Popular Irish

Irish Dance Organisations and Associations 2014 by reel_faerie85
Most schools will belong to a governing body or association. Here are the main ones around the...

Forum: Adults / Adult Dancers

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Adult Dancers
23 Questions about Dance!! (survey) en>fr fr>en
By Tittlemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2101, member since Sun Jun 19, 2005
On Wed Nov 15, 2006 01:14 PM
Locked by tiny_dancer_x0 (133797) on 2007-05-22 18:48:11 old

Hey guys! Well there are many different adult dancers here of ages, experience, and level so I thought it would be interesting to find out a little about each dancer here!

1. Age:

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life?

3. Number of years dancing:

4. Types of dance studied:

5. Hours per week you study dance:

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?:

7. Favorite style of dance:

8. Why do you dance?:

9. What made you start dancing?:

10. How long do you plan on dancing?:

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?:

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?:

13. ....and your weakness?:

14. What are you currently working to improve on?:

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?:

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? :

17. What keeps you coming back for more?:

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?:

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?:

20. Do you have any performing experience? :

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc):

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!:

23. Got a picture you wish to show us?:

ENJOY!

61 Replies to 23 Questions about Dance!! (survey)

re: 23 Questions about Dance!! (survey) en>fr fr>en
By Tittlemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2101, member since Sun Jun 19, 2005
On Wed Nov 15, 2006 01:35 PM
Here are the answers to my own survey!

1. Age: 18

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? late starter...bigges regret of my life.

3. Number of years dancing: 1.5 years. whoah time sure does fly by!

4. Types of dance studied: currently only ballet. Last year I also did jazz.

5. Hours per week you study dance: 4

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?: when I was at home I took the level classes with younger girls, now I am at college and I am taking level classes but with people my own age!

7. Favorite style of dance: BALLETTTTTTT

8. Why do you dance?: because I think it is beautiful! It allows me to express myself. It is one of the only ways I can forget about everything that is wrong with my life or day or the world. I love a challenge. I love movement. and of course everytime I watch a ballet I say "I WISH I COULD DO THAT!!!!"

9. What made you start dancing?: years of watching ballets and wishing I could be a part of something so great..then finally building up the courage to go.

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: for the rest of my life of course!

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: taking class, learning something new, failing miserably at it first, and then finally one day succeeding! BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD!

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: mmm I'm pretty good at adagio. Although I'm not that great at turning in general I consider myself a good turner because I can do triple pirouettes and fouettes and I've only been dancing 1 year! I also have a pretty fierce penchee!

13. ....and your weakness?: ugh petite allegro. My teacher got really upset with me yesterday over it..

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: see above!

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of dancing?: my goals are to eventually go en pointe and hopefully perform! I want to gain achievement from dancing...I want to achieve a better body, better extension, better turns, better expression. I just want to be extroidinary at what I do.

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? : I took a couple of pointe classes but I had to move to college and now I am currently not doing pointe. So I don't consider myself en pointe yet. Yes, I am working towards it and feel it is within my reach.

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: The challenge and the excitement. I always want to quit when I fail, but whenever I succeed I get a rush of adrenaline and find that I can't get enough of it! I also want people to one day see me dance and go whoah, she has talent!

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: at home I have a strict dresscode of black leo, pink tights, pink ballet flats, and hair in a bun. At college its more relaxed so I wear whatever combination of leo and tights I want with a bun in myhair + whatever warmups I feel like wearing that day. Warmups make me feel like a professional for some reason haha

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: Yes classes are taken very seriously and she is suppportive. They are also very challenging.

20. Do you have any performing experience? : 1 measley student showcase. We didn't even get costumes. My dream would be to perform in the nutcracker one day (well swan lake too,but come on let's be realistic!)

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): I wish I could take more classes including pas de deux, pointe, and variations. Performing would also be nice..

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: I AM COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY OBSESSED WITH IT! I WOULD PROBABLY GO INSANE WITHOUT IT. hehe..

Here is me 1 year ago. 6 months after I started dancing. 12 pounds lighter than I am now lol!

hmm swan lake??
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/kellbell1188/ballet006.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/kellbell1188/ballet005.jpg'

This is me when I very first started.
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/kellbell1188/Picture027.jpg'

sorry I don't have any current pictures! Those are all so old, but I swear I am much better now haha!
By balletguy7member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1060, member since Thu Jul 06, 2006
On Wed Nov 15, 2006 01:47 PM
1. Age: 31

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? Restarter I took ballet class when I was 13 y.o. and I'll come back this year

3. Number of years dancing: few months in ballet and 2 years of ballroom dancing

4. Types of dance studied: ballet and ballroom dancing

5. Hours per week you study dance: 2 hours for ballet and 1.5 hours for ballroom dancing

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?: my class has a wide range of age from 14 to 45 years old

7. Favorite style of dance:ballet and ballroom dancing

8. Why do you dance?: Because I love it

9. What made you start dancing?: Cause I needed to gain body coordination, flexibility, musicality and to socialize

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: until I can't dance for elderly

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: the music, rhytm, the step and variations, meet new people

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: in ballet balance and perseverance

13. ....and your weakness?: musicality and flexibility

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: I plan to take more hours of ballet at another studio

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: Gain, posture, flexibility, body coordination

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? : I'd prefer in a so far future maybe pas de deux not pointe

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: the improvement and the new steps

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: white T shirt, black tights, white thinny socks and black ballet slippers

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: yes

20. Do you have any performing experience? : yes at ballroom dancing

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc):

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!:

23. Got a picture you wish to show us?: Maybe when I improve I will post one pic of me doing ballet
By Wonderment Comments: 70, member since Tue Oct 03, 2006
On Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:21 PM
1. Age: 23

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? Restarter! :)

3. Number of years dancing: I always post different numbers because I forget about things that aren't continuous... :P I think I have about 12 years + a couple of months total.

4. Types of dance studied: Currently? Just ballet. I have studied (at various points) ballet, tap, jazz, modern, and ballroom.

5. Hours per week you study dance: 4 hours.

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school? I take adult classes. My studio has awesome adult classes!

7. Favorite style of dance: ballet, naturally! :)

8. Why do you dance?: I have always loved dancing but in addition to that, I also find it to be great stress relief.

9. What made you start dancing?: I started when I was three so I started because my mommy told me too! ;) I went back to dancing because I missed it. I was inspired by singing in the Nutcracker with my choir in college and meeting all the dancers. It made me realize how much I missed dancing!

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: As long as I can!

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: Having something to work on always and of course the joy it brings me!

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: I am going to go with my sheer enthusiasm!

