Forum: General / Tap / Stepping

Stepping
Teaching step sequesnces to 6-7 year olds.
By DancinMomof2 Comments: 65, member since Sun Dec 31, 2006
On Tue Jan 02, 2007 08:28 PM

I am currently doing a fusion choreography with a very simplistic step sequence. I am trying to teach the rhythm to young kids. Anyone have any ideas as to how to get the kids to understand?

What I have done so far is told them they were making the letter M, 2 spaces and the letter V

Step(R)-clap-step(L)-clap-step(R)
Step(L)-Step(R)
Clap-Step(L)-Clap

2 Replies to Teaching step sequesnces to 6-7 year olds.

re: Teaching step sequesnces to 6-7 year olds.
By neal Comments: 794, member since Wed Oct 19, 2005
On Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:11 AM
It is hard at that age. They need visuals because what you're saying isn't clicking in their little heads. So, rent a video that shows Step dancing. That will help them see the rhythm, timing and energy needed for this dance style. Kids are great copiers. The video will help them to mentally connect. Watch it a few times together, then tell them you want them to have the rhythm as seen in the video. There is a DVD called "Celebration of Irish Dancing Moves." At the end of it, a Black University does these killer Steppin' moves. The DVD cost $10.95. You can get it from cduniverse.com. In the search bar type in the title. Keep in mind it traces the history of Steppin' which is very, very interesting. That's an education lesson you can pass on to your kids.

Also, there's another fantastic Steppin' video out there. It is very expensive to purchase (over $200+) but you can RENT it for $95.00. It is AWESOME! Great history as well. It shows fraternities and sorities doing it up big time! You can rent it from cinemaguild.com. Type in the search bar "Steppin' video." When the page appears, click on "Code Title 1312."

After watching the video, demonstrate your sequence slowly, breaking it down piece by piece. Sure, its basic, but not to a confused 6-7 year old! After a few demos, I always ask my little ones, "Who has it?" Invariably, more than one hand will shoot up and I will let each child that has it demonstrate. Those who don't have it, I partner them with the child that does, so that I can continue helping any others. I do keep an eye on them though to make sure they still have it and haven't lost it! Children learn from each other, so don't be afraid to let them partner with the stronger one. I love it when my little "assistants" yells out, "Ms. Neal, she's got it!" And they're both standing there beaming!

Keep repeating, drilling and demonstrating over and over again and it will get easier for them. However, I wouldn't add on any new steps until they have fully gotten the concept of what you have already shown them.
re: Teaching step sequesnces to 6-7 year olds.
By DancinMomof2 Comments: 65, member since Sun Dec 31, 2006
On Tue Jan 09, 2007 08:01 PM
Thank you so much, this is wonderful advice. I really like the partnering thing, I think that will help a lot.

ReplySendWatch