Forum: Teaching Assistants

What do teaching assistants do?
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 16, 2006 08:33 PM

Next year (hopefully, if not, then the year after), I am going to become a teacher with IDTA. My teacher suggested that I could be a teaching assistant, to learn the syllabus, and just get experience teaching. I'm loving the idea already, lol, but I'm just wondering what this will actually involve.

So, what do you do as a teaching assistant?

3 Replies to What do teaching assistants do?

re: What do teaching assistants do? (karma: 1)
By HotWing
On Sun Dec 17, 2006 04:51 PM
I think it really depends on what level class you are assisting for. When I was an assistant I was a demonstrator for intermediate and int/adv classes. It was my job to learn and know each combination right off the bat and be the person they followed if needed and also help teach things that they were having trouble with. I myself do not have assistants for my older girls. I only have them for my little ones (ages 3-5). And the main thing i ask from them is please please for the love of all that is holy keep the children in there lines or places and don't let them run amuck! :) correct their feet if they need to be and help explain things when i am teaching so that i don't have to take my focus off of 10 little ones. i recommend assisting for all ages. because each class has a different need from the teacher and the assistant. good luck!! teaching is an awesome job and as long as you give it all you've got you will love it!
re: What do teaching assistants do?
By DCDancer274member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Dec 17, 2006 08:24 PM
HotWing pretty much gave a great answer, but I wanted to add that I have my assistants take kids outside to moms if they have to go to the bathroom, they run and get props from the closet, if I have a kid who doesn't want to dance they can focus on them while I'm teaching the other 11 kids in class. You will just help out the teacher with controlling the class.
re: What do teaching assistants do?
By MissR
On Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:01 PM
I have my assistants help set up the room (setting up portable barres or making sure props are ready to go). Take attendance at beginning of class. Assist with technical corrections, like taking the back row students and correcting feet or arms while I'm working with front row. Demonstrating exercises or combos. The assistants do these things quietly, so that the students are following my voice and the focus stays on me, otherwise it is distracting for them. Most importantly is to have a good communication with the teacher before assisting so that you know what is expected of you. Having a positive and interested attitude in class is also important as the students are always watching. Good Luck with the learning.

ReplySendWatch