13. ....and your weakness?: Working/short term memory. I have an extremely poor memory and I have trouble remembering combinations and exercises until I do it enough to get it stored in long term.

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: A lot of things! Mostly staying pulled up all the time and I sickle a bit in coupe.

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: My goal is to be the best dancer I can be and to just have fun!

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe?: Well, my whole class is en pointe (it's an advanced class) so I am taking pointe classes. My teacher has decided to start me on simple two-hand-on-the-barre exercises en pointe since she says I'm ready and we're taking baby steps so I don't hurt myself. It's usually only 10 minutes or so and I do the rest of the class in flat but it's very exciting!

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: I can't explain it, it just makes me so happy!

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: Usually, a leotard, a wrap skirt, and pink convertible tights. Sometimes I wear dance shorts and tank tops when I am not feeling the tights.

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: I love my classes and my teacher. They are challenging and serious in the dance aspect but kind of laid back because we are all adults so we joke a lot. My teacher is knowledgeable and gives lots of corrections.

20. Do you have any performing experience?: Dance recitals and school plays?

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): I wish I had time for more classes!

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: Just reminding people to keep positive! (Something on my mind from tonight's class, actually, since one of my classmates struggles with it.)

23. Got a picture you wish to show us?: I don't have my eye and I also have no pictures of me dancing since I restarted. I did find some old dance pictures from when I was a kid this weekend looking through some photo albums but those aren't on the internet or anything.
By PattyPremium member Comments: 916, member since Wed Jul 12, 2006
On Thu Nov 16, 2006 02:49 AM
1. Age: 19 (20 tomorrow)

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? Late starter.

3. Number of years dancing: About 8-9 months.

4. Types of dance studied: Highland.

5. Hours per week you study dance: Usually 1 hour class, sometimes 2.

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?: I go to a small school so pretty much we all dance together. When I first started out I was having private lessons but now I dance with a 17 year old girl that has been dancing most of her life. She's only doing it for fitness at the moment so it isn't a big deal.

7. Favorite style of dance: Highland.

8. Why do you dance?: Because I love it. Highland is such an interesting form of dance.

9. What made you start dancing?: I've always wanted to. I also love tartan and I've always wanted a kilt, now I have one.

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: For as long as I can.

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: Constantly having something to improve on. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I like the challenge of making something perfect.

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: I'm able to pick up steps quickly which helped a lot when I first started, I also have quite a lot of strength in my legs thanks to years of running, and thanks to that I'm able to get decent elevation.

13. ....and your weakness?: My arms will not behave and I have major issues with turnout. My turnout has improved heaps, if only I could get those silly arms to stay where they are supposed to.

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: Stamina, making my steps flow, arms, pretty much everything.

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: I just want to have a great time. I enjoy the competitive aspect but I really love performing and doing displays. It's great doing the sword at a display because people think you're going to chop your foot off.

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? :

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: The joy I get from dancing.

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: Shorts and a tshirt or singlet...oh and socks. We don't bother wearing pumps because our teacher has dance mats.

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: Definately. My teacher can tell when I'm starting to get bored with something so she'll teach me a new dance. My teacher always pushes me to my best because she knows that I can do it if I put my mind to it. She encouraged me to compete and the look on her face when I didn't kick the sword and got first pretty much proved how supportive she is of me.

20. Do you have any performing experience? : A couple of displays and the annual concert. Nothing terribly interesting.

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): I'd love to do more comps and more displays, but thanks to uni I haven't been able to go to any more comps this year.

23. Got a picture you wish to show us?: I haven't got my eye.
By manhattanizedxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 604, member since Sat Dec 06, 2003
On Thu Nov 30, 2006 03:25 PM
1. Age: 18

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? late starter, I starting dancing when I was about 12.

3. Number of years dancing: 6..wow.

4. Types of dance studied: Ballet as of right now. I studied jazz the past two years and next semester I'm taking ballet, maybe pointe and modern.

5. Hours per week you study dance: 3.

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?: I take leveled, graded dance at college.

7. Favorite style of dance: Ballet.

8. Why do you dance?: I love it. Right now I have mono and I'm out for a few weeks and it's killing me to have to just sit and watch. Ugh.

9. What made you start dancing?: I actually don't know. It seems like such a huge part of my life now that I can't even recall why I didn't start earlier.

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: Until I physically can't anymore.

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: How there is room for constant improvement.

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: Grande Allegro.

13. ....and your weakness?: Extensions/Adagio.

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: Extensions/Adagio.

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: My goal is to graduate as a dance minor. I am looking to always be able to dance, and maybe perform with a small, regional company on the side.

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? : Right now I am not taking pointe. I started pointe a year after I started ballet, so for about 4 years I have done pointe?

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: The ability to always improve and the stark differences between the beauty of the movement with the intense, hard, sweaty work it is to make it look so beautiful.

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: Leotard, cut-off/rolled up tights, knit shorts.

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: Oh yes. It's a college dance setting, so it is quite serious.

20. Do you have any performing experience? : I performed in recitals when I was still in high school. My last performance was in May when I danced in a Midsummer Night Dream.

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): Opportunity to take more classes.

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: ha, not really!

23. Got a picture you wish to show us?: Sure. These are a few random, bad pointe pictures from the first month of school in my dorm room.
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/xbrightgreeneyed/IMG_6760.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/xbrightgreeneyed/IMG_6757.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/xbrightgreeneyed/IMG_6755.jpg'

katy.
By angel82member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 306, member since Fri May 20, 2005
On Thu Nov 30, 2006 06:00 PM
1. Age: 24

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? Pretty much my whole life

3. Number of years dancing: about 15-16

4. Types of dance studied: finnish folkdance, ballet, modern, hungarian folkdance, hip hop, flamenco, showdance, jazz, character dance

5. Hours per week you study dance: right now none, just graduated as a professional dancer and I'm pregnant now so I'm taking some time off. I teach couple classes a week though until christmas

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?: look above

7. Favorite style of dance: ballet (though I've done ballet only for 3 years)

8. Why do you dance?: Because I love it. I love performing, it's my thing :)

9. What made you start dancing?: I don't even remember

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: as long as I breath

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: performing

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: probably the fact that I've studied so many different styles...I'm versatile

13. ....and your weakness?: as a perfectionist there are a lot

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: just growing my belly now :)

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: I hope to get many jobs as a dancer and maybe one day own my own studio

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? : yes I've been en pointe for 2 years

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: There's always more to learn in dance

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: depends on what style of dance...usually leotard and tights plus warm-up for ballet...leo or a top and jazz pants for most classes

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: in my college the classes were definitely great

20. Do you have any performing experience? : yes, since I started many a year I can't even count, maybe about 20-50 a year so that's a lot

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): I wish I would have started ballet earlier

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: I was surprised how much I ended up loving ballet after just taking few classes. Also I want to share that I will be a mother soon and there's nothing greater in the world than being a parent.

