Poll: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
In your opinion, what helps you become a better dancer?
By LeMusiquemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:53 AM

Hey, I was just hoping to get people's opinion. If I was you, I think pilates help you more, because it takes more accuracy, and blah balh blah. Oh, and it makes you stronger!

BJHfan_3

40 Replies to In your opinion, what helps you become a better dancer?

re: In your opinion, what helps you become a better dancer?
By krldancervt
On Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:37 PM
i believe pilates because it really strengthens your core, and dancing comes from your core...thus, it will help you in dance.
re: In your opinion, what helps you become a better dancer? (karma: 2)
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 27, 2006 07:55 AM
If I was you, I think pilates help you more, because it takes more accuracy, and blah balh blah. Oh, and it makes you stronger!

Takes more accuracy? Do you even know what you are talking about? Ever experienced intensive yoga training firsthand? And sure - pilates increases strength, but so does yoga - very much so.

I didn't vote, because neither activity helps you become a 'better dancer'. Working to become a better dancer can help you become a better dancer. Extra activities can inhance your phyisical properties, but it greatly depends on the individual's preferences and concentration on area of improvement.

I'm really getting tired of these ignorant 'yoga vs pilates' posts around here. They are DIFFERENT, but one is not 'better' than the other. Once may have a preference for one over the other, but don't make ingnorant comments about things you are not educated on!

[/rant]
By dancin_til_death
On Fri Dec 22, 2006 04:08 AM
I've heard that pilates is the basis for ballet while yoga is the basis for contemporary

I prefer pilates though, I find it works me more
By dancedolly10
On Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:12 PM
IMO, pilates is much better! It strengthens your core and also works wonders on bulky muscles and belly fat! I started taking two pilates classes a week in October, and it's helped me so much!
By BacknBalletShoes
On Thu Jan 04, 2007 03:55 PM
pilates is sooo much better in my opinion. It helps with balance and stamina in ballet. Especially in adaggio. hope i helped!
By Missdanciamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:36 PM
Pilates is just the wonder of strengthening for dancers!! I can see a big difference in both my dancers and myself, in just two weeks, I LOVE pilates!!!
By pointecutie93
On Sun Mar 04, 2007 04:51 PM
I'm also for pilates!!! It helps you with stability and control more than yoga. And for the record I take yoga and pilates. Pilates is 1000000 times better than yoga lol. :D
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 06, 2007 09:19 AM
pilates!!! It helps you with stability and control more than yoga.

Simply incorrect. I challenge you to take an Ashtanga class. Just the primary series, beginner level - no need to even strive for intermmediate. Don't get me wrong - I like pilates, and it's GREAT for dancers, but you cannot make generalizations about yoga until you have tired all forms of yoga, and engaged in daily practice.

I'm not saying that you should like yoga better - everyone is entitled to their own preference. But yoga can give one just as much core strength and control as pilates. That's why, as I said before, this is kind of a silly poll question. It would be better phrased as, "Which do you prefer to enhance your dancing". We all have a different path. One is not better or worse.
By ziegfeldgirl
On Fri Mar 09, 2007 03:17 PM
I'm a complete yoga advocate. I love pilates but to me, yoga works my body more and I find the mind/body connection essential for dance. But it takes discipline. It's harder in my opinion than pilates. This isn't to denounce pilates, though, I love them both, I just prefer yoga.
By dancekim110
On Sun Mar 18, 2007 08:10 PM
I take pilates, and I like it. But I really wish I could try yoga. I started pilates in September and I've noticed that it's helped me with controlling my core a lot more than I uses to. My pirouettes are getting better! ;)
By Pumkinliner
On Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:21 AM
I've done yoga before, and it is great, it really helps me with stretching.. Never taken pilates though. I don't even dance (yet) I will be soon just need to find a class and get the attire ready.
By goodxnightxmoon
On Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:52 PM
I think it is a little hard to decide because Yoga is a lot about getting in tune with your body which is crucial in being a dancer, but pilates helps to strengthen your core, which of course is another important aspect. I don't know. I voted for yoga, but I guess pilates is better for strengthening.
By jazzblaster
On Sat Oct 27, 2007 05:43 PM
I personally prefer Floor Barre above and beyond Pilates. Floorbarre is more intense than pilates and is focused on pure ballet movement. Although I do hold certifications in Floorbarre and Pilates, the Floorbarre is far more intense and calls for more precision.
By Agrippina
On Sun Oct 28, 2007 04:48 PM
I love yoga, pilates, and floor barre. It's all great in my opinion.
By Mekare
On Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:44 PM
Jazzblaster, have you ever done authentic pilates? What pilates certification do you hold??
You might change your mind if you ever experience the real thing...
By jazzblaster
On Thu Nov 01, 2007 02:29 PM
Edited by jazzblaster (111926) on 2007-11-01 15:24:00
Mekre...I'm well versed in the equipment and I do cross train in both area's day in and day out. Rommette Floorbarre is specifically designed for dancers and carries the individual throughout ballet/jazz technique that is experienced during dance movement. It is Pilates based. I'm not putting pilates down, obviously it's a wonderful technique. However, for dancers, Floorbarre aids in establishing the muscle memory that is required while dancing. Floorbarre is the Fine tuner for dancers and Pilates is a wonderful addition to cross train all dancers. Hope this makes sense... :)
By Mekare
On Thu Nov 01, 2007 04:30 PM
Yes, I am very familiar with Zena Rommett's system and also Maria Fay's work.

I was just wondering what your Pilates background is, because I find the new stuff such as Polestar and Stott to be so extemely modified that there is not really a workout in it anymore.
I am certified with Romana's Pilates and find it very helpful to me and the dancers and athletes that I am working with.
By jazzblaster
On Thu Nov 01, 2007 05:51 PM
Edited by jazzblaster (111926) on 2007-11-01 17:52:28
^^^That's AWESOME! I can completely see where you are coming from on the Pilates forefront, especially since it has been watered down so much...due in part to losing it's trademark status,it's just turned into something commercialized. I did not learn from Romana but I have learned from a lady who was linked back DIRECTLY to Joe Pilates in NY. She's old and was probably friends with Romana?LOL.... Anyway, I do have loyalty to Zena probably because I've worked directly with her from year to year,along with testing out under her care and I know that the education I'm receiving from her is pure and not deviated.
Looking back on the history of dance, it's undergone many transformations and has lost true tradition, but at the same time become more logical towards ones own limitations...(hope that makes sense).
Good thing,more and more teachers are turning to alternative methods to increase the potential held within the dancers. I get the biggest kick out of seeing my students awaken by their own body awareness and I'm the one opening up the corridor for them.

The next big thing is going to be gyrokinesis/gyrontonics. I'm embarking on this journey now.
By danzatrizmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:16 PM
I do both. Im pretty sure both help, though in different ways.
Pilates I feel is more targeting specific parts of the body to make them stronger, which helps.
Yoga on the other hand has a more integral approach in which you strenghen your body as a whole.
Both work on posture and correct aligment.
Both help increase my flexibility.
Id actually say yoga takes more accuracy since you need to reach and balance certain positions which takes lots and lots of accuracy. It also helps greatly in learning to concentrate and focus in using your body.
SO um, id have to go with both.
I feel that pilates doers and dancers often undevalue yoga, when it could be a a great complement for them.
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:15 AM
I try to get my students to do both as they both have great benefits. Pilates really does strengthen the core muscles but yoga also gives balance, flexibility and, above all, a great stress reliever.
By kerplooey_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:03 PM
i really enjoy yoga (though i have taken some pilates).

yoga really does work your core, and your upper body, back, and shoulders, which are often thought less of in ballet. However, the reason i voted for yoga, was because of all the stretching. Ballet is very grueling on the muscles with repetitive and sometimes overuse. The breathing and releasing of yoga helps work the kinks out from overworked ballet muscles, especially in the hips, hamstrings, and butt.

so there is a strengthening element as well as a very strong stretcing and releasing element, not to mention balance and breathing, which is EXTREMELY important for any dancer.

-kerplooey
By Twirlz_n_Wirlz
On Wed Jan 02, 2008 05:20 AM
I've not tried neither but I was interested in the post to see if it would clarify what would be best. From what I've read, I'm beginning to think that Pilates is better for strengthening and Yoga is better for strecthing?

I have a jist that I may be wrong so if I am could someone PM me back to tell me and give me a further insight? Thank you all for your time, and great post by the way got lots of different views xx
By InfiniteRosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 09, 2008 05:39 PM
I voted pilates because it is the only thing that has helped strengthen my core enough-ish. I'm naturally flexible and super weak and this helps me gain strength without losing my flexible-ness. :D
By pinkdancer52891
On Thu Jan 10, 2008 06:35 PM
I would have to go with pilates because it helps strengthen you core and all.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch