Forum: General / Hip Hop / Hip Hop Photos - Members

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

Hip Hop Photos - Members
CHECK OUT MY CHOREOGRAPHY! - Shadows Dance Troupe - Fall 2006
By Starsumdaymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 98, member since Sat May 10, 2003
On Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:34 AM

Hey Guys! I finally posted all of Shadows' Dances for the semester. Here is the one I choreographed for the semester:

www.youtube.com . . .

And here are the rest the girls choregraphed:

www.youtube.com . . .
www.youtube.com . . .
www.youtube.com . . .
www.youtube.com . . .

Enjoy!

xoxo
Brittany

36 Replies to CHECK OUT MY CHOREOGRAPHY! - Shadows Dance Troupe - Fall 2006

Additionally
By Starsumdaymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 98, member since Sat May 10, 2003
On Wed Dec 06, 2006 01:32 PM
Also, just so i don't get hate posts, i consider my dance jazz funk/hip hop...trust me, i know we're not hard core west coast...haha

xoxo
Brittany
re: CHECK OUT MY CHOREOGRAPHY! - Shadows Dance Troupe - Fall 2006
By IGNITE06 Comments: 31, member since Mon Nov 27, 2006
On Tue Dec 12, 2006 09:30 AM
omg ye are wicked...xx
By Champ123member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1408, member since Thu Nov 17, 2005
On Thu Dec 14, 2006 01:04 AM
wow brill dance it was wicked
you did well
xxg
By Mandance Comments: 2794, member since Tue Sep 20, 2005
On Sun Dec 17, 2006 08:36 PM
Wow, all of those dance were great, congrats!
By dancingtoes27 Comments: 58, member since Thu Oct 20, 2005
On Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:17 PM
Good job for the funk look you were going for. I usually prefer to see more street popping and locking and just really technical hip hop movements but theses girls did a good job at making the chero just what you wanted it to be.

Siobhan
By LilaButJaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1197, member since Mon Sep 27, 2004
On Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:51 PM
1) Good overall but the moves were a little repetive, and a little bit overly scandalous.
2) I wouldn't even consider this funk that is DEFENITLY jazz. I saw pirouettes in there. Maybe music acting (NOT song and dance!)
3) And thats lyical...or jazz. Yeah Jazz.
4) Modern.
5) This one is actually my favorite. It's still jazzy, but it's not scandalous. And thats my favorite song. Oh..wait I see a fouette.

You guys are really talented but please post on the right board!
WOW
By Butterfly_Fairymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 173, member since Mon Dec 04, 2006
On Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:56 AM
I really loved the first video (i liked them all,but that one in general!!) Great job ! xxx iris
hello
By hiphop2pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 395, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sat Dec 23, 2006 07:39 PM
Hey! I thought that all of you were great. You know what my dance teacher that I've had since I was four would always say before our recitals? Well, tell here it is: In the studio we are dancers. On stage we are performers. Performers are stars. Stars sparkle and shine. And the best way to sparkle and shine is to SMILE!!!!!!!
I always will remember her saying that. Whenever I'm on stage I remember being a tiny tiny girl and all of the dancers and I would shout out SMILE!!!! when our teacher would say it. Please tell this to your dance team because it hopefully will make them smile too.(:
By breeza Comments: 17, member since Wed Jan 10, 2007
On Wed Jan 10, 2007 07:53 AM
you have very good choreography. just a tip though... your dancers need to learn to keep in time with eachother. the dance would be superb if that was touched up a bit. well done
By bailarina12 Comments: 131, member since Sat May 28, 2005
On Fri Jan 12, 2007 04:42 PM
They are great, and i have really liked and enjoyed the last 2, from my point of view you have showd you are quite creative and original and the last one as a coreographer, good job, and thanks for posting the videos
By KalliGirl Comments: 141, member since Thu Jul 20, 2006
On Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:49 PM
Looks like a lot of fun - made me want to dance
By juliasweet Comments: 248, member since Thu Apr 13, 2006
On Thu Jan 18, 2007 09:11 PM
Hey don't know how you should classify the dancing but the vids look cool. Great choreography!
By dancing_dreams6 Comments: 234, member since Wed Aug 16, 2006
On Mon Jan 22, 2007 09:28 AM
My only comment to the first video was that it was more of a cheer leader type dance. Very Jazzy. Very straight arms and tight and snappy moves. It was really cute however! Just not what I classify hip-hop.
what can I say
By Nicole19 Comments: 25, member since Tue Jan 09, 2007
On Tue Jan 23, 2007 04:13 PM
I hate to break it to you but saying that your routine was jazz funk hip hop didn't make it go over any better! I won't totally rip you apart, but honey you and your girls were way off the mark.