23. Got a picture you wish to show us?: I'll put a couple. In the last one I'm pregnant and that's the last show I've done.
Image hotlink - 'http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/angel-w-82/solo/anitta3.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/angel-w-82/697945338_m.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/angel-w-82/dance/nimetn.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/angel-w-82/dance/nimetn2.jpg'
By cinque Comments: 74, member since Sun Aug 13, 2006
On Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:54 PM
Edited by cinque (164984) on 2006-12-01 00:01:33 Fixed spelling error
Edited by cinque (164984) on 2006-12-01 00:02:12
1. Age: 40

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? Late starter

3. Number of years dancing: 11, off and on. Add up all the periods I took classes and it's about 2 years.

4. Types of dance studied: ballet

5. Hours per week you study dance: 1.5

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?: Adult/teen class

7. Favorite style of dance: ballet

8. Why do you dance?: I enjoy it, it's good exercise, and I can meet people in class.

9. What made you start dancing?: Not sure, I just felt like trying ballet. It was something that was totally different from everything else in my life.

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: I dunno, probably off and on for years from now.

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: Stepping into a different world, one of grace and beauty and all that stuff.

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: Uh, my teachers tell me I have nice legs.

13. ....and your weakness?: I'm just not very good at it. I have trouble remembering the steps, and I get dizzy really easily doing turns.

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: Putting the individual ballet steps together into some continuous routine out on the floor (sorry, I don't really know the dance jargon for this).

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: Goal, to get better at it. I just take it to have fun.

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? : No, and I don't think I'll ever do pointe.

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: I like taking ballet classes.

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: Leotard, tights, dancebelt, and shoes. (I'm a guy) After a long time messing around with T-shirts, trying to keep them tucked in, I just decided that leotards were more simple and comfortable. Some of my tights have feet, some don't. I also wear socks with the footless ones.

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: Yes. My teacher is supportive and HE takes it seriously.

20. Do you have any performing experience? : No.

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): Classes more often than once a week would be nice. I wish there were more people in the class, like 8 or 10 (preferaby cute single women in their 30s :)), usually 3 to 5 show up. I wish people in class would be more eager to get to know each other. There should be a stricter dress code requiring dancewear, not sweats. Teachers and students have commented that it's great that I always wear the proper dancewear, yet sometimes I'm the only one in class wearing tights (and I'm the only guy). It would be interesting to try a pas de deux class.

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: Can't think of anything.

23. Got a picture you wish to show us?: Sorry, I don't have any of me dancing!
By sjr36 Comments: 300, member since Wed May 18, 2005
On Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:33 AM
okay here we go......

1.) Age: 38 (God!)
2.) Are you a restarter, late starter or have you been dancing your whole life? A restarter. Started when I was 8. Danced for 10 years, then restarted for another year, then took a few years off and then restarted for a few more years (total: 15+ yrs).
3.) Number of years dancing: around 15 or 16 years.
4.) Types of dance studied: Ballet, Tap, Jazz, and working on starting Ballroom.
5.) 7 hours per week (some of those teaching).
6.) Do you take adult/teen class, open class, or leveled classes with younger students at your school? Right now, i am finishing up a college course with mostly younger students, but intermediate ballet.
7.) Favorite style: Ballet
8.) Why do you dance? because I love the feeling of lightness, yet strength in my muscles and trying to make it look easy.
9.) What made you start dancing? my grandma put me in lessons because I used to stand on top of a milkcrate and sing when "lawrence welk show" was on (long time ago!) so she put me in ballet and tap lessons.
10.) How long did you plan on dancing? until i went pro. I never happened, i was too short (still am) but i kept at it throughout the years.
11.) what is your favorite thing about dance in general? expression with extension!
12.) what is your strength in dance? muscle endurance and petite allegro (even though i struggle with stamina sometimes), grand allegro too is fun!
13.) Weaknesses? turns, it is harder when you get older. and flexibility. it takes weeks to keep the splits once i get them!
14.) working on to improve? flexibility, strength and pretty much any turns i can improve on.
15.) goals in dance? to successfully start and run and own a ballet school. regional performances for myself and maybe a small regional company for my future school.
16.) Pointe? No, used to, but it has been many years! Did pointe for 4 years. would like to be en pointe again soon.
17.) keeps you coming back for more? thinking that i can do it no matter how old i am. refuse to get old. i feel like i am in my mid-twenties.
18.) what do you wear to class? leo, tights, slippers, leg warmers, etc.
19.) classes challenging? Yes, Teacher supportive? yes, but i know that he spends more time with the younger students because they probably will have careers in dance. sometimes i get down on that but i know that he likes my dancing and has been noticing my improvements. sometimes he asks me to demonstrate for the class.
20.) Performing experience? Nutcracker (many years ago), comps, recitals, school (college workshops) etc.
21.) change one thing about dance situation: taken more seriously, even though i am not going pro and i am not in my twenties, i still want to improve and maybe doing community work or performances and teach.
22.) other stuff: i regret not trying out for some modern or jazz companies when i was younger, because of my height, not going pro with ballet, it has always bothered me. i am shaped more like a gymnast but was always afraid of heights! i used to suffer badly with ED's because of trying to "lose" the body and only have sticks for legs. didn't work, i just lost muscle and endurance and couldn't dance anymore.
23.) Sorry, don't have my eye yet. haven't looked into it yet, been kinda shy, i do have some old photos of me in recitals and such, and some recent pics with my class that i teach.

thanks that was fun! :)
I won't let it be too late! en>fr fr>en
By tamehh Comments: 78, member since Fri Dec 01, 2006
On Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:39 AM
1. Age: 19 going on 20 in a few weeks. :P

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? Danced whole life (Thai classical), late starter (flamenco), restarter (ballet)

3. Number of years dancing: Thai- 13 yrs, Flamenco- less than a year, ballet- 2.5 yrs combined.

4. Types of dance studied: Thai classical, flamenco, ballet, modern, jazz, tap

5. Hours per week you study dance: 1 :( i am a FT student (broke)

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?: adult classes

7. Favorite style of dance: flamenco, ballroom (west coast swing)

8. Why do you dance?: i LOVE it. it makes me feel good (i dont really care about how i look). i love the stage. and primping..hehe

9. What made you start dancing?: I was forced into thai dance, but i just loved the others. I stopped western dance because i felt like a loner (only asian, felt outcasted...such a bad reason).

