Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

Polynesian Dance
Tahitian drills to improve Technique.
By hulamom Comments: 5, member since Wed Nov 15, 2006
On Thu Dec 07, 2006 01:13 PM
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2007-06-07 13:34:08 fixed title
Made sticky by hylndlas (107168) on 2007-06-07 13:35:44 The info in this is very good and I think it would be very helpful as a sticky

Aloha All,
Anyone know of some good tahitian drills to do to improve technique and size of the shakes?

Mahalo Nui Loa all!

18 Replies to Tahitian drills to improve Technique.

re: tahitian drills
By No_Longer_on_DDNPremium member Comments: 102, member since Tue Mar 14, 2006
On Sun Dec 10, 2006 03:38 AM
(I learned this from a former roomie of mine) We used to do this drill where you go all the way down to level four (duck walk level)...and then we would do our fa'arapu for as long as we could. (I think the goal was to try to reach three minutes.) The whole point of the drill is to make your fa'arapu bigger. Try it...even if you only do it for a little bit...you'll notice that immediately after your fa'arapu is bigger (just for a little bit). If you do the drill consistently, then it the size of your fa'arapu for a longer period of time.

i hope i explained that with enough detal...= /

aloha...
By hulamom Comments: 5, member since Wed Nov 15, 2006
On Sun Dec 10, 2006 03:04 PM
Thanks that is a good one!! You are always so nice to reply to my posts. I really appreciate it! Let me know if you have any other good drills!
On Sun Dec 10, 2006 07:49 PM
No problem! = )

If I have it...I share it. That's the aloha spirit..yeah?

I have a few more drills but I have to figure out how to word them...so i'll post them soon. = )
duck walk
By nhannie Comments: 29, member since Sun Dec 10, 2006
On Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:15 PM
i just started taking tahitian lessons and i was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to duck walk & how to fa'arapu while in the duck walk position....
i dont think my thighs are strong enough yet or something because i cant keep the position for very long at all!
how were you taught to learn or practice doing it?

thanks! =)
re: tahitian drills (karma: 1)
On Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:50 PM
more drills...

*stand with your feet shoulder width apart and then push your hips from side to side as a far out as you can. this will help with the size of your tamau or otu'i because your stretching out those muscles. you can also do this to the front and back and it will help make your fa'arapu full and round.

*stand with your feet a little futher the shoulder width apart and make a full circle with your hips (like a really over exaggeratted ami). This will also help with the size of your fa'arapu.

ON DUCK WALKING
The only advice I can give is that practice makes perfect..lol..i know...not great. take it slow and work on building up your strength. it's not about how much ground you cover but the technique. sometimes doing your fa'arapu all the way down into the duck walk position will help you to continue you fa'arapu as your walking. does the make sense? i'm not the best duck walker in the world...i can't go more than a foot. = /

good luck!
By nhannie Comments: 29, member since Sun Dec 10, 2006
On Mon Dec 11, 2006 02:21 PM
thanks so much for all the advice you are giving! =)

when you learned to fa'arapu all the way down....did you just gradually go lower and lower until you were able to do it on your toes with your thighs parallel to the ground?
re: tahitian drills (karma: 1)
On Tue Dec 12, 2006 01:11 AM
I actually started off doing four down, four up (ami)...one at each level. That helped build up the strength in my legs. Then I moved to eight down, eight up. I would also try doing fa'arapu @ each level...like stopping @ each one, and trying to hold it for a bit..until I could eventually go full fa'arapu down smoothly.

I can can fa'arapu down like a champ...coming up is a different story though...lol
re: Tahitian drills to improve Technique.
By bernab Comments: 4, member since Wed Jun 13, 2007
On Wed Jun 13, 2007 03:01 PM
Reading this sure is giving me ideas on how to improve my technique!!

you guys are great
By Kelikea15 Comments: 20, member since Fri Nov 30, 2007
On Sat Dec 15, 2007 07:11 PM
when my teacher first taught us duck walks, she had us start by just holding the position for a while to help us with our balance.. then she had us duck walk back and forth across the floor several times every class to help build up our leg muscles.. the hardest part is keeping your balance. start your ami's really slow until you can do them without falling over, and just keep working up to fast ami's. hope this helped!!!
By Kelikea15 Comments: 20, member since Fri Nov 30, 2007
On Fri Jan 11, 2008 02:08 PM
wow that really does make a difference!!! i've been doing that excercise for a little while now, and i can really feel the difference when i dance! thanks so much!
By JLCDance Comments: 16, member since Tue Jul 12, 2005
On Wed Jan 16, 2008 09:20 AM
Can any one give me a site or name a technique book . I have been teaching Oriental for 2 years but am constently asked about Polynesian and there is no one by me that dose it.
By tnite Comments: 8, member since Thu Nov 13, 2008
On Thu Nov 13, 2008 06:53 PM
hey!
So i'm still learning how to successfully complete the duck walk.. i got the fa'arapu part down at the duck walk level but my feet has trouble "shuffling" across the floor. How can i be able to start actually traveling?? Any tips?
- Ola
By Aloha209 Comments: 1, member since Wed Dec 03, 2008
On Wed Dec 03, 2008 05:36 AM
Try to travel on the balls of your feet from a standing position and work yourself down... the momentum from your hip movement (your hips will actually be doing a tamau type movement versus a fa'arapu when you do the duckwalk) should start to carry you across the floor as you get lower. Let me know how that works for you!
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Mon Dec 29, 2008 04:31 PM
I been doing these drills lately and let me tell you something. If I don't have FLY THIGHS in 3 months I'm going to wonder why, because those drills put a hurting on me (in a good way) and you work some major all-over-body muscles doing them. Whew!

And yes, my shake is getting better!
By bernab Comments: 4, member since Wed Jun 13, 2007
On Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:56 AM
How do you do fa'arapus without shaking your shoulders? Mine always seem to shake no matter how hard I try to keep them steady! Any suggestions??
By tahigirl808 Comments: 2, member since Wed Oct 13, 2010
On Wed Oct 13, 2010 04:22 PM
Try putting your hands on your shoulders with your elbows pointing out and your arms parallel to the floor. This should help you control your shoulders moving when you are moving your hips. Make sure and bend your knees a good amount to provide more movement in your hips and a bigger fa'arapu
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Sun Aug 05, 2012 04:07 AM
Good Drills...

www.youtube.com . . .
(side to side)

www.youtube.com . . .
(front and back)
By Sparkle8 Comments: 5, member since Sat Aug 10, 2013
On Sat Aug 10, 2013 02:10 AM
Kiaora can u help, I'm doing the fa'arapu fast and slow to medium pace is sweet, as soon as I go faster my right heel starts to lift up to help balance me on the left othawise I feel like a helicopter wanting to take off and I don't know how to keep both heels down, this is important for me for the hula cook island style, when doing the round circle washing machine am I meant to be pumping equally thru both legs to work my hips? And also I tend to go to a shimmer on the faster fa'arapu as well why is this , are my legs weak as to why I shimmer and its not helping pump thru to my hips?

ReplySendWatch