I really don't want to hate, but if you are going to do it that do it right. Your group lacked all of the basic skill in hip hop and Jazz funk for that matter, there was no jazz funk in your routine, and some of the most played out hip hop moves, like that sad Harlem shake...ugh

keep practicing, try again, and make me eat my words...I dare you!
By victoria2788 Comments: 27, member since Fri Jan 05, 2007
On Sat Feb 03, 2007 08:10 AM
I liked the dance for the most part, but I dont think that it is appropriate at all to have the F word in the music.
hah
On Fri Feb 09, 2007 04:25 PM
hah, i dont know where youre from or what you do, but the fact that you think you have the right to classify people's dances and tell them "what their style of dance is" is hilarious.

I'm going to guess that youre,
a. about 16/17
b. not from New York

I don't know how you DON'T classify that as jazz funk considering i've taken ALOT of classes in the past few years that have been called "jazz funk" and have basically been in this style. Why don't you go to BDC and take a class from Sheryl Murakami and tell her to her face that she isn't jazz funk. It's about what you make it, and the "sad excuse for a harlem shake?" The move is about 5 years old and in my dance its broken down into shoulder contractions, left and a right. If i wanted to harlem shake, it would have been in the dance. It's called an adaptation...

So keep practicing and make you eat your words? Good joke. Please do me a favor and post a video of your dance team! I'd like to see how "jazz funky" you are.

and to the commenter below...we're 20 years old...i think the "f word" is appropriate...
By GrinsPremium member Comments: 3429, member since Sat May 08, 2004
On Fri Feb 09, 2007 04:40 PM
^ No offence, but how did you expect people to reply to this post? If you thought that you were only going to get "OMG it's wonderful!!!" kind of responses, how can you better your choreography? I don't mean to be rude but there's no need to get defensive :)

You're first routine isn't what I would classify jazz/funk. Maybe because I live in Australia, and our styles/definitions may differ, but that kind of looked like abit of everything :? Not that that is a bad thing -- it just wasn't jazz/junk to me.

and to the commenter below...we're 20 years old...i think the "f word" is appropriate...

I think what the poster was referring to was that not everyone in the audience is over 20 :)
On Sun Feb 11, 2007 03:31 PM
oh i completely agree with you! I am ALL for constructive criticism! And by you saying, i dont consider it jazz funk i consider it a bit of everything, is fine by me...why does it matter what a dance is classified as?

I just got defensive because the girl who commented was extremely rude, and was innappropriately classifying my dance, when really, i never asked anyone to classify it at all...I put it up to see if people enjoyed it! The girl who commented was rude, obnoxious and plain out disrespectful. You can tell me you don't like the movements, or it needs to be sharper, or even, she thought it was boring...but by telling me "this isn't hip hop, you don't know what you're doing, its a sad excuse for dancing..." is not what these threads are for...

There are plenty of posts above hers that give constructive criticism, and comments that say, hey i don't really like your dance, but none of them were as RUDE and "know it all" as the previous one.

I usually could give a hoot about what people think, but when people blatently post claiming they know "what style of dance is what", it really pisses me off.

bring on the CONSTRUCTIVE criticism people...don't tell me you dont' like my dance because its not "hip hop" enough for you...grow up.

But thank you for letting me further explain my distraught...i love to get judged...but fairly.
By ashley123 Comments: 51, member since Wed Jun 15, 2005
On Sun Feb 11, 2007 09:28 PM
your guys stuff was good
great choreograping
By xi_luv_2_dancex Comments: 24, member since Wed Jan 31, 2007
On Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:26 AM
hiyaaaa,

I think that all those videos where amazin ! i love the styles of dance i think it was jazz funk.Use are all great dancers ! where about are use from and are use a dance school and how old are use all ?. write back please

x.x.x.x.x
On Wed Feb 14, 2007 05:09 PM
We're from 19-22, and we're a dance team from Cornell University. Thanks for the positive comments!
By dLaOnVcEe Comments: 5, member since Tue Jul 11, 2006
On Sat Feb 17, 2007 07:37 PM
sweet dance! really unique moves and definitely funky. keep up the good work, girl!!
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Mon Feb 19, 2007 05:19 AM
Edited by glitterfairy (42646) on 2007-02-19 05:21:49 adding on
Edited by glitterfairy (42646) on 2007-02-19 05:23:52 edit
I just got defensive because the girl who commented was extremely rude, and was innappropriately classifying my dance, when really, i never asked anyone to classify it at all...I put it up to see if people enjoyed it! The girl who commented was rude, obnoxious and plain out disrespectful. You can tell me you don't like the movements, or it needs to be sharper, or even, she thought it was boring...but by telling me "this isn't hip hop, you don't know what you're doing, its a sad excuse for dancing..." is not what these threads are for...