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: forever

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: expression

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: fluidity and grace

13. ....and your weakness?: choreography

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: memorization

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: i want to dance to the best of my abilities. i want to perform more, too. maybe get back what i lost through the years.

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? : I will start ballet again next month. I want to get on pointe eventually.

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: It's fun!

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: Sweats. sometimes a leotard.

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: class isn't challenging enough, i'm working up to it slowly. i love my teacher.

20. Do you have any performing experience?: quite a few for thai dancing, a few for ballet and the other stuff. i also performed in my high school dance club. im looking to start again in college.

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): I wish i had more performance opportunities and challenging classes...all of the above!

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: It's never too late to start again (though it can be expensive). If it's something you have a hunch about, don't hesitate like I did. Dance for yourself,and don't let those other prisses get to you like it did me.

By Cluichmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2903, member since Sat May 10, 2003
On Sun Dec 24, 2006 07:59 AM
Edited by Cluich (64754) on 2006-12-24 08:03:09
1. Age: 30

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life?: I danced my whole life (well, since I was 7)

3. Number of years dancing: total: 23

4. Types of dance studied: ballet (12 years, quit when I was 19), Highland (16 years, since I was 14), Irish (3.5 years, since I was 27)

5. Hours per week you study dance: 6-9

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?: I teach kids for Highland, I take adult classes for Irish

7. Favorite style of dance: Highland and Irish

8. Why do you dance?: Because it's fab and good exercise. Plus, I have a very demanding job and dancing takes my mind off my work for a few hours a week

9. What made you start dancing?: I dreamed of being a ballerina when I was little.

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: Till my body says 'STOP!'

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: competitions, the costumes

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: I'm great at jumping and I'm very motivated

13. ....and your weakness?: My memory is starting to let me down -- I can't remember steps as easily as I used to. :P

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: everything!

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: Move up to Championships in Irish, then get my teacher's certificate

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? : I took pointe when I still did ballet, but my feet are very inflexible so I couldn't really do it.

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: learning new stuff.

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: stretchpants and tight-fitting T-shirt

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: I'm at the top of my class so sometimes the classes aren't challenging enough. What bugs me most is that our school is absolutely not into competitions and I love them. That frustrates me sometimes.

20. Do you have any performing experience? : Yes, tonnes of it.

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): More challenging classes (or classes at my level), more competitions.

Image hotlink - 'http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/cluich/IMG_1069.jpg'
With some of my dancers, I'm the one on the right with my legs across the other girls' legs.
Image hotlink - 'http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/cluich/11.jpg'
At the All-Ireland championships, I'm in the middle
Image hotlink - 'http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/cluich/LOTD-Lineup.jpg'
At a show for Irish, I'm on the left
By Catherinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1670, member since Sun Jan 01, 2006
On Sun Dec 24, 2006 08:34 PM
1. Age: 34 years old

2. Are you a re-starter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? Danced from 78-82, 85-89 & 96-pres (I was turning 6 when I first started)

3. Number of years dancing: This time around 11th year, total years 19

4. Types of dance studied: Highland Dancing

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?: We are the adult class but have a few younger dancers in the class

7. Favorite style of dance: Highland Dancing

8. Why do you dance?: I love Highland!

9. What made you start dancing?: Picture it, Scotland, 1978. I went over to visit my family in August of 78 (almost 6 years old) and saw my 2 cousins Caral & Sandra performing and decided that I had to do that!

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: Forever!

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: The friends!

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: If I set my mind to whatever it is I need to do, I can do it, no matter what I tell myself.

13. ....and your weakness?: My weight, it keeps me on the ground when I am to be on my 'toes'.

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: I am trying to improve my half point. Because of my weight, I tend to be on the ball of the foot when I am to be on the half point. I need to raise myself up higher!

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: My goals are to finish all of my exams and maybe take my teachers (associates). I am not sure I want to do this but my 2 cousins are always on me about it.

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: I enjoy the dance and everyone I have met and danced with, I guess that is what keeps me interested!

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: White knee socks, Ghillies, shorts & t-shirt. Nothing fancy.

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: I love my class, I can joke around with the 3 teachers I have. They are all very encouraging!

20. Do you have any performing experience?: We have 2 shows every year, plus more performances throughout the year. When I was younger, we participated in Folklore, which is run by our Folk Art Council. It was a big deal back in the 80's. The city would provide buses to get people around the different pavilions in the city. Every group had a pavilion and it was a great weekend. We used to watch me then run over the Ukraine Pavilion for supper and watch my friend dance and over to the Irish to see my cousin dance, back to Ukraine and then back to Scotland. Busy weekend!!

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be?: I wish I the money to take more classes, participate in the Competition Class and also the Step Dance Class

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: If it were not for dancing, I would not have found this site and met some wonderful people! Also because of dance, I am going to perform and compete in Scotland in August of 2007 in front of my 2 cousins and various other family members!

23. Got a picture you wish to show us?: I sure do!

Me getting ready for Folklore (June 1979)

Image hotlink - 'http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f211/Rob-Roy-Dancer/1979.jpg'

Me with the Performing Group (May 2005)
Image hotlink - 'http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f211/Rob-Roy-Dancer/IM000181a.jpg'

At Celtfest, a group DDN Sighting (May 2006)HighlandHottie05, SeniorLady, Hullachan99, Liljigger, Me, Highland_Kristan, Meg & Reel_Blondie26
Image hotlink - 'http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f211/Rob-Roy-Dancer/IMG_1645.jpg'

Me competiting at Uxbridge Highland Games (July 2006) thanks to Reel_Blondie26!
Image hotlink - 'http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f211/Rob-Roy-Dancer/Uxbridge.jpg'

Catherine
By TamarinPremium member Comments: 1342, member since Tue Nov 09, 2004
On Sun Dec 24, 2006 09:21 PM
1. Age: 20

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? Whole life.

3. Number of years dancing: about 16 I think.

4. Types of dance studied: Have studied mainly ballet, modern/contemporary, jazz and national. Am now concentrating on modern with ballet as well.

5. Hours per week you study dance: It varies but about 35-40 a week (some of that is theory or related classes).

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?:
I'm in a pre-pro modern program at a university. Also generally take classes at my old dance school when I'm home.

7. Favorite style of dance: Have to say contemporary dance, but I do love to watch and do any and all styles of dance that I have come across.

8. Why do you dance?: How could I not?

9. What made you start dancing?: I always used to dance around the house (and still do) so my mother started taking me to dance classes. She used to joke that I danced before I walked.

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: As long as I can.

