Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates session? What is it and what is something I can do in a session at home?
By THATballerina
On Wed Nov 29, 2006 06:23 PM

Hi, I'm a ballet dancer and I was wondering what a Pilates 'session' is. (sorry if it's kind of a stupid question).

I want to do Pilates at home to improve my ballet, but what should I do each 'session'?

Thanks!

THATballerina

2 Replies to Pilates session? What is it and what is something I can do in a session at home?

re: Pilates session? What is it and what is something I can do in a session at home?
By griffin_aira
On Fri Dec 29, 2006 06:39 PM
I do not have a lot of experience with Pilates, mostly it comes from when my ballet teacher (who is also a Physical Theripist) does it with us in ballet class. I do some of these exercises at home. I've picked a few that I can remember really well and I do them daily. For me keeping the number of exersizes down to just a few (4-5) allows me to do them everyday and I think that I have seen some improvement already.
re: Pilates session? What is it and what is something I can do in a session at home?
By Pasdekatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 30, 2006 07:37 AM
A Pilates Session is basically just a pilates class, or the time one spends everyday doing Pilates. It can last anywhere from 10 minutes to over an hour. Generally a class is around 45-60 minutes though. I can recomend buying or renting a DVD at home to get a basic idea about pilates principals and the exercises (which should ideally be done in a specific order, you can skip over any exercise, but you shouldn't go back to do ones you've missed again if that makes sense). The only DVDs that I can recommend right now are any of the Stott Pilates videos and "Pilates for Dummies" (there is another once called "Pilates for Weight Loss for Dummies, don't get them confused, I haven't done it, but I do know that though pilates will create a more strong, streamlined look, "weight loss" is not really the goal in pilates, and generally, especially if one is just getting started the exercises need to be performed in a slow controlled manner,and not as a cardio workout.)
I can also recommend stopping into a class. If you don't have a pilates studio near by, most gyms or YMCAs offer pilates, and most will give you a day pass free to try it out.

ReplySendWatch