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6188, member since Fri Mar 26, 2004
On Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:03 PM
Edited by DejaDerange (88259) on 2007-01-01 12:09:22
I was saying that it WOULD BE rude of you to diminish a real problem that someone has. I didn't say your post was rude. You may think that that's splitting hairs, but there's a world of difference. Your post? Well-intentioned, though perhaps a little misguided. Now, the fact that it's rude to tell someone their problems are less important than they are? It's a true statement. That is rude. It is other things as well --- hurtful, malicious... Now, do I think that your post was created with any of those in mind? Not necessarily... but the point remains that comparing my life to those of "less fortunate people" may not be a good strategy.

You do not know who the people on this site are, beyond their usernames and their words. You do not know what I have lived through. Granted, I have always had warm, loving parents and food on our table. We have always had a table to put food on, even. I will not pretend that I am a starving orphan, or something. The point remains, however, that bad things HAVE happened to some members on this site, and perhaps some of the points on your list hit a little closer to home than you might like to think.

I don't feel that I have to say publicly (or privately, for that matter) what bad things have happened to me in order for this point to be made, but things have happened to me that absolutely make me a statistic. I'm personally very touchy about people telling me that things in my life aren't as bad as they seem.

And just remember... not every member agrees with every post. Even the stickies. :) Doesn't mean much beyond that.

M
re: Don't Worry...About A Thing... 'Cos Every Little Thing's.... Gonna Be alright! (Pic inside)
By Dancer_EJ Comments: 40, member since Tue Oct 10, 2006
On Wed Jan 10, 2007 03:11 PM
aaaarrrgggghhhh i have just had a rele bad daii and reading this maybee it wasnt so bad after all we shud be gratefull 4 what we have!!! great post xxxx
By Dancer_EJ Comments: 40, member since Tue Oct 10, 2006
On Wed Jan 10, 2007 03:12 PM
Removed by pharmadancer (87219) on 2007-01-29 06:50:04 double post
aaaarrrgggghhhh i have just had a rele bad daii and reading this maybee it wasnt so bad after all we shud be gratefull 4 what we have!!! great post xxxx
By danceaway33 Comments: 312, member since Wed May 24, 2006
On Sat Jan 20, 2007 08:53 PM
thank you thank you. great post...it really made me think.
By KangarooPawmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2463, member since Wed May 18, 2005
On Thu Mar 01, 2007 01:18 PM
This is a great post. However, I have to agree both ways, meaning I am also a little touchy about people telling me my problems are petty and that other people have it far worse than me.. everyone knows there're people out there with less than us, but it's not like we know what it's like for them or like they know what it's like for us. Therefore, everyone has the same feelings. But it is nice to stop and think about all the good things we have that others don't. It kind of makes us feel better about our own lives. =]

♥KP
By dancetilyadropx3member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 560, member since Sat Apr 22, 2006
On Sat Mar 03, 2007 08:22 PM
This is so good thanks :)
By irish_4_life Comments: 1094, member since Tue Jul 11, 2006
On Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:27 PM
Hmmm is it me, or are there 29 replies when it says 30?

Well there will be 30 now but it will probably say 31! Hehe can you say fuss pot!
By RhythmNSoleQT Comments: 41, member since Fri Mar 02, 2007
On Fri Mar 16, 2007 01:58 PM
Very cute! I love these types of things! Why ex. is this pg-13 though?
By Burkegirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 821, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Sat Mar 31, 2007 06:27 PM
thank you, this was such a wonderful post.i really appreciated you taking the time to create something so valid and helpful. karma to you!
By lEANERS Comments: 36, member since Sat Apr 21, 2007
On Thu May 03, 2007 02:46 PM
wow that was a really nice post. im glad you put it up
it gave me a different way to look at things
i think im gonna print it and hang it up like in my binder or soemthing so wehn i have a bad day i can look at that

thanks..
By lEANERS Comments: 36, member since Sat Apr 21, 2007
On Thu May 03, 2007 02:49 PM
wow that was a really nice post. im glad you put it up
it gave me a different way to look at things
i think im gonna print it and hang it up like in my binder or soemthing so wehn i have a bad day i can look at that