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: That divine feeling you get when you're really flying. I also love performing and feeling a connection to the audience- you can really feel it when they're engaged and coming along for the journey. Best feeling.

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?:Hmmm...not sure what to write here. I do have good elevation and jumps are probably my forte because of this. I have also been told that I have a great stage presence. I've had quite a few people tell me that they can't take their eyes off me when I'm performing. I love hearing comments like that- it means that no matter what technical mistakes I might have made I was doing something right!

13. ....and your weakness?: Probably confidence.

14. What are you currently working to improve on?:Need to work on dynamics and linking steps. A myriad of other things :P.

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: Hopefully become professional. I'd also like to teach. I have taught a few times and I enjoy sharing the knowledge that I have.

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? : I'm not currently dancing on pointe, but this is because I'm focusing on modern. Have done about 6 or 7 years of pointe and may continue in the future.

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: Performing, collaborating with choreographers to create new work, the camaraderie, the technical honing of skills, the elation you feel- actually the whole range of emotions you feel, watching performances by great dancers, seeing the faces of young dancers, creating art with my body AND mind....everything!

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: Depends on the dance form, but generally leo and tights. Maybe with little shorts or other warm ups. Sometimes just wear the shorts- no tights, other times I might not wear a leo or add legwarmers, etc.

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: Yep! Most definitely.

20. Do you have any performing experience? : Been performing since I was about 7 or 8. Since then I've performed in school concerts, dance school concerts, eistedfodds, in festivals, special events, in the city for no reason, choreographic showings, on film...the list goes on.

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): I'd like my ballet classes to be a little more challenging. Hopefully they will be this year.

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: One day I will learn to dance as the llamas do.

Haven't saluted so I can't.
By lovetodance0149 Comments: 446, member since Sat Dec 25, 2004
On Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:41 PM
1. Age: 18.

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life?: I started dancing seriously when I was 12, so I'm not sure which category I fall into.

3. Number of years dancing: I've danced my whole life, but serious training, 6.

4. Types of dance studied: Contemporary, Modern, Lyrical, Ballet, Jazz, Hiphop, Krump, Tap, Musical Theatre.

5. Hours per week you study dance: It used to be about 7. But it will be changing to about 10-11, just class time, not counting any rehearsals.

Leveled classes at a studio and a few at my college for fun.

7. Favorite style of dance: Contemporary/Lyrical.

8. Why do you dance?: Because I have to. It's in me. I'm completely in love with it and how it makes me feel. I've never been this passionate about anything in my entire life, and that says a lot to me.

9. What made you start dancing?: Seeing dance all my life.

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: As long as I'm able to.

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: Freedom of movement and choreography. Nothing else can let you express yourself the way dance does, in my opinion.

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: I take Contemporary/Lyrical, Ballet, Jazz, Hiphop, and Technique...My strength is Contemporary though...I'd have to say jumps and the awkward movement that it expects is my strength within that style.

13. ....and your weakness?: 4-5 turns, alot of things really though...I have a lot to improve on.

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: My flexibility in my straddle split and my lower back...Of course my technique...but I never stop working on improving that :)

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: To be the best dancer I can be and to make people enjoy watching me. That's the best feeling....knowing someone is interested in what you're doing, and youre bringing them joy by doing what you're passionate about. Also, to bring dance into the world more...It's not all that common.

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? : I don't do pointe. I would love to be up on pointe, but it's not my top priority right now. I need to rest my sprained foot and injured knee a bit more before I start that. Ballet and Technique is okay for me right now in that aspect. Pointe is gorgeous though!

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: The stage. Honestly, performing and seeing people happy about what I'm doing keeps me motivated. Dance is deep within me, so even if people didn't like my dancing, I wouldn't stop...I just couldn't...But that's the ultimate feeling...Dancing with passion and it touching other people...and not even trying to do so. It just happens naturally because of how dance affects you...or me haha :P

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: It really depends which class I'm going to. Ballet: leotard, tights, dance shorts, sometimes a cami if I'm not warm and legwarmers. Contemporary/Lyrical: tights and dance shorts or pants cut to my knee and a tank top/sports bra. Jazz: tight pants/pants to my knees and a tank top, leotard or sports bra. Hiphop: sweats and a shirt. Technique: if its hot...shorts and a tanktop or sports bra with tights. If it's cold, tight pants/sweats.

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: Yes, were placed in the right levels at the beginning, and if it's too easy, you move up a level. My teacher is supportive and does take class very seriously.

20. Do you have any performing experience? : Yes I do. I love performing!

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): Performance opportunities for sure...I would perform every day if you'd let me! I would love to take class every day all day, but that can't happen right now at least! In the future though!

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: You can read my post about why I'm obsessed with dance in that thread :) It's all true.

23. Got a picture you wish to show us?: I can't....I haven't saluted! I have so many though! Maybe soon! :P
By perfectballerina Comments: 678, member since Tue Feb 05, 2002
On Mon Dec 25, 2006 06:22 PM
1. Age:18, almost 19

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? I have danced since I was...8ish...?

3. Number of years dancing: About 10 or 11.

4. Types of dance studied: Ballet, but I've done jazz, Irish, flamenco, modern, and hip-hop for fun.

5. Hours per week you study dance:It depends, 20-30 hours per week.

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?: I am a ballet performance major in a university, so I dance alongside all the other undergrads/grads.

7. Favorite style of dance:Ballet!

8. Why do you dance?:I don't have a reason to NOT dance!

9. What made you start dancing?: I started with gymnastics, and the academy offered ballet classes, and after admiring the ballet classes for a loooong time I finally asked my mom to enroll me.

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: Till I can't anymore.

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: That we ourselves are the art.

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: Musicality and allegro.

13. ....and your weakness?: Adagio, and certian types of pirouettes.

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: Complete coordination.

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: I would like to try and get a company contract, but I'd also love to teach.

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? : I began pointe work in 6th grade.

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: It's addictive!

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: I get made fun of because I am ALWAYS in pink tights, but leotards I'm pretty open about. However, certain classes require us to be in black and pink.

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: Classes are very challenging!

20. Do you have any performing experience? : Yes, lots. haha

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): I wish I would have started sooner at an established ballet school.

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: Merry Christmas!

By cinque Comments: 74, member since Sun Aug 13, 2006
On Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:07 AM
I'm reposting my response to this thread because now I have a picture!

1. Age: 40

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? Late starter

3. Number of years dancing: 11, off and on. Add up all the periods I took classes and it's about 2 years.

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?: Adult/teen class

8. Why do you dance?: I enjoy it, it's good exercise, and I can meet people in class.

9. What made you start dancing?: Not sure, I just felt like trying ballet. It was something that was totally different from everything else in my life.