There are plenty of posts above hers that give constructive criticism, and comments that say, hey i don't really like your dance, but none of them were as RUDE and "know it all" as the previous one.

I usually could give a hoot about what people think, but when people blatently post claiming they know "what style of dance is what", it really pisses me off.

Maybe it's just because I come from a really hardcore competitive background where I've been dealt really harsh criticism (not always constructive) a lot, but here's my two cents:

You're entitled this thread "my hiphop videos". ie, you're more or less claiming 'this is hiphop' and 'I know that hiphop is'. Every claim you make is entirely open to criticism, constructive or not. Changed your mind halfway through the thread? You should have done it before you chose the thread title. (harsh but true)

I'll agree that Nicole19 may have been extremely blunt, but rude? She's just giving her opinion, which you basically asked for when you posted this video up. Did she call you petty names? No. Did she swear at you? No. Therefore, not rude as she is merely stating her opinion (even though it differs from yours).

starsumday wrote:

why does it matter what a dance is classified as?

Because dance classifications exist to differentiate the different dance forms from one another. These classifications have arisen from YEARS of historical, cultural and musical evolution, not to mention hard work from dance founders and teachers. It is generally regarded in the dance community - regardless of what form you're doing - that to call something which it's not is hugely disrespectful to all those people who worked so hard to make the classification known in the first place.

hiphop is only fairly new on the global stage, so I will use a more well-known example. Is a person in ballet shoes dancing to piano music a ballerina? Can they do a ballet dance without turnout, do a pirouette without correct retire and do a devloppe with a sickled ankle and expect to be taken seriously as a ballet dancer? No - because turnout, a held retire during a pirouette and eversion of the ankle are recognised 'elements' of the classical ballet dance form.

Hiphop may not be quite as regimented but in my opinion some things such as the 'down'/grounded stance (hard to explain aside from saying 'bent knees') are pretty integral to hiphop... they're not going to go anytime soon.

Starsumday wrote:

don't tell me you dont' like my dance because its not "hip hop" enough for you...grow up. i love to get judged...but fairly.

You can't be serious.

In my eyes, if you post up a thread saying 'look at my hiphop dance' and it's not straight hiphop, what do you think people are going to respond with? Maybe if you'd posted it on the jazz forum you may have missed out on the "um, I don't think that's hiphop" replies, but on here? Use your head!

Finally, this is an internet forum. Fair, no fair, blunt, constructive, you'll get all sorts of opinions here whether you like it or not. They're only "wrong" if they break our Terms of Service... and as a moderator I can assume you that no-one's done that in this thread yet.
correction
On Mon Feb 19, 2007 08:48 AM
^^^Glitterfairy wrote:
(You're entitled this thread "my hiphop videos". ie, you're more or less claiming 'this is hiphop' and 'I know that hiphop is'. Every claim you make is entirely open to criticism, constructive or not. Changed your mind halfway through the thread? You should have done it before you chose the thread title. (harsh but true))

Actually, if you read it it says my thread is 'CHECK OUT MY CHOREOGRAPHY...i actually don't even mention hip hop until a following post when I say, 'I consider this a combination of jazz/funk/hip hop' and yes this is hip hop forum, but my disclaimer should have negated the comments of (you don't know what youre talking about this isn't hip hop)

i COMPLETELY agree with you on terms of classifying dance. However, within jazz there is sexy jazz, theater jazz, jazz funk, lyrical jazz...so why in hip hop is it 'hip hop' or nothing. Why can't my dance be a combination of jazz/funk/hip hop as I classified it without people having a problem with it.

As you have constructively criticized my dances, you write EDUCATED explainations for what you are saying and why you feel the way that you do. AND, I never claimed to KNOW hip hop, or be straight hip hop, i posted it SAYING this is a COMBINATION of different styles of dance. So when people angrily, bluntly, and yes rudely (i feel) replying to a post by saying this is not hip hop...they're making themselves look more stupid by not reading where i wrote, i don't claim this to be straight hip hop.

Thank you for helping me to understand where these people are comming from, thank you for being educated and having intricate answers to the dance instead of, (you lack basic skills) and thank you for clearing up a conversation that HOPEFULLY won't have to happen again.

I can post where I want, and because i considered this dance even a smidgen of hip hop, im going to post it on a board to get feedback. It is posted on the jazz board as well, and I've gotten feedback there as well too. Except NOW i realize that the hip hop community is SO TOUCHY about what they're classification is, I probably WON'T post on here anymore considering even with a disclaimer, they still can't resist the urge to say, 'this is not real hip hop'.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatchDraw