Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers
What you need to know to become an ID dressmaker (karma: 12)
By Ca_danseresje Comments: 541, member since Mon Apr 26, 2004
On Wed Jan 10, 2007 03:29 AM
Made sticky by pharmadancer (87219) on 2007-01-13 08:00:34

Several dressmakers have created a guide or "How to" resource to share their insights in ID dressmaking with others. These guides are wonderful for those who are starting or have just started to make their first dress. They are also a very good resource for those who wish to improve their dressmaking skills. I thought it might be useful to list them here.

I would like to give a big THANK YOU to all the dressmakers patient and kind enough to write down their process. I know they saved me many years of research!

Basic dressmaking/construction guides:
Anita Moyes dancingoneire.com . . .
Aylwen Garden www.earthlydelights.com.au . . .
Colleens of Canberra www.colleensofcanberra.com . . .

Patterns with instructions:
Pat from Irish Threads www.irishthreads.com
Susan Gowin from Feisdress www.feisdress.com . . .

Construction issues:
Part 1: taoknitter.blogspot.com . . .
Part 2: taoknitter.blogspot.com . . .
Part 3: taoknitter.blogspot.com . . .

Ask all your questions on:
www.voy.com . . .
FAQ link: www.voy.com . . .

Designs and designer resource:
www.colleensofcanberra.com

These are all I can think of right now from the top of my head. If I have missed any, please let me know and I will add them!

21 Replies to What you need to know to become an ID dressmaker

re: What you need to know to become an ID dressmaker
By Cinnawiz Comments: 3136, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Wed Jan 10, 2007 04:55 AM
Great post, thank you for putting this all together! Do I smell sticky??
re: What you need to know to become an ID dressmaker (karma: 3)
By KnotworkMolltPremium member Comments: 2804, member since Sat Oct 09, 2004
On Wed Jan 10, 2007 02:29 PM
Brilliant! Thanks for assembling all that info.

You did leave out psychiatric help (because you have to be nuts to get into this business!) www.psywww.com . . .
re: What you need to know to become an ID dressmaker (karma: 2)
By Jitchiwahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2897, member since Tue Sep 03, 2002
On Thu Jan 11, 2007 05:09 AM
lol - though i do know of some people who were actually fairly sane when they made their first dress - just kinda stumbling into it by accident. But THEN the dresses DROVE them insane.

Molly - do your dress talk to you too?
re: What you need to know to become an ID dressmaker (karma: 2)
On Thu Jan 11, 2007 02:03 PM
Dresses do not speak to me, but the fabrics....now, that's another story. I cannot enter a fabrics store without hearing all these little voices: "Pick me! pick me! I will be a beautiful dress....!"

Does that ever happen to you Jess? :D
btw, gorgeous OTR!!!
re: What you need to know to become an ID dressmaker (karma: 4)
By KnotworkMolltPremium member Comments: 2804, member since Sat Oct 09, 2004
On Thu Jan 11, 2007 02:14 PM
^^ Yes, Jitch, the dresses do speak to me - that's why I give them all personal names - but it's mostly subversive things like "Eat the chocolate! Eat the chocolate!"
By Jitchiwahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2897, member since Tue Sep 03, 2002
On Thu Jan 11, 2007 03:24 PM
yes fabrics speak to me to. I walk into a fabric store and I can hear them all shouting and screaming at me. And the sales assistants wonder why I crouch behind the pattern stand covering my ears yelling "the voices, make them stop, make them STOP!!!"

My dresses steal invisible thread that I just put down.. and hide pattern pieces behind chests of drawers. And hide bottles of glue i look everywhere for then put them back on the cutting table where I just looked.
re: What you need to know to become an ID dressmaker (karma: 5)
By ZandBPremium member Comments: 1068, member since Fri Sep 03, 2004
On Thu Jan 11, 2007 03:34 PM
Making a solo dress can be enormously challenging and exceptionally exasperating.

Normal stress reduction techniques (Yoga, Red Wine, and Dark Chocolate) may not measure up to the task at hand.

