Forum: Adults / Theatre Production

Theatre Production
help me!!
By irishgurl289 Comments: 38, member since Tue Jul 27, 2004
On Tue Dec 19, 2006 09:10 PM

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone can help me. For my drama class we are doing projects on professions in theatre like lighting technician or producer. My friend and I happened to get broadway dancer. We have to answer some question about it and present it. So since this is a dance site and this one ahd to do with theatre, i thought maybe you guys might be able to help me out. Some of my question are:
1)how do you get a job as a dancer in theatre
2)are there any courses you need to take? (university or college)
3)some famous people that are employed in this profession

really any info at all would be greatly appreciated. and i hope everyone understand what im try to ask haha. thanks in advance!

6 Replies to help me!!

re: help me!!
By mandarina Comments: 1278, member since Sun Jul 31, 2005
On Wed Jan 03, 2007 04:31 PM
[Have you try the music theatre or acting board yet?! You might get more detailed + satisfied answers there :] ]

I'll try to answer your questions with my limited knowledge in this field.
1. most dancers get employed by auditioning. and as you know, the theatre picks the bestest out of the best.
2. taking courses are not required, however, it will be benefitial to the performers.
3. you can check the web site for bio
www.broadway.com

it sounds like a interesting project! good luck :]
By dancingthrulifemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 539, member since Sun Jan 30, 2005
On Sat Feb 03, 2007 09:30 PM
No matter if you want to dance, sing, or act, you have to audition to be cast in a Broadway show. I don't think that you really NEED to take classes, but it can't hurt to keep going to dance classes (particularly ballet and jazz).

I'll post later with some informaiton on some famous Broadway performers. Hope this is helping!
By sweetyface17 Comments: 650, member since Mon Nov 08, 2004
On Sun Feb 18, 2007 05:12 PM
I would say that you need classes to do well. You should know technique and terminology. Without them you'll look kind of silly. Tap is very important too. Broadway dancing requires a lot of versitility. It also helps if you're not allergic to feathers. Lol.
By unhdncr21 Comments: 45, member since Wed Sep 06, 2006
On Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:50 PM
First off, every child who wants to work on Broadway MUST take classes. I would suggest going to a college/university or conservatory. It is a MUST... to make it in this world you MUST be a triple threat - which means Act, Dance, and Singing. The students should take ballet class (for center work) tap (since most shows now include tap dances) and jazz class (for all those bubble gum musicals out there) then they should take voice lessons because first round in a Broadway auditions are singing... then of course the famous acting classes... they don't need to take any of the extreme classes where they end up crying no stop talking about their personal problems but they do need to take something. As long as the auditioner isn't an equity member they will only be allowed to audition for non-equity parts... but there's a whole process... Famous people: Bob Fosse, Ann Rieken, Chita Rivera, Gwen Verdon, Elizabeth Parkinson and soooo many more..
By Danseller Comments: 53, member since Wed Feb 21, 2007
On Tue Apr 10, 2007 03:26 PM
How do you get to Broadway? Practice, practice, practice.
Sorry, couldn't avoid a chance to tell a lame joke!
By irishgurl289 Comments: 38, member since Tue Jul 27, 2004
On Tue Apr 10, 2007 04:43 PM
thank you all so much! our teacher loved the project and all the useful information we got from you! we ended up getting an A+! thanks again!!

ReplySendWatch