Forum: General / Hip Hop / Hip Hop Photos - Members

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
Hey!
By Starsumdaymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 98, member since Sat May 10, 2003
On Mon Feb 19, 2007 09:07 AM
Hey I found this from someone who most def. knows what he's talking about on the hip hop board:

'Hip-hop (studio)- Studio hip-hop, is NOT considered (among true hip-hop heads) real hip-hop. Hip-hop, in its early years, was rather sexist and homophobic. So, the ballet dancers that could not make it in ballet that tried hip-hop and were shunned there, came together and created their own style of dance that they could pawn off to the dance world as hip-hop. When the video era came about, it was THESE dancers that were making it into videos (by means of producers that knew NOTHING about hip-hop).

The end result of all this, is what you see as MOST dancing in music videos: pirrouettes, pencil turns, fluid/languid arm movements, borrowed names for movements and no different styles, and the requirement of ballet as a background (due to much ballet influence).'

SO there you have it, I'm offically NOT real hip hop (as ive been trying to tell you) according to INVENT, I am studio hip hop....so now when i post, i will write, 'this is not REAL hip hop..it is studio hip hop'

yay!!!
just stuff
By StrutUrStuff Comments: 5, member since Sat Feb 10, 2007
On Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:13 AM
There clothes r awe sum!!!! Ya'll look real gud!!!!!
-StrutUrStuff
just stuff
By StrutUrStuff Comments: 5, member since Sat Feb 10, 2007
On Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:20 AM
Removed by glitterfairy (42646) on 2007-04-30 05:01:47 netspeak
There clothes r awe sum!!!! Ya'll look real gud!!!!!
-StrutUrStuff
Your harsh critic
By Nicole19 Comments: 25, member since Tue Jan 09, 2007
On Fri Mar 16, 2007 05:03 PM
I am the "girl" who said your choreography was not Hip Hop,sorry for the delay in my response, but let me start out by settibng you straight......

I am not 16/17 yrs old, I am a 27 yr old afro-american Hip Hop Instructor from New York City, born and breed! I also happen to be a competitive Hip Hop choreographer, with a long resume in stage performance, and music video. And I am very qualified to offer opinion on what is Hip Hop/Street Jazz/ Jazz Funk, as this is what I presently do for a living!

And please don't talk to me about Broadway Dance Center, when clearly you are not a regular student, as demonstrated by your lack of technique in hip hop and jazz funk for that matter! I wouldn't even mention that you've been to BDC.

You are the one who put your work out there to be criticized, you are the one who decided to classify your dance style as jazz funk/hip hop....I think you were hoping that all viewers would be impressed, and that was just not the case.....next time think before you post!!!

P.S. My work is not posted on line via video because I don't want any scrubs biting my choreography!! which is too bad for you because I am sure you could learn a thing or two from me! Now quit hating because you asked for it!
re: CHECK OUT MY CHOREOGRAPHY! - Shadows Dance Troupe - Fall 2006
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Sat Mar 17, 2007 07:32 AM
Starsumday wrote:

I can post where I want, and because i considered this dance even a smidgen of hip hop, im going to post it on a board to get feedback. It is posted on the jazz board as well, and I've gotten feedback there as well too. Except NOW i realize that the hip hop community is SO TOUCHY about what they're classification is, I probably WON'T post on here anymore considering even with a disclaimer, they still can't resist the urge to say, 'this is not real hip hop'.

It's not actually just hiphop being touchy - any other dance form currently being 'misinterpreted' on a global scale is VERY touchy about dance form definitions (other examples would be irish dance, belly dance).

In my opinion Jazz is a bit more 'open' because it has 'sub-branches' that more or less all contain the word 'jazz' which makes the relationship a bit easier. Additionally, jazz itself as a dance form is extremely open... it's the only dance form where it would be very difficult to do something and not be able to work it into a jazz routine (with no questions raised).

In fact the word 'jazz' is regarded by many to simply mean 'the most popular dance of the era', so that helps a lot too...
sigh...must i explain again
By Starsumdaymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 98, member since Sat May 10, 2003
On Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:07 PM
ok, for the last time (since some people refuse to read previous posts)

This is NOT real hip hop, it is studio hip hop / fake hip hop / whatever is not real to you...and I'm proud that its commercial...

Please constructively criticize my dance for what it is, not for what its not...

and on a side note: I go to BDC about 10X a summer, so not by definition a regular but def. more than most...and AS i said, I base alot of my choreography off of Sheryl Murakami who defines her class as jazz funk, and there is alot of sexual connotations and sexy dancing which I like to put into my dance, call it what you will, i dont really care, just criticize the dance...tell me my dancers weren't together, or there could have been more arm movements, or more transitions...whatever...but please, if one more person tells me this isn't real hip hop...

i KNOW...and i've clearly written it out for you that it's studio hip hop/jazz commercial...blah blah whatever

i dont know how to say it ANYMORE, so from here on out, unless i get some real critism, im not replying
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:50 PM
Sorry but when you post things up on the internet, you can't expect to have 'control' over what responses you get to it (free speech ruling).

And no-one's forcing you to reply :)
note to glitterfairy
By Nicole19 Comments: 25, member since Tue Jan 09, 2007
On Tue Mar 20, 2007 04:04 PM
I like your take on things, and you sound like someone with whom I could actually have a real conversation about Hip Hop. You seem to be as turned off as I am about all the fake Hip Hop out there.....however, I must say more and more there seem to be those who recognize the truth about dance in Hip Hop, and we are starting to see change in what's being offered up as Hip Hop on the competition circuit.
By dancemomkyka Comments: 28, member since Wed Sep 28, 2005
On Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:48 AM
Great Number, you guys really stayed together. Where you guys from and what studio do you dance for?
By KE650 Comments: 8, member since Fri Mar 23, 2007
On Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:26 PM
the choreography was cute. like you said though it isn't hard core hip hop. the first part (of the first piece) I liked best. but to be honest I think you should have used different music, using only the pussy cat dolls made it boring.
By TiNyDaNcEr56 Comments: 11, member since Wed Aug 02, 2006
On Sun Apr 29, 2007 02:18 PM
How could you get hate post with that it's amazing i love the funk all you guys have 'amazin' xxx
By THeBaLLeRiNa Comments: 413, member since Sat Jul 15, 2006
On Mon Apr 30, 2007 04:50 AM
Those dances were great! :) Good job! :)
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatchDraw