Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

very silly questions but lookin foward to know the answers! ;-)
By passion_23
On Sun Dec 24, 2006 08:47 AM

1.can a person learn yoga or pilates without going to any classes????

2.how did yourll get to know about yoga and pilates

3.how did yourll learn it?? was it by your self or what??

4.was it difficult???

5.can you teach a person without meeting him or her in person maybe by net or something???

6.can you do yoga in a room?? or in a closed placed???

this questions really sounds silly...
but i really wanna know if this is possible!!!

luv,
sharon

3 Replies to very silly questions but lookin foward to know the answers! ;-)

re: very silly questions but lookin foward to know the answers! ;-)
By DancerGirl_08
On Sun Dec 24, 2006 09:21 AM
1. Absolutely. There are millions of yoga and pilates DVDs and videos out there that you can buy and then go do in your own home. Try looking for beginner tapes that will breakdown each move and really explain things. (You could also go to your local library or book store and see if they have any beginner books - I know they exsist because I have several - some that I bought and others that I've rented from the library)

2. I first discovered Pilates when my mom found a video of it at a Sam's Club. She thought it looked interesting, so she bought it - and then ended up never using it, so I stole it, tried it out, and was instantly hooked. It was a beginner tape - there was a 10 minute section in the beginning that covered the basic pilates terminology that would be used throughout the tape, and then the rest of it was just simple, basic moves. I also read books, and looked things up on the internet to learn more about pilates.

3. As I said, I'm completely self-taught. I've learned everything I know from DVD's, videos, books, and the internet.

4. No, I didn't think it was that difficult. It just requires time and practice - and consistancy is key (you won't learn anything if you only do pilates once every couple of months)

5. Um, it would be difficult to completely teach someone pilates over the internet, but if they have a basic knowledge of pilates, and just have some questions or something, then you could certainly answer their questions over the net.

6. Of course. You can do pilates or yoga wherever you like, as long as you have enough space to do the moves. I personally do pilates in my living room (which has plenty of floor space, as well as a television - which is necessary since I follow along with tapes or DVD's)

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me!
Good Luck!
~*EmilyRose*~
By misspetamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Dec 25, 2006 05:14 AM
Thats how i did it! Marie winsor tapes are the best

i discovered pilates by a class i used to take at the gym which was a blend of yoga pilates and tai chi

basically i taught myself pilates. it took a while to master some of the stuff but im now a pro

4.was it difficult???
very!

5.can you teach a person without meeting him or her in person maybe by net or something???
to a degree but they would need a basic knowledge

you can do it anywhere! i do it on a matt infront of my tv
By Pasdekatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:24 AM
Yes, there are some very good videos and books, but classes are BEST because then you get corrections and can ask questions.

Taking class, reading, videos, talking to teachers, my certifications and workshops

all of the above
4.was it difficult???
sometimes, different aspects are easy/hard for different people
I wouldn;t feel comfortable teaching/learning that way.

Yes, pilates you just need a small space, yoga maybe a slightly bigger space.

ReplySendWatch