Forum: Gym / Rhythmic Gymnastics

Stylistic Characteristics of the various Schools of Rhythmic Gymnastics
By Nephrite
On Sat Dec 09, 2006 06:45 AM

I have watched many videos of the various eastern European gymnasts such as Bulgaria,Belarus,Ukraine,Russia...what do you guys think is the difference between these schools of rhythmic gymnastics? For ballet you can tell between the Russian School(like Kirov Ballet/Vaganova Academy),the French School(Paris Opera Ballet),the English School(Royal Ballet/Royal Academy of Dance) etc...

Hmmn let's discuss?

7 Replies to Stylistic Characteristics of the various Schools of Rhythmic Gymnastics

re: Stylistic Characteristics of the various Schools of Rhythmic Gymnastics (karma: 2)
By ScarlettLeeloo
On Thu Dec 14, 2006 04:43 PM
Edited by ScarlettLeeloo (142336) on 2006-12-14 16:48:04 spelling, and adding a point
Edited by ScarlettLeeloo (142336) on 2006-12-14 16:49:31 spelling, i just type too fast sorry :(
Hmm, i'm not an expert on this matter, but i'll be glad to give you my observation of things. I haven't watched enough of the 80s and 90s RG to really talk about stylistic differences then (and in 80s we had USSR ;) )but i'll try to tell you what i think are the traits of the rhythmic schools. Generally, the mainstream style is usually influenced by the head coach/team of coaches/school of the coutry. Currently it is Irina Viner in Russia and Deriuginas of the Ukraine. I'm not entirely sure about BUL and BLR and next countries so i'll skip this for now.
Current trend of the Russian school is the accent on flexibility and body elements on the cost of apparatus technique, choreography and expression. I'll explain on the examples of current top three russian gymnasts in the RUS team: Kabaeva, Sesina and Kapranova. They maybe do challenge the RG with somewhat difficult elements often having to do with flexibility. Kabaeva seems to have moved the boundaries of RG when she apparead in the late 90s with her then astounding flexibility. In my opinion her routines were first fresh and her body technique was good. As the years went by her body elements started getting sloppier and sloppier but she was still winning. Choreography-wise, many of Alina routines were made like this, for exp. she had one music and one "choreography" (in her case i think choreography was more like "the order of elements" rather than any special elaborate choreography), and then she changed the music, keeping the same choreography, which resulted in the feeling that music is regarded only as background for her routines, not something you should expressively follow with yor body movements. Same things are even more present in the cases of Kapranova and Sesina, where the "music only as background" feeling is even more prominent. Kapranova lacks any sense of music, and her routines have "element after element" feeling. She has very flexible legs and especially back, which she excessively uses in her routines. She also lacks strong ballet basics, such as holding her arms, good releve, moving gracefully. She has some nice traits such as good feet arch, nice flexibity and a few nice elements, but they are often not properly executed. What i dislike the most actually is her very basic app. tecnique, incorrect rolls with stops of the ball, dragging of the ribbon, holding the clubs in a very grabby way, etc etc. Speaking of disgraceful apparatus tecnique, take Kabaeva's ball routine from this year's EC in Moscow, where 8 catches of the ball with both hands was counted!!! And when her acthes weren't with both hands, they weren't often done during an element, but rather just catching them standing and waiting for them to fall right into her hands... And that person we unfortunately have as the silver medalist on European Champs... Vera Sesina the European champion has actually strong ballet basics and certain elegance of her movements. She has amazing releve, a nice pivoting ability, but i feel that she cannot make proper shapes and fix them in balances and pivots. She is also thought of being a bit slow and not very expressive.
To make you sure that there is something different in current Russian gymnastics, you should just take a look at other videos from the Russian nationals excluding the three mentioned above and you'll be amazed what talented girls are left out from the top team. Golubenko, Seledchik, Stryuchkova, etc and especially Guseva, and most of them all WONDERFUL Marina Shpekht! Guseva's balances and pivots are executed wonderfully, and she has good apparatus tecnique and choreography. BUt Marina Shpekht! YOu don't have a feling that you are watching a gymnastic routine, you have a feeling that you are attending a wonderful dance performance. Choreography, expression, beautiful apparatus handling, originality, choice of music, it all just takes your breath away!
Going on to Ukrainian school. Lead by Deriuginas, Ukrainian gymnasts are famous for their correct technique with strong ballet basics. Leaps, balances, pivots are usually with nice classic shape and fixed, with good releve. Apparatus handling and choreography and expression are high values of this school as well. Apparatus catches throws and artistic moves are done while doing other elements in different difficult combinations (exp. Godunko). Musically and choreographically routines are compact and smooth.
For BUL in the times of the famous coach Neshka Robeva, artistic qualities were the msot valued. Choreography, dance, presence on the carpet, original and risky apparatus handling. Today as far as i can see most of these caracteristics are kept. Current Bulgrian juniors and early seniors are actually great in combining flexibility with choreography and app handling (exp. Mincheva, Sultanova as early seniors, and esp. Siderova and Prodanova as juniors).
For BLR i must say i'm not that informed, but what i like about their routines, is that they have great dance elements, not always balletic pointed feet, some modern balletish feel to it (exp. Charkashina, Zhukova...) and there are also examples of just too original app handling (exp. ZHukova's ball routine).
For other countries i think there isnt a mainstream style of the country, but it depends on the coach and the club gymnast is from. I hope this wasn't too long and that i helped even a bit :D
Irina Tchachina?
By Simona_A
On Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:25 AM
What about Irina Tchachina? She is also representing Russia! From my point of view she has everything for rhytmic: body tehnique, elements handling very good and also difficulties very well executed, good ballet! Also her routines are very well adapted to music and she looks like dancing on the music!
re: Stylistic Characteristics of the various Schools of Rhythmic Gymnastics
By RSGFan01
On Mon Jan 08, 2007 08:38 AM
First of all thanks for your post ScarlettLeeloo! Very interesting and I totally agree with you.

Of course Irina has everything you said Simona_A, but the problem is that she retired and I think that's the reason why ScarlettLeooloo didn't mention her ;)
By ScarlettLeeloo
On Thu Jan 11, 2007 02:59 PM
Yes, that's right. I love Irina, but I was talking about the latest trend and Ira has retired ;)
Thank you :)
By Nephrite
On Sun Jan 14, 2007 07:39 AM
Thank you very much for sharing with us your observations.I dont find it long at all,in fact you could add more if you wanted :)

I do agree with you that I notised kabaeva challenged the boundaries of RG and many actually think that the new COP was tailored for her.

One of my favourite gymnast is Irina Tchachina(Russia),I think she is so elegant and her routines touch people.Does anyone have any observations about her? Well I dont mind 'negative' comments on my favourite gymnasts hahaha :)
What if RG n Figure Skating combines?
By Nephrite
On Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:06 AM
I was just wondering how it would be if figure skating adopted some elements of RG like apparatus work.Of course there has to be some modifications.But I was just thinking how beautiful it will be if the skater incorporates a ribbon in her skating routine...hmmn what do you guys think?
By ScarlettLeeloo
On Mon Feb 12, 2007 04:09 PM
I agree with you it is a splendid idea. I was watching the skation Euros and kept wondering how wonderful would it be to incorporate some RG elements into figure skating :D Maybe it could be a new sport or something, I'd imagine you'd have to have ballet, RG and skating training to be able to do this, and lots of strength. I think it is nice to challenge boundaries on ice, and in latest years alot of flexibility is introduced even more and more into the skating routines. I love when the skaters include other ballet or dance jumps along with the classic ones. For exp, Lambiel's straddle jump and so on :D

ReplySendWatch