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: I dunno, probably off and on for years from now.

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: Stepping into a different world, one of grace and beauty and all that stuff.

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: Uh, my teachers tell me I have nice legs.

13. ....and your weakness?: I'm just not very good at it. I have trouble remembering the steps, and I get dizzy really easily doing turns.

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: Putting the individual ballet steps together into some continuous routine out on the floor (sorry, I don't really know the dance jargon for this).

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: Goal, to get better at it. I just take it to have fun.

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? : No, and I don't think I'll ever do pointe.

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: I like taking ballet classes.

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: Leotard, tights, dancebelt, and shoes. (I'm a guy) After a long time messing around with T-shirts, trying to keep them tucked in, I just decided that leotards were more simple and comfortable. Some of my tights have feet, some don't. I also wear socks with the footless ones.

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: Yes. My teacher is supportive and HE takes it seriously.

20. Do you have any performing experience? : No. But my teacher mentioned something about a possibility of performing in something, and that might actually be interesting.

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): Classes more often than once a week would be nice. I wish there were more people in the class, like 8 or 10 (preferaby cute single women in their 30s ), usually 3 to 5 show up. I wish people in class would be more eager to get to know each other. There should be a stricter dress code requiring dancewear, not sweats. Teachers and students have commented that it's great that I always wear the proper dancewear, yet sometimes I'm the only one in class wearing tights (and I'm the only guy). It would be interesting to try a pas de deux class.

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: Can't think of anything.

23. Got a picture you wish to show us?: Here's a picture of me doing an Ecarte devant (I think?!). I know my form must be all wrong, but hey, I'm an amateur.

Image hotlink - 'http://www.geocities.com/asparaguspizza/Cinque.jpg'
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4376, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Wed Dec 27, 2006 08:49 AM
1. Age: 18, 19 in two weeks!

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? late starter

3. Number of years dancing: 4-5

4. Types of dance studied: ballet, tap, jazz, modern, irish (for one year, recreationally), broadway jazz

5. Hours per week you study dance: right now, 0 since i'm on break, next semester, 20 hrs

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?: at my home studio, I was taking level classes with younger girls, now I'm in college as a dance major in levels with my age

7. Favorite style of dance: I can't choose! tap-ballet-jazz

8. Why do you dance?: It makes me happy. I can't imagine doing anything else

9. What made you start dancing?: something to help with my theatre

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: forever

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: it's fun!

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: I think I take corrections very well, I read a lot which I think helps, because I'm very disciplined in class

13. ....and your weakness?: finding that same discipline when there isn't a teacher standing behind me, flexibility, weight, balance, strength, all the important things haha

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: flexibility, inner thigh strength, upper body work, improving my feet

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: i'm not sure yet

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? : I did pointe for a few months my senior year of high school. My college doesn't offer pointe, so it's not an option for me right now.

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: I can't imagine not doing it anymore

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: depends on the class. ballet = pink tights, leo, black tights over. modern = leo, pink tights, jazz pants, tap and jazz = pink tights, leo, black tights over, soffees

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: my classes are very challanging, my teachers are amazing

20. Do you have any performing experience? : a lot in high school, 2-4 recitals a year, none in college yet

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): I'm pretty happy with where I am right now, my only regret is not starting sooner

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: I
By Goldenhoney06 Comments: 1009, member since Fri Mar 26, 2004
On Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:36 PM
1. Age:18

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life?latestarter

3. Number of years dancing:2

4. Types of dance studied:ballet(although I started with modern and hip-hop)

5. Hours per week you study dance:25

leveled classes with younger people
7. Favorite style of dance:ballet definetely

8. Why do you dance?:because it's a part of me

9. What made you start dancing?:I accidently got put in a dance class at school and the teacher said I had potential

10. How long do you plan on dancing?:forever

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?:the freedom to express myself without words

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?:adaigo and grand allegro

13. ....and your weakness?:petit allegro eww

14. What are you currently working to improve on?:petit allegro :P

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?:I would like to go pro in a small company then teach

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? :Yup for about a year

17. What keeps you coming back for more?:the love for it and the challenge to become better

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?:pink tights, black leo

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?:Yup on all counts

20. Do you have any performing experience? :alot in high school none at the moment

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc):more performance opportunities

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!:I love to dance!!!

23. Got a picture you wish to show us?:no salute yet sorry

Sarah :)
here goes en>fr fr>en
By dandelionsalad Comments: 133, member since Sun Dec 31, 2006
On Sun Dec 31, 2006 02:55 AM
1. Age: 20

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? late starter

3. Number of years dancing: 5 or so, but only about 2 years consistently

5. Hours per week you study dance: up until now, it's only been 3 hours per week, but starting in january i'm hoping to make it more like 6

i actually take classes at my unversity. they're just recreational classes offered at our fitness center, but the quality of instruction is surprisingly high (my current teacher used to teach for the boston ballet, and was once a soloist with the bolshoi). as of january, i'm hoping to start going to some local open classes.

7. Favorite style of dance: ballet, of course!

8. Why do you dance?: well, obviously because i love it. it makes me feel good about myself, both in a physical sense and because it gives me a real sense of achievement when i notice improvements i've made.

9. What made you start dancing?: i always dreamed of being a dancer, but was unable to afford classes when i was younger. as soon as it was feasible, i jumped right in.

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: for the rest of my life (or until i can't anymore... arthritis runs in my family. ouch!)

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: the feeling of freedom it gives me. in the studio i can forget all the worries and stresses in my life and just concentrate on the art form.

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: umm... i try really, really hard. it's difficult to be objective about my abilities, but i guess i have good alignment and a strong awareness of my body. my teacher also tells me i have strong arms.

13. ....and your weakness?: well, petit allegro, adagio, and just about any kind of turns... also, i cannot for the life of me coordinate my head with the rest of my body.

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: see above. i would really like to get a double pirouette, but it just isn't happening.

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: i just want to dance as much as i can for the rest of my life.

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? : i am not yet en pointe, but i'd like to be. i think i need to lose some weight and strengthen my back a little more before i'll be ready. but it's definitely something i plan on doing (i've even had dreams about it... i'm a little obsessed).

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: the mistakes i make. each time i come to the studio i aim to fix whatever problems i had in my last class. i'm a total perfectionist so i can't stand making mistakes!!

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: heavy duty sports bra (let's just say i'm rather well-endowed), leotard, tights, dance skirt, and sometimes legwarmers and/or sweater (i live in boston and it gets a bit cold...)

