Forum: Ballet / Ballet Photos - Members

Ballet Photos - Members
How NOT to receive comments you aren't looking for (karma: 10)
By MelleLuvsDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 391, member since Tue Jun 07, 2005
On Sat Nov 25, 2006 04:30 PM
Image detached by pharmadancer (87219) on 2006-11-27 05:56:37 photo not necessary for post
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-12-03 00:32:06

I've noticed that sometimes in posts disagreements will occur that result in one person making a negative yet helpful comment and the poster tries to defend themselves but ends up having everyone agree with the commenter and everything falls apart. Okay, that didn't make much sense but you get where I'm going with this.

So here are some helpful tips that will allow you to have the replies you're looking for.

**Prior to posting your pictures, ask yourself if your are willing to accept helpful critiques from DDNers
-If someone gives you corrections, will you be able to handle the fact that you might have something to work on or someone didn't agree with the way you placed your arms, hips, etc...?

**DO NOT MAKE EXCUSES!
-Sorry, I was having a bad day so I decided my turn out would be non-existent and my attitude will be fairly low!
That's just sort of annoying.

**You're not ugly, fat, horrible...
-You are a dancer. You're not allowed to be ugly. That's highly impossible! You're not horrible. You're just not perfect. Pfftt who is? Paloma Herrera...? PLEASE!

**Take all critiques into consideration.
-People took time out of their day just to help you! You should be grateful. I would be offended if someone thought "mmm... Melle doesn't have one billion karma! Why should I care about what she thinks?"

**Be specific.
-Don't have a title that says "Help" and then post two pictures. We'd like to know what you're asking and then we can help you. A picture does saying a thousand things.

**Respect everyone's opinions.
-If someone's being honest and believes you aren't ready for pointe, don't argue with them. That's just what they and a few others might think. I've seen a couple of posts on this topic where the replies go on for several pages and nothing ends up resolved.

Follow these tips and you will see much more positive feedback.

If anyone would like to add other helpful tips please comment!

Melinda

22 Replies to How NOT to receive comments you aren't looking for

re: How NOT to receive comments you aren't looking for
By alwaysonmytoesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2895, member since Thu Aug 17, 2006
On Sat Nov 25, 2006 04:40 PM
Awesome post! I'd give you some karma right now if I could give any more karma today. :C

Hehehe.
By CaperucitaNegra Comments: 196, member since Wed Jun 28, 2006
On Sat Nov 25, 2006 05:00 PM
Great. This should be made a sticky. It's too bad that so many members seem to choose not to read the stickies.
Great post!!
By rocker_ballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 573, member since Thu Mar 09, 2006
On Sat Nov 25, 2006 05:29 PM
THANK YOU!! Awesome tips and great post! More people should read this! I particularily like the following part of your post:

**DO NOT MAKE EXCUSES!
-Sorry, I was having a bad day so I decided my turn out would be non-existent and my attitude will be fairly low!
That's just sort of annoying.

**You're not ugly, fat, horrible...
-You are a dancer. You're not allowed to be ugly. That's highly impossible! You're not horrible. You're just not perfect. Pfftt who is? Paloma Herrera...? PLEASE!

I get so tired of hearing excuses or girls saying that they are ugly in pictures when they clearly are not!
I tried to give you karma, but the forumn wouldn't let me! I agree, this should be a sticky!
Thanks for taking time out of your day to post this :D

Cass~
By Legwarmermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5734, member since Mon Sep 26, 2005
On Sun Nov 26, 2006 02:21 AM
THANK GOD!

No.. THANK MELLE! :)

You're so fab, Melle.
By SilverBellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2198, member since Sun Apr 09, 2006
On Sun Nov 26, 2006 02:51 PM
Aw, I wish I could give you karma! Awesome post, although I must admit..I make excuses, but theyre accurate! ;)

~ Snack
By gemita Comments: 294, member since Sun May 21, 2006
On Sun Nov 26, 2006 03:11 PM
Edited by gemita (159311) on 2006-11-26 15:13:49
Great post!

And about the (excellent) "don't make excuses" point - this also applies to the pre-emptive "I wasn't going for technique" comment.

I absolutely HATE it when people say this! It's a cop out, and it's impossible.

By all means, have fun when you take photos, be silly, enjoy it. But if you're "not going for technique", you're not doing ballet at all. Ballet IS turnout, placement, line, and all those technical things you weren't going for. So if you say you weren't going for technique, what are you doing posting on the ballet board?

Anayway, thanks for pointing these things out. Hopefully it will stop some of the ridiculous arguments that start when people respond badly to critiques they asked for.

EDIT: I tried to give you karma, but it won't let me on this board. Bah - invisible karma to you!
By dust2dustmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4464, member since Wed Dec 07, 2005
On Sun Nov 26, 2006 04:52 PM
*invisible karma*

THANK YOU!!!
re: How NOT to receive comments you aren't looking for (karma: 1)
By agirlinatutumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1832, member since Mon Sep 18, 2006
On Sun Nov 26, 2006 09:13 PM
I shall have to think karma at you, since you can't 'Rate+' on this board...
By dancingdiva_4evamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 393, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Sun Nov 26, 2006 09:40 PM
can someone say sticky?? haha..wonderful post! i enjoyed it and(at some points) i laughed ferociously. :)

oh and here's some magical karma. it'll come around to you sometime :)

:~:~:~:~:~kkaarrmmaa~:~:~:~:~:

xoxox dd
By red_velvet_rosemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 752, member since Tue May 09, 2006
On Wed Dec 06, 2006 09:06 AM
Great post, I totally agree with everything you said, I personally hate excuses too, especially when they are such great dancers and post such lovely pictures.

I wish i could give you karma :(
I'll think some too you.... *~.~*karma*~.~* :P

xx
By Moragjanemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 96, member since Tue Mar 07, 2006
On Tue Jan 09, 2007 07:15 AM
Thank you so much..
That's just what I've been thinking over the past few months :)
Definitely Karma worthy!
By meganroks Comments: 66, member since Mon Apr 10, 2006
On Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:18 AM
THat is one great post. I totally agree. It is so annoying when people ask for help and then get upset when they get it
By ninaballerina19member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 76, member since Fri Apr 27, 2007
On Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:54 PM
Thank you for that post. It's awesome and really helpful for all. I will definatley look back on this when i post some pictures. Thank you.
By heartbeats224 Comments: 59, member since Tue Feb 08, 2005
On Tue Aug 21, 2007 02:58 PM
Yes I agree with you 100% with every tip you gave. I hope everyone on this site that has posted a picture of them has read this so they knew what to expect and how to be grateful for a comment back. Thanx for the post!!

Allie ~**
By SaraMichelle Comments: 4, member since Tue Sep 04, 2007
On Tue Sep 04, 2007 08:36 AM
I think this advise is awesome. People wrote about me on this website, and I have to say that the criticism is every bit as meaningful as the compliments. I am encouraged by the compliments, more than I ever imagined I would hear.....while the criticism makes me stronger because it helps me to see my flaws and work on them. So I want to say thank you so much for the help and also the encouragement. I hope to meet a lot of friends here. The photos and videos of other dancers that I have seen on this site are crazy-amazing. They both intimidate and inspire me. So thank you for this site. It's so helpful for us aspiring dancers. My computer "fun" hours got cut back for this school year, since I have to graduate by the end of this summer, but I will get on the site as often as possible because I love it so much! I am so happy to be a member. And this is officially my FIRST POST! LOL. :)
By nettelamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 394, member since Sun May 20, 2007
On Thu Sep 06, 2007 05:24 AM
such a great post! At my studio when someone says I am so ugly, fat horrible whatever... my friend and I say that they are fishing for compliments. we make a arm movements fo fishing and crack up laughing!
By XxXballetXxX Comments: 29, member since Sun Jun 08, 2008
On Sun Jun 08, 2008 02:19 AM
Really great sticky! really funny too! and you are so right about these things!! haha
By ABT_hopeful Comments: 106, member since Fri Nov 21, 2008
On Thu Jan 22, 2009 04:37 PM
so true ...great post!
By elle_ballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 175, member since Mon Sep 07, 2009
On Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:08 PM
This is great :) thanks!
By kitri4life Comments: 33, member since Tue Nov 09, 2010
On Tue Nov 23, 2010 08:54 PM
So true! I hate it when people make excuses for themselves because we do not care if that was a bad day. Other dance.net viewers can not see what you look like on a good day, only what you post. So how are we supposed to reply!?
By lovestodance989 Comments: 318, member since Sun Jun 12, 2011
On Mon Jun 13, 2011 08:38 AM
Thank you! It bothers me sooo much when people ask for help and then get offended when we give them constructive criticism!!

Good job:)
By ElizabethPerson Comments: 56, member since Wed Nov 10, 2010
On Tue Jul 12, 2011 07:23 AM
Great point! It's really important to be clear about what you want from other members when you post pictures. If you want to shoot down every tip someone gives you or have an excuse at hand don't post pictures asking for help. Plenty of people actually want the help of the people on this website and appreciate all the comments.

ReplySendWatch