thanks..
By DanceManiacLauzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2475, member since Sun Jan 28, 2007
On Wed May 30, 2007 12:47 PM
aww wow great post made me not take things for granted!
On Thu Jun 14, 2007 09:42 AM
God Bless you all - i never realised how greatful you guys can be :)
re: Don't Worry...About A Thing... 'Cos Every Little Thing's.... Gonna Be alright! (Pic inside) (karma: 1)
By Ishkabiblelymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 832, member since Sat Oct 23, 2004
On Sun Jun 24, 2007 02:33 AM
Kind of a rant here: I tend to get emotional about unimportant things when I'm stressed, and sometimes people try to cheer me up with comments like the ones in this post. I have never, EVER, been even the slightest bit cheered up by someone telling me about how great my life is. Essentially, what you are doing is telling me I don't have the right to be upset. Its probably the least supportive thing you could say. And it makes it so that, on top of feeling upset, I now feel guilty about feeling upset. Yeah, that really makes me feel better.

Okay, end rant. But seriously, I've never understood why the reminder that other people have sucky lives makes people happier. It's kind of sadistic if you think about it.
By ilovechelseamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1247, member since Fri May 25, 2007
On Mon Aug 06, 2007 05:06 PM
lovely post! karma!!!
:D
By highlandhearts03 Comments: 23, member since Tue Aug 28, 2007
On Sat Sep 08, 2007 04:48 PM
great post!
thank you for taking the time to post this
it was great to read!
By lottiekinsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 701, member since Sun Jun 03, 2007
On Wed Nov 14, 2007 07:42 AM
That did make me smile (:
On Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:15 AM
Don't thank me. If it made just one persons day that little bit happier it was all worth it
By st_88_keys Comments: 27, member since Sun Nov 25, 2007
On Sun Dec 02, 2007 02:56 PM
I loved this post. It was so cute and it brightened my day a bit. And even if we all think our problems are big, thinking about how much we take for granted puts our lives into perspective, no matter how cynical some people are about this post.
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4726, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:19 AM
I too can see both sides of this post. Yes, I understand that we should never complain of what we do have. We're fortunate to have it, since there are many other people in the world who have little or nothing. However, the problems we encounter in our lives are still major to us. I too get the feeling that this post gives the impression that we have no problems at all.

An example: I have had epilepsy in the past that was uncontrollable with medicine. I had one to three seizures daily, and had to have surgery to get them stopped. I understand that some of the other patients who have epilepsy have a seizure every few minutes, and some patients have to have half (yes, half) of the brain removed, but I had only a tiny section of my brain that was causing the seizures removed. I'm thankful that I've been seizure-free for ten years now. However, that does not mean I had it any easier than these other patients. I still could not go anywhere or do anything before my surgery. I still had to have brain surgery. I still have to take thousands of milligrams of medicine daily.

As well as one of the above posters said, I too am wondering why this is PG-13, and on the Girls Only. Everything in this post can apply to the guys, too.
By brownskin6 Comments: 21, member since Wed Feb 13, 2008
On Wed Feb 13, 2008 05:06 PM
my friend just came back from Kenya and said the same thing! this is a great post! :)
By slimdancer32 Comments: 8, member since Thu Feb 28, 2008
On Mon Mar 03, 2008 05:43 PM
Wow, I'm in utter love with this post.
It's so true. We take so many things for granted every day.
Thanks for reminding us that we truly are lucky!
By slimdancer32 Comments: 8, member since Thu Feb 28, 2008
On Mon Mar 03, 2008 05:44 PM
Wow, I'm in utter love with this post.
It's so true. We take so many things for granted every day.
Thanks for reminding us that we truly are lucky!
By justdancee26 Comments: 6, member since Fri Jan 16, 2009
On Fri Jan 16, 2009 07:40 PM
I love this! its so true and i agree with every word.
nice post :)
By madseasonPremium member Comments: 1975, member since Wed Jan 04, 2006
On Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:12 AM
I think the idea behind this post is great, however many people who use wheelchairs would argue that they arent 'confined' to a wheelchair, but rather that a wheelchair allows them to have the same ability to move as anyone else. As someone who needs a wheelchair sometimes, I really hate it when people act like a wheelchair is a 'confining' device. Or that people who use wheelchairs should be pitied. I am very thankful to have a wheelchair at times, otherwise I'd be stuck in bed. You don't need to pity people in wheelchairs, many of us are healthier than people out there walking around...

Saying that people should be thankful they aren't in a wheelchair is a little hurtful. Wheelchair users can be happy, active, joyful people too...
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch