Forum: Irish / Irish - Softshoe

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Irish - Softshoe
Dictionary of Irish Dance Moves in Softshoe (karma: 12)
By foreverclovers Comments: 341, member since Sat Mar 04, 2006
On Sat Nov 25, 2006 04:54 AM
Made sticky by pharmadancer (87219) on 2006-11-25 15:32:52 great post - nice and informative

So after a suggestion by odzer, I thought I might detail 10 popular ‘trick moves’ in softshoe as a reference list, starting with basics and then working harder:

Name: Over 2 3
A.K.A: Jump, Leap, Over step behind
Short Description: Arguably the most common softshoe move, an over 2 3 is a horizontally-positioned jump.
Long Description: The dancer kicks their front foot straight up into a horizontal position. The back leg kicks their behind as the front leg is driven up to gain as much height as possible from the floor. The front leg then finally drops back down to the floor. From kicking up behind, the back leg comes to the front and steps onto the floor as well. This is the ‘2.’ The original front leg then steps behind the original back leg, making the ‘3.’ Advanced dancers ‘hold’ the jump in midair for several seconds at its highest point before dropping back down to the floor again.

Name: Double Hop
A.K.A: Flutter hop, Quiver hop
Short Description: A variation on the basic toe to knee hop where the foot flutters in the air.
Long Description: The dancer jumps off their back foot which remains straight, and brings their front foot forward/up until the toe is in front of their back leg’s knee. The front leg is then moved slightly forward and back twice in small quick movements from the knee down, creating a flutter. In essence, the dancer is tapping their toe to their knee twice. The back leg then drops back to the ground after the flutter is complete.

Name: Double Leap
A.K.A: Trinity jump, Grasshopper, Quiver leap
Short Description: A combination of an over 2 3 and a double hop
Long Description: The dancer does a normal over 2 3, however instead of kicking their front leg straight out, they bring their front leg’s toe to their knee and execute a flutter/double before landing down.

Name: Twist
Short Description: Changing feet by swiveling behind whilst in parallel
Long Description: The dancer begins in crossed or fifth position. They swivel into a straight foot or parallel position (so that the feet are side by side) and in the same fluid and quick movement bring the original front foot to the back while recrossing the feet. Usually done several times in quick succession.

Name: Rock
Short Description: Both a hard and softshoe move, rocks involve the ankles moving from side to side whilst locked to create an illusion of breaking (or not even having) an ankle.
Long Description: The dancer places their feet right next to each other but crossed over (that is, the right foot is crossed to the left side of the left foot and vice versa. Raised onto their toes, the dancer uses their ankles to rock over to the side where the back foot is situated. The front foot is rolled over so that the side of the foot is completely touching the floor while the back foot braces it. This is repeated two or three times, rocking to one side and then the other without changing the neutral position of the feet.

Name: Clock Turns
A.K.A: Point turns
Short Description: A move involving a quick turn of 90 degrees.
Long Description: The dancer begins in crossed position with their right foot pointed in front, the front of their body facing an imaginary ‘12 o’clock.’ Their right foot is then brought up to kick behind whilst they swivel on their back foot 90 degrees until they are facing an imaginary ‘3 o’clock.’ At 3 o’clock, the right foot is brought back down into a point in front. These can be done several in quick succession, and also anti-clockwise with the left foot pointed.

Name: Entrechat
A.K.A: Flutter, ballet jump, scissor
Short Description: Originally a ballet move where the feet are changed and changed back again in mid air.
Long Description: The dancer jumps off of both feet into a straight jump. Whilst in the air, they swap the front foot behind, and then swap it back again before landing down on both feet again.

Name: Plushenko
A.K.A: Paschenko, Axle jump
Short Description: A straight legged turn in mid-air named after a famous figure skater.
Long Description: The dancer jumps off from one foot, revolving 1 and a ½ times in midair. During midair they swap feet (in hardshoe the heels are clicked during the swap) so that they land back down on the opposite foot to the one they jumped off of.

Name: Cross Key
Short Description: A swivel of the feet into an inturned fifth position and then a slide of the front foot behind
Long Description: The dancer executes a small straight jump in crossed (fifth) position. They then swivel their heels out so that their feet are in an inturned position with their toes slightly overlapped. They then slide the front foot behind the back foot and swivel back into a normal crossed position.

