Poll: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: In your opinion, what helps you become a better dancer?
By obsessionn101member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:57 PM
They BOTH make you stronger. Both strengthen the core and can help with stability and such when dancing. But as others mentioned, they are very different things. Yoga is more poses and concentration on holding them and pilates mostly movement. I've done both and I personally love pilates but I hate yoga. I don't like yoga because I have so many things going on in my head that I can't concentrate on the poses. I think yoga is an excellent form of cross training though if that's what you like. I was in the store the other day in the fitness section and I was telling my sister about how I don't like yoga and a woman started talking to us telling us that we would like it when we were older which is probably true. But right now, I like pilates better. Try both and see which one YOU like and do that.
By LoveMeForevermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:44 AM
I didn't vote, because I think there should be a "both" option. They both help you as a dancer.
By katielou1529
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 02:38 PM
Just like so many posters before me, I think that pilates is the best because it strengthens the core and your core is a vital part of dance. However, doing either is very beneficial.
By Pixie_x
On Thu Feb 12, 2009 02:45 PM
Weellll, pilates is based on yoga. Essentially, it's a form of yoga that is more focused on isolating and working specific muscle groups. I think pilates is extremely helpful for good posture, but yoga is amazing at helping with balance and range of motion. I like pilates (it's kind of a love/hate thing really) and I've been doing it for way longer than yoga, but I have the same problem with it as I do with ballet...once I find my center, I want to stay there. Which is good, but it can make you kind of scared to do anything with your torso, and you have to in pretty much any dance other than ballet. I like yoga for helping to get used to being balanced in funny positions.
By Mekare
On Thu Feb 12, 2009 06:54 PM
Sorry Pixie, but Pilates and Yoga have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
Ask yourself: How would Joseph Pilates have studied Yoga in ca. 1890- 1910 Moenchengladbach/ Germany or in the UK?
Books about Yoga weren't published before the 1950's.
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Feb 13, 2009 07:36 AM
^

Actually, the Hatha Yoga Pradipika was written in the 15th century AC. :P
By Mekare
On Fri Feb 13, 2009 08:49 AM
And when was a translation published in Germany or the US to be available for Joe Pilates to study it?
By Cliffbella
On Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:08 PM
I believe it's pilates! :)
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 15, 2009 09:44 AM
Mekare wrote:

And when was a translation published in Germany or the US to be available for Joe Pilates to study it?

Dude - have a sense of humor.
By Mekare
On Sun Feb 15, 2009 09:52 AM
LOL...thanks, that made my Sunday!!!
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:41 AM
I prefer yoga for improving my dancing. In my experience, pilates works the same muscles that I end up working during dance anyway. Yoga works on the mind-body control aspect of dancing as well as increases my flexibility, which is a weak point of mine. So I become a more well-rounded dancer when doing yoga.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 15, 2009 07:44 PM
I chose Yoga because, although I can increase core strength (as well as putting on muscle throughout my body) relatively easily, I have very little natural flexibiilty. It is the stretching part of Yoga which has done me the most good both in dance and life.
By veganwarriormember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 08, 2009 05:06 PM
I never really liked pilates that much, but I think of it as more dance based than yoga. Maybe it is just the studio where I take pilates, but a lot of the moves have the same names as dance moves (it might be because a former dancer teaches the class, but I'm not sure). I personally perfer yoga and I think it does pretty much the same things but it has an emphasis on spirtuality, breath, concentrating on you and what your body allows you to do. I can't really say which one is better because it is like asking which of your best friends you like the most.
By kerplooey_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 28, 2009 02:24 PM
Okay I'm going to have to revise my earlier comment. I had only ever done pilates on the floor with a mat in a YMCA class before now. But currently I'm doing 2 hours of pilates and gyrotonic/gryokenisis (I spelled that wrong and am too lazy to look up the proper spelling) a day, 5 days a week. I use the Reformer, the Cadillac, the Barrel, and that other one I can't think of the name for, with two handles that stick up from a small platform, with two sort of "stairmaster" type attachments with springs...

Anyways, the pilates and gyrotonic work (used as my physical therapy treatment) has helped my musculoskeletal imbalances tremendously. I still have a long ways to go though :(

-kerplooey
By iDancer518member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 28, 2009 05:27 PM
Personally, I'd go for yoga. Especially Ashtanga. When people think of yoga, they think of the basic yoga but Ashtanga uses the core and it's more heavy duty.

But it didn't make me a better dancer. My willingness to practice, practice, practice makes me a better dancer. :)
By Johanna42
On Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:57 PM
where can i vote for GYROKINESIS®???

it did miracles for me.
turn out - yeah!
balance - yeah!
floor connection/grounding - yeah!
healthy body - yeah!
flexibility and strength - yeah!

and many other good things!
try it.
Page: