Forum: General / Hip Hop / Capoeira

Capoeira
starting out new ...
By melody_of_lyf Comments: 11, member since Sat Sep 04, 2004
On Sat Jan 13, 2007 06:17 AM

im around 17 years old...and dont have much of a dance background, so just wondering if it's too late to start capoeira...you know with all the flips, and kicks and flexibility that you need...

would it be much harder for a 17 year old to learn? i kind of don't want to go to a school and make a fool of myself ...

anyway...just drop in your opinions and let me know =P

12 Replies to starting out new ...

re: starting out new ...
By deddrunk Comments: 47, member since Wed Jan 12, 2005
On Fri Jan 26, 2007 02:06 PM
damn....i WISH i was 17 when i started capoeira....
i started at 23...been doin for 4 1/2 years...i think im ok
check me out..youtube.com . . .
trust me, you should be just fine
...and dont worry about looking like a fool....
EVERYBODY looks like a fool when they start out..hahahah
-later
By jasey Comments: 5, member since Mon Jan 24, 2005
On Sun Mar 04, 2007 04:54 PM
You will be fine. Alot of people only find out what capoeira is until they are alot older (like myself). I think all of us (that started out late) wished that we could only start earlier. There's really no limitation on when or how old you have to be with capoeira. If you have the passion, thats all you need.

Hope you are training hard

Tchau.
Sounds like good timing to me!
By Unanimous Comments: 1, member since Sun Mar 04, 2007
On Sun Mar 04, 2007 05:19 PM
Too late?? LOL! 17 is a good age to start! You should have the knowledge to pick up the movements fast and be able to really understand the history and culture that surrounds capoeira! Good Luck, I'm sure you'll have fun!

Peace
By happygolucky Comments: 153, member since Sat Sep 11, 2004
On Wed Mar 14, 2007 07:23 PM
How hard is it to learn to move like that if you can't even do a back walkover...is it even possible?
By deddrunk Comments: 47, member since Wed Jan 12, 2005
On Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:26 AM
of course its possible!!!!you dont have to know how to do a back walkover to move like "that"
hell....im JUST learning how to do a back walkover...and ive been doin capoeira for like 4 1/2 years!
trust me..theres way more to capoeira than learning how to do a back walkover..
By Narahari2 Comments: 62, member since Thu Nov 29, 2001
On Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:54 AM
My Mestre can not do a back walkover, but he can do many amazing things. Capoeira is not gymnastics; we have other, and, in my opinion, heathier ways of moving the ways we do. In gymnastics, the point is do things as part of a plan. Our moves must be done according to the needs of the game. We do acrobatics moves the way
a basketball player runs and jumps.
By Aqualeine Comments: 475, member since Wed Mar 28, 2007
On Tue Apr 10, 2007 03:11 PM
My brother didn't start until he was 19 and now he's awesome. And he had no dance training. You don't need any kind of training in fact. The only thing that would help you is being in shape, being flexible and strong and having endurance.

AND the thing about it is, you can be really good at it and win all the capoera games without doing all the fancy flips and handstands. All that is impressive and flashy but it's not essential. If someone does a backflip and a walkover and a handstand but doesn't pay attention to his surroundings or how solidly he lands, I could knock him over so easily just by crouching down and jumping up at the right moment to knock him off his balance. You don't have to be the strongest or the most acrobatic to be the best.
By BadNewZz Comments: 23, member since Thu Mar 15, 2007
On Tue Apr 24, 2007 06:16 AM
Hey i'm 16 and i want to start this up too but i dont kno where to go to learn about it lol
By CenterStage001 Comments: 13, member since Tue Mar 06, 2007
On Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:47 PM
same as the person above, where can i learn this?
By apples007 Comments: 29, member since Fri Apr 20, 2007
On Fri May 04, 2007 06:53 PM
I don't think it is ever too late to start anything...If you have the desire and the drive you can do it
Where to find capoeira
By Listkeeper Comments: 113, member since Sun Sep 08, 2002
On Fri May 18, 2007 07:42 PM
Look at my website, The Capoeira List: home.znet.com . . .
If that does not help, look under Resources for the school lists page, one of them might be able to help if mine does not.
If that does not work, try putting in your location on capoeira forums. I have a page under Resources of capoeira forums.
it s not late
By EveHop Comments: 7, member since Fri Sep 08, 2006
On Fri May 18, 2007 08:33 PM
heeey! go ahead! if u wanna learn..just do it! i was 16 when i started in jazz dance so...i think you re young! c'mon!

ReplySendWatch