Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

Major Dance Schools
By cleoNY
On Tue Dec 05, 2006 02:08 PM

Hi everyone!

My grandfather is my connection to my Hawaiian side, and has been my inspiration to dance any form of Polynesian dance. I live over on the East coast though, away from all of the major competition groups. I was just wondering for all your Californians and Islanders if the big names (Nonosina, etc...) of Tahitian and Hula have any dancers that are not Polynesian. I look at all of these youtube videos, and I always wonder if the reason that all of the major competitions group dancers are Polynesian is because they are the only ones that try out, or because the group wants to maintain "the look" of a Polynesian-only kinda thang. Does anyone have any answers?

Thanks so much!

1 Replies to Major Dance Schools

re: Major Dance Schools
By No_Longer_on_DDNPremium member
On Tue Dec 05, 2006 03:00 PM
Not everyone in Nonosina is of Polynesian decent. Their girls who placed @ Fete '05 were Japanese (13-15), and I know that they have girls who are Filipino and other ethnicities as well.

Aside from Tahitian Competitions, my instructor danced for Keali'i O Nalani, which is a huge hula halau. They compete @ the Merrie Monarch which is a huge honor in the hula world...and their dancers are from all ethnicities.

In my old halau, only a few of the girls were of Polynesian descent. A few Hawaiian, and a girl who was half Tongan.

Sometimes...just because certain girls have a polynesian look, doesn't mean they descend from any of the polynesian islands.

ReplySendWatch