Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

tahitian pareos
By nhannie
On Wed Dec 13, 2006 04:25 PM

hi! i was just wondering...i see a lot of videos on youtube and some of the pareos move really nice. do you know if those are made of chiffon?
what would you recommend?...i have a cotton one that is quite heavy/stiff and i dont really like it...so now i am thinking of either getting one made of rayon or perhaps chiffon.

6 Replies to tahitian pareos

re: tahitian pareos
By No_Longer_on_DDNPremium member
On Wed Dec 13, 2006 08:14 PM
They're most likely RAYON...which is what everyone uses. I've never known anyone who uses chiffon. However...for certain competitions... we have to wear cotton (it's the rules) and cotton just does not move like rayon does. So in order to make it softer...we just wash it a few times and dry it with tons of fabric softer...it makes the material a lot softer and easier to move in.
By cleoNY
On Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:36 AM
Does anyone know of a good wholesale pareo seller. Im trying to find solid colors for my halau, and were going for the rainbow theme. thanks so much.
By nhannie
On Sun Jan 14, 2007 01:46 PM
ive never ordered from here, but i thought you might want to check it out
www.batiksarong.com . . .
By wannahula
On Fri Mar 09, 2007 02:56 AM
If you want to go cheap, but different from everyone else, I recommend just buying fabric and hemming the edges yourself. We've done that for a lot of shows and competitions and this way the odds of you having the same thing as someone else is slimmer.

Here's a cheap fabric store in Hawai`i: home.fabricmarts.com . . .

Hope that helps. ;)
By nhannie
On Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:17 PM
thanks! thats actually the first thing i tried to do...but i guess i bought the wrong type of rayon? it had a lot of static and would just stick to me haha...it didnt turn out too great, and then i made it too small =T

thanks for the website! i'll try the fabric there instead.
Satin Pareaus
By wannahula
On Fri Mar 09, 2007 09:31 PM
I've seen some girls use satin for competition pareaus back on Kaua`i awhile ago too. It was real pretty and soft, but I'm not so sure how practical it would be for you.

ReplySendWatch