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: oh yes. in fact, sometimes i think she's trying to kill me, she pushes our class so hard!! seriously though, she really encourages each student to make whatever improvements they can, even though it's just a recreational class.

20. Do you have any performing experience? : nope, but i'd like to someday.

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): i want more time for classes!! i'm a full time student and i work two jobs, so squeezing ballet classes into my schedule is often quite a challenge.

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: i think i've already typed too much!

23. Got a picture you wish to show us?: new member without my eye, so no.
By gwynevyremember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 212, member since Tue Jul 17, 2001
On Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:11 PM
1. Age: 27

3. Number of years dancing: On and off for the past 13 years-omg, I didn't realize it had been that long! There was a lot of "off" time in those years though

4. Types of dance studied: Started with jazz, then moved to ballroom/swing/latin, ballet, and even a bit of middle eastern dance

5. Hours per week you study dance: I'm hoping for 4 this winter

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?: Adult/teen, and hopefully whatever I can get into for ballet, I'm not picky as long as I'm learning :)

7. Favorite style of dance: Can't choose - that's why I'm unable to stick with only one!

8. Why do you dance?: Because I have to. It makes me happy

9. What made you start dancing?: When I was little I loved to watch ballroom dancing on television. In middle school I convinced 2 of my friends to try gymnastics and then one of them convinced us to try her jazz class a year later. I'm the only one of us still dancing

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: Until I'm no longer physically able to

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: Two things: 1)I love the movement; it amazes me to watch really good dancers who have the ability to control every single muscle in their body; they create such beauty with the simple movements of contracting and extending muscles. 2)When I'm dancing I can focus on one thing at a time, not so in the rest of my life. I've always got 7 things/thoughts on the go at once, but not when I'm dancing. I'd like to be able to harness those barre concentration skills and put them to work in the rest of my life!

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: I love to turn, and I've been told I'm naturally graceful

13. ....and your weakness?: Just about everything else in ballet, my natural lack of flexibility and turnout is what I find most frustrating

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: Foxtrot in general because my partner and I have a solo piece in our year-end show. I often [/b]think [b]about putting more effort to improving my flexibility...

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: See #11

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe?: I would Love to get to a pointe(hehe, sorry that was bad) in ballet where I could do pointe

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: I'm addicted

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: I prefer a leo, tights, and short shorts for ballet (even if proper ballet attire is not required) and for ballroom it depends on how much of a rush I'm in to get there, lol. Sometimes I dress up for fun, sometimes I go in jeans, sometimes jazz pants and a tank top. It also depends on if we are doing any lifts in the class ;)

19.Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: Ballroom is driving me insane right now because I'm bored out of my mind except when practicing the performance routine. So my teacher is and isn't supportive at the same time; We were offered a solo routine, but regular classes can be slow. I guess it evens out. That's why I'm aching to get back to ballet where everything is a challenge

20. Do you have any performing experience? : Only from year-end recitals

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): I always want to be able to take more classes. I'd love to have all my ballroom classes challenge me. But what I want most right now is just to find a ballet class that will fit into my schedule!

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: Be proud of what you can do - post your pics even if your turnout isn't perfect and your arches don't look like Sylvie Guillem's - because it is far better than doing nothing at all :)

23. Got a picture you wish to show us?: Guess I'd better after that ^^:
Relevé in 5th:
Image hotlink - 'http://www3.telus.net/public/jrlpurdy/dancefoot.jpg'
A bit of photoshop fun with my feet. The quote says "Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels."
Image hotlink - 'http://www3.telus.net/public/jrlpurdy/dancefoot.jpg2.jpg'
Retiré after not doing any ballet for 2.5 years:
Image hotlink - 'http://www3.telus.net/public/jrlpurdy/ballet1.jpg'
Photo from a swing routine
Image hotlink - 'http://www3.telus.net/public/jrlpurdy/gala68adj.jpg'
Another random routine photo from 3 years ago
Image hotlink - 'http://www3.telus.net/public/jrlpurdy/LIFT2%20copy.jpg'
By pasdebourretenduPremium member Comments: 1808, member since Mon Oct 24, 2005
On Mon Jan 01, 2007 08:31 PM
1. Age: 24

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? whole life

3. Number of years dancing: 21

4. Types of dance studied: ballet, tap, jazz, clogging, lyrical, liturgical, hip hop, line, waltz, shag

5. Hours per week you study dance: 2, but I teach 10+

Adult open classes
7. Favorite style of dance: tap!!

8. Why do you dance? Without it, I would not be me!

9. What made you start dancing? I don't know. I was three.

10. How long do you plan on dancing? until my feet fall off

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general? rhythm

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in? choreography maybe? I love rips, double wings, single wings, pickups...

13. ....and your weakness? those danged pendulum wings!!

14. What are you currently working to improve on? ha. i shall repeat... those danged pendulum wings!!

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it? To own a successful studio, some darned good dancing kids!

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? : I no longer take pointe. I took two years off from pointe, and then decided to make it indefinate. I do not have the time nor the effort to put into trying pointe again. (did it for eight years)

17. What keeps you coming back for more? sometimes the kids, sometimes the feeling, sometimes the fact that i have to pay the rent!

18. What do you wear to your dance classes? leotard, tights, whatever shoes, and something over my bottom! (shorts, skirt, gauchos, cut-off pants)

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?:
The classes I take... no. But it's totally free, so what can I say?! It's a free organization that clogs for fun, and this year is the first time I started learning to clog!
20. Do you have any performing experience? Just in lots of recitals and plays - only one movie, and I was just an extra dancer

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): I would go back to college and retake some classes

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?! Um, not really

23. Got a picture you wish to show us? Well no. I haven't saluted, because I don't have a camera :)
By alia_801 Comments: 105, member since Tue Nov 09, 2004
On Tue Jan 02, 2007 04:05 AM
1. Age: 29

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? Restarter - danced ballet and tap for about 2 years when I was 8, then started ballet and jazz 4 years ago.

3. Number of years dancing: 4

4. Types of dance studied: ballet & jazz

5. Hours per week you study dance: 6

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?: Adult classes mostly, teen class for ballet technique and private jazz exam lessons.

7. Favorite style of dance: ballet & modern jazz. I alternate between them. I'm starting to get a thing for contemporary at the moment...

8. Why do you dance?: To challenge myself. It's my time for me, my escape from the world.

9. What made you start dancing?: Started when I was younger because my best friend did. Had to give it up when we moved house and always wanted to get back to it, but had trouble finding adult ballet classes until I moved to Melbourne.

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: as long as my body keeps working

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: the balance between controlled technique and absolute freedom to move to the music

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: leaps - anything with no feet on the floor!