Name: Bicycle Jump
A.K.A: Triple jump, Running man, Pony, Bike jump
Short Description: A new and very popular jump involving kicking up behind three times before landing down, creating the illusion of riding a bicycle.
Long Description: The dancer takes off into the air from their left foot, first kicking up behind with their right, then their left, and then their right again. During all three kicks, no foot should touch the floor again, hence they must be done in very quick succession with the foot falling only halfway back to the ground before coming up again. The dancer finally lands down on the same foot they took off from after the third kick up behind. Naturally, the left foot can be swapped with the right in order to do the move on the other leg.

Hope that helps everyone out! Please feel free to add other moves.

foreverclovers

41 Replies to Dictionary of Irish Dance Moves in Softshoe

re: Dictionary of Irish Dance Moves in Softshoe
By celticfaerymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 636, member since Fri Jun 02, 2006
On Sat Nov 25, 2006 08:09 AM
nice post! i wish there were videos too......some of the jumps sound very complecated in words.....
By dansinbeest Comments: 453, member since Mon Aug 07, 2006
On Sat Nov 25, 2006 09:23 AM
that is awesome! thanks soooooo much!!!!
By Murph1Premium member Comments: 202, member since Mon Sep 25, 2006
On Sat Nov 25, 2006 04:14 PM
This was a great idea! Thanks for taking the time to put it together :D
By newcitylights Comments: 414, member since Sat Mar 04, 2006
On Sat Nov 25, 2006 07:47 PM
I've always wondered what crosskeys were. Apparently they're in some of my old steps, lol.
re: Dictionary of Irish Dance Moves in Softshoe (karma: 1)
By Yvonnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3624, member since Sat Dec 04, 2004
On Mon Nov 27, 2006 09:55 AM
great post!!!!!!

at my old school it is:
Over 2 3 is a Jump 2,3
Double Hop is a Double Cut
Double Leap is a Reindeer
Entrechat is a pulse

~E
By kittykat87 Comments: 474, member since Mon Apr 24, 2006
On Wed Dec 06, 2006 09:30 AM
this is a great post.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:27 AM
Name: Double Hop
Long Description:...In essence, the dancer is tapping their toe to their knee twice. The back leg then drops back to the ground after the flutter is complete.

Weeeell....yes, but the toe should never slap the knee. You're not supposed to hear anything.

Name: Entrechat
A.K.A: Flutter, ballet jump, scissor
Short Description: Originally a ballet move where the feet are changed and changed back again in mid air.
Long Description: The dancer jumps off of both feet into a straight jump. Whilst in the air, they swap the front foot behind, and then swap it back again before landing down on both feet again.

It's not a case of one going back and forth, they should both be working equally. And it's not swapping the feet, technically you're making a half circle with each leg before returning. The whole leg, from the hip.
By xxxSarahxxx Comments: 68, member since Fri Nov 10, 2006
On Wed Dec 06, 2006 02:11 PM
wow thats a GREAT post! now i can understand about half the leaps people talk about :P in my school double hops are called double knees!
By reel_jigger Comments: 1015, member since Fri Oct 03, 2003
On Wed Dec 06, 2006 03:12 PM
LOL! you know the "double-leap" or "quiver leap"...we call it the "dead-bunny". oh wow, does that sound fantastic or what!
By misstwinkletoes1 Comments: 7, member since Mon Dec 04, 2006
On Thu Dec 07, 2006 03:05 PM
what a great post!!!! thank you
By glendaloughgirl Comments: 8, member since Wed Jan 03, 2007
On Fri Jan 05, 2007 02:16 PM
Name: Pivot
AKA: Spin
Short Description: Turn all the way around on one foot.
Long Description: Step with your right foot, pull your left foot up in back, and turn all the way around.

Name: up cut
Short description: Lift in back before doing a cut.
Long description: Jump in the air, pull one foot up in back, then do a cut before you land.

Also, Entrechats can be called butterflies of front-to-backs
By Reelmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2682, member since Thu Dec 28, 2006
On Fri Jan 12, 2007 04:46 PM
very cool, thanks! i've always wanted to learn crosskeys...my teacher never got around to teaching us...and i'm in open! lol

in my school:
over 2 3s are leapovers or 1-2-3s
double hops are just doubles or double-downs
double leaps are lightning bolts lol
twists are sometimes also swivels
entrechats are sometimes also squiggles or double jumps
plushenkos aren't really done as the description, but rather as a full turn, taking off from the front foot and keeping the feet one-in-front-of-the-other while in the air and then landing on the back foot. also during take-off the back foot goes up and then pushes down and together. not sure if maybe what i'm describing is actually a totally different move? anyways we don't have a technical term yet but i call them straight freezes.
bicycle jumps are snoopies...as in the way snoopy from the peanuts walks/runs...sorta looking like he's in the air lol

someone should do something like this for hard shoe moves...like all the different trebles!
By audiblemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 175, member since Mon Feb 05, 2007
On Tue Feb 06, 2007 09:29 AM
I am only just starting Irish dancing and have been trying all week to do a "double down"/"double hop" and I so couldn't get it. I don't know if I wasn't getting enought height or if I was just doing it plain wrong, but this has definately helped me. Thanks a million!
re:Dictionary of Irish Dance Moves in Softshoe
By iloveirishdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 379, member since Fri Jan 05, 2007
On Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:15 AM
Great post! It helps to know what the different moves are called. I need to ask someone to show me the crosskey and bicycle move, I cant picture them yet. My school calls an "Over 23", an "Over The Fence".
re:Dictionary of Irish Dance Moves in Softshoe
By iloveirishdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 379, member since Fri Jan 05, 2007
On Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:24 AM
Great post! It helps to know what the different moves are called. I need to ask someone to show me the crosskey and bicycle move, I cant picture them yet. My school calls an "Over 23", an "Over The Fence".
By odzer Comments: 121, member since Wed Jun 01, 2005
On Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 PM
Wow, thanks for the hard work that everyone did trying to get a dictionary going. Many thanks. So much fun to see what different schools call them. It's great to see everyone explain moves differently as one explanation may not make sense to one but make perfect sense to another. Yay, what a great start. Let's keep it going.
By Celticdreams Comments: 967, member since Tue Jul 03, 2007
On Mon Jul 09, 2007 01:08 PM
Can anyone describe "Hang over the fence" I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. It's one of the steps in the slip jig I'm practicing.
By topbox6 Comments: 20, member since Tue Jun 26, 2007
On Wed Nov 21, 2007 07:38 PM
That's really cool. I already know it all but It's fun to read again and see the stuff I can do. I must be awesome... lol... You must be to for posting all that.
By GraniaPremium member Comments: 599, member since Wed Dec 12, 2001
On Wed Mar 19, 2008 04:06 PM
Awesome post! One of the moves that has always intrigued me are those turns that Jean Butler does during the Introduction section of her Masterclass DVD....what are they called and how do you do them?

~Grania
By oooshinymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1876, member since Wed Dec 12, 2007
On Sun Apr 20, 2008 07:21 PM
I guess we call cross keys butterflies and what glendaloughgirl calls butterflies we call wrap-arounds which other people call entrechats... Sometimes it gets confusing when one move is called 10 different things, so this is pretty helpful.
By RealDealTrebler Comments: 254, member since Thu Mar 22, 2007
On Sun May 25, 2008 08:44 AM
1. Over 2,3s are called "Spring-rwo-three's" at our school, but usually if there is only one step afterwords (to be on the right foot for the next step) it is a "jump step" or"jump over"

2.Doube hops we call doubles or double-downs.. Also, i though it was supposed to be big, not just a little flutter...

3. What's a clock turs? I still don't get it...

4. Entrechats.. we call 'em entrechats, or some people call them wrap-arounds.

5.Still don't get the Plushenko or cross key (i think I agree with oooshiny, we call cross-keys butterflies, but I'm not sure what it is..)
____

Double toe
Description: Jump off front foot, bring back foot up to your butt twice before landing.

Beat
Description: Jump off back leg and bring front one up (prferably around/above 90. Bring the bottom leg to meet the top leg, hit your legs together, then bring back leg back down while top leg goes up then down.

Flutter-by
Description: kind of like an entrechat but with your legs in front of you.. also like two beats but you switch in between them. Bring frontleg up as you jump off back leg, slap legs together, bring front leg up a little, back leg down a little, then front leg down (in the back) the back leg down (in the front). Like a beat then a click before landing.
By irishdance07 Comments: 50, member since Sat Nov 17, 2007
On Mon May 26, 2008 03:38 PM
hi we call Entrechats quivers. I guess there are many different ways for everything!!
By ailise748 Comments: 70, member since Mon Apr 28, 2008
On Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:25 AM
In my school we call:
Over 2-3s- lift 2-3s
Double hops- double knees
Entrechats- double crosses
Cross keys- butterflies
By irishdancer5ever Comments: 216, member since Mon Dec 03, 2007
On Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:23 PM
My school has resently got addicted to this new jump:
Move- Backpeddal
Short description- one leg pointed to the ground while the other is making a circle motion
Long description- You move your right leg in a circle motion at a kick at the knee, then a little behind you like a hop but then straighted the leg out. So basically the right le is making a big circle toward you while the other is pointing at the ground, but you are in the air.

Sorry if it is confusing. Its a really hard move to descibe. lol
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch