Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Becoming Pilates Certified
By laurathesk8rmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:49 PM

How does one go about becoming certified to teach pilates?

6 Replies to Becoming Pilates Certified

re: Becoming Pilates Certified
By Yaeli
On Sat Nov 18, 2006 05:49 AM
Hey there!
There are courses that give u all that needed to be a certified pilates teacher. I guess the requirements change from place to place, so I can tell about the course I took (I'm a certified pilates instructor).
First of all you need to take some classes and the teacher should sign that your technique is good enough in order to start the course. Then we had some classes, in the first ones you learn the basics of the pilates method and the main principles. Then you have classes to learn all the repertoire (the method got a repertoire of exercises), in each one you learn what are the muscles that work in it and in what way, what is the correct way to perform it, what are the usual flaws during the exercise and how to fix them, and of course how to modify it in order to teach it to different levels of trainees. After you have the whole repertoire you learn about the basics of building a class array, and a bit about pilates while pregnant, and with different injuries, and then you have a test (theory & practice - instruct a class), and you need to hand in a few written class arrays according to the specifics your teacher gives you (ie. beginners, people with back pain, pregnant women etc...). If you pass all that you need to do some assistance classes (work as an assistant in a teacher's class), some classes when you sit and comment in writing about the class, and give out some classes in the studio one on one (not to the regular trainees of the studio)- you can do it to someone you know, like a friend or something.

After all that - well, you're a pilates instructor, congratulations! One of the greatest and smartest workout methods exist (in my opinion). Good luck!

HTH
Love
Yaeli
re: Becoming Pilates Certified (karma: 2)
By Pasdekatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Nov 18, 2006 01:32 PM
Edited by Pasdekat (18161) on 2006-11-18 13:39:04
There are many institutes/companies, etc. that offer pilates certifications. Some are better than others, and usually you get what you pay for (however alot of it dpends on what YOU put into it, No matter how great a cert. someone has, that doesn't make them a great teacher, and I've seen good teachers with no official cert at all, just alot of workshops, classes, and study, though I would really recomend getting certified, it helped me tremendously and I learned a TON!)
When I started teaching I had taken a "how to teach pilates" workshop and the instructor recomended that I start teaching for the local rec. department, I would not necissarily recomend this at all, it's just how it happened to work out for me, but if it hadn't I might never have even thought about teaching, let alone Teaching group exercise my career.
I recently became certified with the pilates institute of America (PIA, piaworkshops.com) which was AMAZING! I can highly HIGHLY recomend it. I feel like I learned more in that weekend then in the past year combined, it was absolutely incredible. The presenter I had was very knowledgeable (and a former dancer, most of their oresenters are.) The style is very classically based, and doesn't try to "fix what ain't broke", but like Stott, certain changes where made to the original method (very minor) based on recent scientific research.
PIA's Mat Level I certification is $420, which is pricy, but much cheaper than some of the other certifications out there, and very much worth the price in my mind.

You might also want to check out Power Pilates (www.powerpilates.com) I thought about getting certified with them actually (I ended up with PIa because that's what my boss wanted us all to have where I teach). I really like they're DVDs, very classically based as well, and I believe the cost is similar to PIA (edit; it's $500, $450 if you're already certified somewhere else). The actually have smore in depth certification programs that are around 2-4 thousand dollars. Check out their wesite for details.

There's also Powerhouse Pilates (www.phpilates.com/) which I've heard good things about, I know 2 great teachers who went with them.

I've also heard good things about The Physical Mind Institute (www.themethodpilates.com/main.aspx)

All of these Certs. Will cost you between $350 and $500 or so for a 16 hour workshop.

Stott Pilates is of course VERY well respected and alot of people consider it the "gold standard" it is also quite expensive (thousands I think) and it can be hard to find a training near by (it's more than 1 weekend, so you might have to travel back and forth) They do however, offer worskshops at individual gyms/studios if there are enough people. Many who have done Stott will tell you it was worth it, but it may not be practical for you. stottpilates.com is their website.

Individual studios offer teacher trainings and certifications, so you might want to look into that too.

Before I did PIA I did a PiYo Certification (www.turbokick.com)
This is a yoga/pilates (and a little dance) fusion class. The certification is MOSTLY yoga based. It is a pre-choreographed program where you are able to purchase "lessons" on DVD (or you can choose not to as well) to teach to your classes, you can modify them and use as much or as little as you want. FYI, Piyo 6 is all "pilates essentials. This cert is only around $80, and it can be a good place to start, but if you are just interested in teaching pilates , I would recomend going with one of the "pure pilates" certs., unless of course you're really interested in teaching a yoga/fusion class (which I was, which is why I took it) then it is a really fun class. I teach pilates and I teach PiYo, my PiYo class is different from my Pilates class, which is much more "pure" and "classical".

Good luck! If you have any questions please let me know :)
By laurathesk8rmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 18, 2006 05:58 PM
Thanks so much you guys!
By Mekare
On Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:47 AM
I will not go into the whole classical vs. newer pilates controversy....
Look into different programs and educate yourself.
I am currently an apprentice at a studio that works with Romana Kryzanovska.
romanaspilates.com
By tip_toe_dreamermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Dec 03, 2006 06:57 PM
Thanks for posting this question. I was wondering the same thing myself. And thanks to those who have posted already. Great info and all very helpful.
By Jennifer1989member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Dec 26, 2006 02:15 PM
Just thought I'd add www.bodycontrol.co.uk . . . for those in the UK :) I'm hoping to train with them once I've finished at college.

ReplySendWatch