Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

grass skirts
By toriabellydancer
On Mon Nov 20, 2006 02:33 PM

what are the awsome grass skirt I see made out of? and where can you buy them? The ones I have seen are made out of stiff raffel or that shiny plastic holloween costume stuff. I want to get a real full swing grass skirt like in these pics: apo-a-lewa.com . . .
www.painetworks.com . . .

11 Replies to grass skirts

re: grass skirts
By cleoNY
On Mon Nov 20, 2006 04:43 PM
im pretty sure (correct me ladies) that the skirts are made out of a stiff bark called hau. The bark is striped, shredded, and then soaked in water for a few days, and finally dyed. The two best places to get professional and authentic skirts are alohahulasupply.com and hulasupplycenter.com. Keep in mind that many choose to double up their skirts, so it is thicker, though some have declared it Americanized, I saw many people doing it in Tahiti.

However, these skirts can get expensive, especially if your only going to be using them for some random luau or as a costume. For that, Id say stick to the raffia. Those are like eight dollars.

Hope this was helpful!
By No_Longer_on_DDNPremium member
On Mon Nov 20, 2006 05:35 PM
We've always called them morea skirts (not sure why...that's just what we called them...lol). It's just thin strips of bark...like what cleony said. The reason why the look so thin and flowey in the pcture is because they're brushed out. if you get one of those stiff metal (like metal) and comb it through the skirt...then it'll thin out and become softer. It also makes it much easier to move in. = )

my halau always got them from hulasupplycenter.com. the only thing is that they don't take internet or phone orders. you have to fax it in or mail your order in. = / But...the quality of the skirts are awesome. = )

good luck!!
By cleoNY
On Mon Nov 20, 2006 05:49 PM
wait... this is news to me. what is this about the metal brush? im intruiged. also, do you all water your skirts to protect them from the dry winter?
On Tue Nov 21, 2006 04:57 PM
if you take a metal brissel (sp) brush and brush it through the morea...it'll make in thinner and softer. we call it *frogging* the skirt...lol...i know...our terms are silly. we do it to all of our skirts. = ) trust me...it makes them so much easier to move in and it allows the skirt to move way more.
By nhannie
On Mon Dec 11, 2006 04:31 PM
is it like a metal hair brush? or is it one of those brushes that you would find at a hardware store?
On Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:58 AM
just a regular metal brush. = ) just brush it through the skirt until it's as soft as you want it. = )
By princessjen
On Sun Feb 04, 2007 06:58 PM
I ordered mine from www.alohahulasupply.com and it is doubled (2 skirts on the same band). This week in class we are learning how to add the tassles and everything. We brush ours out with a dog brush w/ metal teeth. The skirt and everything we are adding to them, it cost about $200.
Metal Comb
By wannahula
On Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:31 PM
The "metal combs" you are referring to are also called "frogs" and used as a flower arrangement supply. You put it in a flat vase and stick the flower stems in them. ;) You may also buy frogs at any craft store like this:

www.save-on-crafts.com . . .
On Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:50 PM
it all makes so much sense now...lol. i mentioned in my other post that we called it *frogging*...now i know why. i NEVER knew those brushes were called froggers. lol.
By toriabellydancer
On Sat Mar 10, 2007 09:45 PM
which skirt did you order? you have any pictures?
hula skirts for sale (traditional kiriau)
By chuckupu
On Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:30 PM
Kia Orana from New Zealand
If you want good quality hula skirts (the tradition kiriau grass skirts)I have bulk supply. I have the natural skirts or I can dye them any colour that you need. For more information email me on chuck@soifua.com.

ReplySendWatch