For those situations in which you become befuddled, frazzled, or simply stark raving bonkers, you may have to resort to the “Solo Dress Stress Reduction Tool”

Image hotlink - 'http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/ZandB/SoloDressStressReductionTool.jpg'
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Jan 12, 2007 01:00 AM
Jess, my tailors dummies talk to me, they are Elenor and Nestor. They tell me who steals my scissors :D
Btw who says that its us who are insane. I think people who hear fabric talk are the normal ones and Elenor and Nestor agree :P
re: What you need to know to become an ID dressmaker (karma: 1)
By feismommy Comments: 116, member since Wed Feb 22, 2006
On Fri Jan 12, 2007 04:34 AM
So far, I have not been insane enogh to try this however now that there is dress making for dummies I should try it on something small and work up to it. I can sew just have no patience. Thanks for the help!? I will make sure I have the extras needed should I attempt this at home, stress blue dot for wall, big bottle of wine and bigger bottle of asprin! LOL
re: What you need to know to become an ID dressmaker (karma: 1)
By FeisannePremium member Comments: 1733, member since Tue Aug 03, 2004
On Fri Jan 12, 2007 07:03 AM
Edited by OMoB (102026) on 2007-01-12 07:04:20
My dummy is called 'Tilly' she's a great companion as she doesn't answer back when I'm complaining about things.

Fabric screams at me too Jess I am a self confessed 'Fabraholic' and proud of it....have been from a very early age, which is too long ago to mention on a family board :)

Annie xxx
goblins (karma: 1)
By dressmom Comments: 27, member since Mon Sep 06, 2004
On Tue Jan 16, 2007 05:04 AM
I agree-there must be solo dress goblins loose in my sewing room who steal scissors, tape measures, applique pieces-how many times do you have one and not the other and you just cut it!!??
As for sequins-I spot check everyone's feet when they leave the house now to make sure they don't have sparkly tag-alongs.
The neighbour's kids always seem to go home with something pretty stuck to them though-however the 6 year old loves it-comes back and says "can I keep this?" (sequin)

Comment #6467928 deleted
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2007-10-01 22:38:00 and that's called star farming here at ddn, and it's against the rules! That's why we don't all just do that!

By angelfeet06Premium member Comments: 208, member since Sun Oct 01, 2006
On Thu Mar 13, 2008 04:51 PM
thanks for the websites. I personally found 'feisdress' and 'taoknitter' very useful. BTW my dress form is called Dolly, not very original but she is a godsend.
By Bettysmam Comments: 32, member since Thu Feb 26, 2009
On Fri Feb 27, 2009 09:49 AM
very helpful post
On Fri Feb 27, 2009 03:02 PM
Unfortunately, most of these links do not work anymore.

Colleens of Canberra is sadly no longer running and Ann a.k.a. Taoknitter has migrated her blog.
You can read her new blog here:
taoknitterarts.com

If you need more help regarding dress issues or a place to talk about it, visit the Celtic flame Voy board:
www.voy.com . . .

or join the Yahoo ID dressmaking group:
groups.yahoo.com . . .

And you can ALWAYS ask your questions here on DDN of course!
By Bradyirishdancer Comments: 145, member since Fri Mar 20, 2009
On Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:58 AM
My mum has just made my sister a dress and is really proud of it she says she might go in to buisness you go mommy!
By sixinthenest Comments: 23, member since Sun Sep 06, 2009
On Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:43 PM
Edited by sixinthenest (216015) on 2009-09-07 12:52:09 typo
Hello, I am so very new to this forum - and am enjoying all of the wonderful posts! I wonder, though, if this Sticky should be edited. At least half of the links listed are 'broken'. Maybe some of the more experienced here can help us newbies learn if the site is actually gone or just has a new address.
Thanks!
By TaoknitterPremium member Comments: 183, member since Sat Aug 06, 2005
On Mon Sep 07, 2009 04:28 PM
I fixed the "Diary of a Daft Dressmaker" links at the top to direct folks to the pages on the newer dressmaking blog which is taoknitter.wordpress.com.

Thanks to Caroline, as always!
By dancer4life77 Comments: 229, member since Wed Jul 14, 2010
On Sun Jul 18, 2010 09:50 PM
Dresses speak to me too. I went to the national's this year to watch one of my good friends, but I stayed to watch all the girls in her competition because I love looking at the dresses. And don't get me near a dress sale rack - I will try on every one that is even remotely close to my size, and I don't even dance anymore! Gosh I just love dresses. Ever since I made one of my own, I've been dying to do it again...
By dancer4life77 Comments: 229, member since Wed Jul 14, 2010
On Sun Jul 18, 2010 09:52 PM
And all of my dresses have names and stories that go along with them!!! Each one has been special.
By Kate_79 Comments: 41, member since Thu Feb 26, 2009
On Wed Aug 17, 2016 08:17 AM
I'm so late to the party...but a lot of those links don't work anymore (what did work had great information though!). Is there any chance of updating the sticky? Thanks! :)

ReplySendWatch