Forum: Ballet / Advanced & Professional Ballet

Need Extension help!!! Please help!!
By IFeelLikeDancingmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jan 14, 2007 04:08 PM
Image detached by glitterfairy (42646) on 2007-01-15 02:14:13 image not related to thread topic

Okay, so here's the deal.
I am training with a professional school and it is going really well, but I really need to get my extensions higher. Compaired to the other girls in my class I am struggling and I really want to prove I can do it.
My extensions are above 90 but I need them A LOT higher. If anyone has any tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated!!! :)
thanx for your help!!
Erin

7 Replies to Need Extension help!!! Please help!!

re: Need Extension help!!! Please help!!
By GrinsPremium member
On Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:58 PM
I'm in your boat. My extensions are not naturally good, so we have to work hard at them :) Do you stretch every day? If you don't already, it's a wise idea. Whenever you have a spare 30 minutes or so, stretch! I find that if I stretch for about an hour after I get out of the shower, it doesn't hurt as much and it gets me into a routine.

I hope this helps!
By enigmaticpheomember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:01 PM
Definitely stretch every day to improve flexibility, but I bet you have the flexibility, just not the strength (like almost everyone!) =] Check out the strengthening board, make sure you're not using the top of your thighs to hold extensions, keep the hip down, and strengthen as much as you stretch. You'll get there! =]
By IFeelLikeDancingmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:26 AM
thanx guys, I already do stretch A LOT everyday, but the other tips will help. If anyone has any specific strengthening exercises it would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanx!
~Erin
By DanceAngel120Premium member
On Mon Jan 15, 2007 02:40 PM
Ok, so if you're stretching a lot, most likely it's really a matter of strength, not flexibility. I have naturally poor extensions too, so I have to work on them a lot myself, though these days I get to dance less and less, and so I have less and less time to devote to working on things like that. Anyway, one exercise that I really liked both helps with flexibility and strength. Put your leg up on the barre as if you're doing a normal barre stretch. Do whatever stretching you want while you're there. Then just try to lift your leg off the barre for a few seconds. It doesn't have to be more than an inch or so off the barre, and if you can't even get it off the barre at first, that's ok. You're still going to be able to feel the right muscles that you need to be working on very well. Repeat that a few times, lift your leg for a couple of seconds, put it back on the barre, lift your leg off, put it back down. It'll help you find and strengthen the muscles you need to get better extensions.
By DreamingTreemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:01 AM
Removed by calypso (11968) on 2007-01-16 11:09:09 double post
Another effective way to improve your extensions is to do grand battements in the barre with weights in your ankles. Put light ones at first, like 1kg each ankle, and do grand battements to every side, with both legs. Make sure you are VERY warmed up before doing so in order to prevent some kind of injury! After doing a sequence, take the weights out and do grand battements without them, you're immediately going to feel a difference! Do this for a while, I don't recommending doing this exercise for a long period of time (like months) because I believe eventually your legs start to become very bulky.

Cathy
By DreamingTreemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:04 AM
Another way to improve your extensions effectively would be doing grand battements in the barre with weights on your both ankles. I'd do with 1kg in each at first, and then later perhaps move to a more heavy one.

Do a sequence with both legs to all the sides (a la seconde, devant and dérriere), I guess like 8 each would be fine.
Just make sure you are VERY warmed up before doing so, in order to prevent some bad injury.

After doing the sequence, take the weights out and do the grand battements again without them. Immediately you are going to feel a difference.

I don't recommend doing this for a very period of time though (several months for example), because I believe eventually you start to gain some bulky muscles.

Any question, feel free to PM.

Cathy
By Ticklemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 18, 2007 01:43 PM
Edited by Tutus_N_Toes (21774) on 2007-01-18 13:49:39
Hold your leg in the desired extension position, and let go. Then HOLD IT! Also try holding your thigh close to your body (leg bent) and slowly streighten the leg keeping the thigh close to you. Then try to let go. Do you have ankle weights? Do a few developes with added weight.

Something that works like magic for me when I'm working on my extensions: Lye on the your back and stretch your leg to the front getting it as close to you as possible. Then either find a person to push on your leg as you resist (they push the leg towards you, and you push away), or loop a theraband around your body and your leg to hold it close to your body and push away from it. Push until your muscles shake and you can't stand it any more, then let go, and your leg will go ALOT further!

There are a lot of excersises that will be effective as long as you're dedicated and do it regularly and faithfully! Good luck!

~Rebecca~

ReplySendWatch