13. ....and your weakness?: balances - anything with one foot on the floor!

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: turns.

Get my splits, control my turns so I can get more than one triple per year.

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe?

Not doing pointe now. Might do in the future if my ankles get strong enough and I can ever find vegan pointe shoes.

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: at the moment, the desire to pass my level 8 jazz exam

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: dance shorts/jazz pants, singlet, crossover.

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: Some of my classes are very challenging, others are more recreational. My teacher is my mentor - she was the one who suggested I could do exams, and she's supported me the whole way.

20. Do you have any performing experience? : End-of-year concerts for the last few years, Deaflympics Melbourne opening ceremony, Commonwealth Games Closing Ceremony.

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): More chance to perform - I come alive when I'm on stage, but there are so few opportunities.

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music. -- George Carlin

23. Got a picture you wish to show us?: Sorry - haven't got any handy...
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16206, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:47 AM
1. Age: 32

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? Danced all my life.

3. Number of years dancing: 28

4. Types of dance studied: Ballet, tap, and jazz. Some modern, lyrical, folk, gymnastics, and ballroom.

5. Hours per week you study dance: I teach about 30 hours a week.

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?: I take any classes I have the time and energy for.

7. Favorite style of dance: TAP

8. Why do you dance?: It is part of me...just like my arm or leg. I can't imagine not doing it.

9. What made you start dancing?: I guess I always enjoyed expressing myself through dance. Some kids draw, sing, act, throw temper tantrums whatever...I danced.

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: As long as I am standing up and breathing I hope.

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: The feeling of release it gives me.

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: Timing.

13. ....and your weakness?: Improv!

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: Shading when I am hoofing.

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: I want to be the best teacher I can be. I want kids to enjoy tap and be excited to come to class because it is a dance form you can do all your life.

16. If you do ballet do you also do pointe? If yes how long have you been doing it? If no, are you working towards going en pointe/do you think you will ever take pointe? : I was on pointe, but never excelled at it, and don't care to continue.

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: It's addictive, it's beautiful, and it helps keep me in shape so I feel less guilty about eating the frozen Kit-Kats in my refrigerator.

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: Black t-shirt and black capri pants usually.

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: I can always find something to work on and something challenging, even in a beginner class. I have always had good teachers.

20. Do you have any performing experience? : I danced professionally with a few small companies.

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): I wish my students would SHUT UP! I wish parents and students would respect their classes enough to be ON TIME and make the necessary adjustments for traffic, eating, etc. I wish Phoenix had a better tap community so I could take more classes and could see some tap shows.

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: The Nicholas Brothers revolutionized tap as we know it. Anyone who says differently is insane!

Image hotlink - 'http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/imadansuer/DSCF0661.jpg'
23 Questions about Dance!! (survey en>fr fr>en
By mis4taPremium member Comments: 223, member since Tue Sep 25, 2001
On Wed Jan 03, 2007 09:42 PM
1. Age: 37

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life? yes, I started dancing ballet again at 29.

3. Number of years dancing: late start classes 10, younger age classes 10 = 20 years of dancing

5. Hours per week you study dance: 18

took with younger when I jumped back into ballet.... now .... dancing with company

8. Why do you dance?: only way I can breathe

9. What made you start dancing?: passion

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: until I die

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: I feel like I'm flying.... I feel like I'm free

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?: waltz......I do it well

13. ....and your weakness?: jumps!!!!1 those damn cabrioales

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: jumps

15. What are your goals in dancing and what are you looking to get out of it?: to gracefully perform jumps so I won't embarrassing my counterparts.

Yes, I also do pointe. It's very hard for me. I have to constantly keep my feet warmed up. I carry small balls and a thera band in my purse.

17. What keeps you coming back for more?: passion

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?: black tights, black leos.... over that, I wear a casual dress with leggings or old jeans and wedges.

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Yes, very challenging.. I break a sweat everytime.

Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: yes...... very supportive.

20. Do you have any performing experience? : Yes, I have a great deal of performing experiences. Just finished "the littlest angel"

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be?

my weight, opportunity to take more classes

(ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc):

23. Got a picture you wish to show us?: too much cabernet. maybe later.

ENJOY!
By KalliGirl Comments: 141, member since Thu Jul 20, 2006
On Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:49 PM
1. Age:

2. Are you a restarter, late starter, or have you danced your whole life?
Re-starter

3. Number of years dancing:
hmm 7 years pre teen, 3 in college, 2 post college

4. Types of dance studied:
ballet, jazz, tap, cheer routines, high kick, hip hop, Kathak, Cuban, Flamenco, afro-Haitian, Congolese, Dunham, samba

5. Hours per week you study dance: 10

6. Do you take an adult/teen class, open classes, or do you take class in the leveled classes with younger people at your school?: Adult

7. Favorite style of dance: right now hip hop

8. Why do you dance?:
I love the challenge, the adrenaline rush and the beauty of moving through space

9. What made you start dancing?:
When I was little I watched Annie (the movie) and I was hooked I wanted to be one of the girls and then I wanted to grow up to be a Rockette.

10. How long do you plan on dancing?: I don’t plan on stopping

11. What is your favorite thing about dance in general?: collaboration

12. What is your strength in whatever style of dance you participate in?:
hmm I guess expressing the mood of the piece

13. ....and your weakness?: over thinking choreography

14. What are you currently working to improve on?: I want everything to continuously improve

There are so many but mainly I want to go pro and continue performing; what I hope to gain from dance is human connection and a deeper understanding of how my body moves.

In college I was en pointe, and now I’m working on going back on.

17. What keeps you coming back for more?:
After every class I have more energy than when I started and an urge to push myself to learn more.

18. What do you wear to your dance classes?:
Depends on the class, ballet lots of layers right now (it’s cold) jazz- more layers, usually tights, pants, leg warmers, tank, long sleeve shirt, hip-hop – adidas, big pants, cute tank

19. Do you find your classes challenging enough? Is your teacher supportive and does she take your classes seriously?: Yes, all my teachers are great and supportive.

20. Do you have any performing experience? :
yes, preteen recitals, cheerleading, college kick line, post college dance team Z girls, world dance fusion

21. If you could change one thing about your current dancing experience what would it be? (ex: performance opportunities, more challenging classes, stricter dress code, opportunity to take class more, etc): Definitely more classes

22. Anything else you would like to share with us about your dancing, dancing, or anything in the world?!: Dance should be inclusive and about sharing experiences with others it started as a cultural expression and should remain part of the community; I can’t stand exclusivity in dance, I’m grateful to every person who has shared, taught me, or inspired me to dance.
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed