Poll: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 1 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7
Why did you start Irish Dance?
By Cinnawiz Comments: 3136, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Sun Jan 21, 2007 04:01 PM

Ok, I'll admit my reason: I saw Riverdance and wanted to try it!

What's your reason?

163 Replies to Why did you start Irish Dance?

re: Why did you start Irish Dance?
By reel_ghillies Comments: 746, member since Thu Oct 12, 2006
On Sun Jan 21, 2007 04:43 PM
Edited by reel_ghillies (168411) on 2007-01-21 16:44:45 abc
ok well, my best friend's sister did it and i was always at her practices because we played a lot (we were pretty young) and i just really wanted to do it. so, i guess that would go under the, "just because i felt like it" category
By gazelle3 Comments: 119, member since Fri Oct 20, 2006
On Sun Jan 21, 2007 05:06 PM
I was always a dancer, but my whole childhood I dreamed of being a professional ballet dancer and I was very dedicated. Then came college and kids and marriage and I just kind of let the dancer part of me slip away. Then about 7 years ago, I happened to see Riverdance. I had never even heard of ID before. I don't even know how to explain what happened to me when I saw that show! It just reignited something inside me. I just thought "my god I HAVE to learn how to do this." and proceeded to find an ID school in my area, walk in, and start from scratch having not danced in years.(SO unlike me!) I have never looked back. I took to it right away and feel just as passionate about it as I used to feel about ballet. Thank you Riverdance!
By dansinbeest Comments: 453, member since Mon Aug 07, 2006
On Sun Jan 21, 2007 05:17 PM
when i was 4 i saw riverdance on the tube(tv) and ran around the house stomping my feet and after a couple years on a waiting list(!!) i got into a class. my parents gave me a lecture saying "don't think you know dance and not pay attention. listen to your teachers! just stomping is not right!" ...well that was the basic idea because i thought i knew how......

so yeah, thats my story.
By cuileannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 478, member since Fri Dec 15, 2006
On Sun Jan 21, 2007 05:55 PM
The show I saw was a local company that has their own musicians, not Riverdance...they're pretty awesome, they're called Siamsa le Cheile (sp?) and they're based in the Bay Area, CA.
By ChoChomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4151, member since Fri May 13, 2005
On Sun Jan 21, 2007 06:06 PM
I loved ID ever since I saw Riverdance, but I always wanted to irish dance because I am Irish.
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Sun Jan 21, 2007 06:18 PM
I started ballet when I was 2, my aunt danced ballet since she was really young as well so dancing has always been a part of me. Well after a while ballet just got so slow that I was starting to get board with it.

I had known about ID because my grandmother always told me about how her grandma had taught her dad how to do it and then I decided I wanted to try it because I needed a change. :)

~Spiorad
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Sun Jan 21, 2007 06:38 PM
I had major need of some exercise. Not that exciting, really...but it's morphed into SO much more than that.

Dani
By ShuleARuemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 984, member since Thu Dec 08, 2005
On Sun Jan 21, 2007 08:06 PM
My grandparents (who live in a totally different state) knew the local ID teachers husband. So that was how i found out that a)Irish dancing exists, and b)That there was a dance school in my small town

So then a while later I had a Violin recital. The irish dancers were performing after me and I didn't get to watch them, but I did see them walking around in their school dresses. I didn't like the costumes all that much. My mom asked me if I wanted to take Irish Dance jokingly and my reaction was "No way! I'd rather do Ballet or Jazz" which is what I took when I was really little before we moved here.
But I was really missing taking dance. I didn't really want to take Ballet because I was kind of embarassed (don't ya love JR. High). For some reason my mind kept going back to Irish Dance until I finally decided to try it. And after my first lesson.. I LOVED IT. I even convinced my best friend to join too. And thats my story, we've both been dancing ever since.
By ILoveCatsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1577, member since Fri Aug 22, 2003
On Mon Jan 22, 2007 04:07 AM
one word.

B*WITCHED

Anyone remember these guys?

I thought they were the coolest people on the planet, and their 5 seconds worth of irish dancing in the cest la vie video clip was IT.

Love it :D
By irish_4_life Comments: 1094, member since Tue Jul 11, 2006
On Mon Jan 22, 2007 02:06 PM
Well.... my FIRST TC came to my primary to teach a class and a girl at my primary school already danced with her. She began teaching a group of us lessons after school and well.... the start of a beautiful relationship was born :)

After a while however, she sadly passed away and there's not a day that goes by without me thinking about my dancing angel. I know she's there with me when ever I dance, watching over me. I had another TC after she left our school because she got too sick to teach but we had... differences and I'm at my 3rd school and loving it!

There's so many wondefful and cool people I have met in the world of Irish dance! even competitiors are so supportive! I love all you guys...

yeah so that's basicaly the life history of my dance :) Sorry about that....
By irishdancer113member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1706, member since Sat Dec 07, 2002
On Mon Jan 22, 2007 02:46 PM
^^ I remember B*Witched! I used to love them. I know exactly the clip you are talking about, too! I got my cousin (who used to dance) to teach me a REALLY simple step and I did it to that song for my school's talent show. Haha.

It was actually that same cousin that inspired me to start dancing for real a few years later. What inspired me to come back after a break was a combination of things. I missed it and I missed my friends terribly, I loved dancing, I was in major need of some exercise, and the death of a friend showed me that life is too short to waste by skipping out on the things you love.

I'm so glad I started that first time, and even more glad I went back. It's a part of me and I wouldn't give it up for the world.
By REDPremium member Comments: 1153, member since Sun Oct 24, 2004
On Mon Jan 22, 2007 03:54 PM
i saw in my class irish dance at a regular class thing and i wanted to start. so the next month i started! this is eithermy 3rd year or my 4th
By cuileannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 478, member since Fri Dec 15, 2006
On Mon Jan 22, 2007 06:40 PM
I just went and watched that B*Witched video on youtube. Funny stuff. SO '90s!
On Mon Jan 22, 2007 06:41 PM
I just went and watched that B*Witched video on youtube. Funny stuff. SO '90s!
By TrischPremium member Comments: 548, member since Sun Jan 18, 2004
On Tue Jan 23, 2007 01:30 AM
I moved to a new town and wanted to get in contact with people => I choosed some workshops in a kind of adult school and one of them was an ID class. As I thought, I should do some exercises, dancing was/is and will always be the best thing to get me into motion.
By Kaarinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 234, member since Thu Aug 24, 2006
On Wed Jan 24, 2007 01:30 PM
I've always loved Irish music and the rhythm of it that makes you wanna start dancing (cliché, I know ;)). I got my sparkle to dance when I saw The Rhythm of the Dance (It's the very first Irish dance show that I saw), and in the next day, I registered to the class :)

But to be honest, it all started when I saw Titanic... ;)
By Preludium Comments: 877, member since Mon Feb 13, 2006
On Wed Jan 24, 2007 02:47 PM
I don't remember how I got to know that ID exists. But when I was in high school, there was an article in the local newspaper that someone was going to arrange a summer camp to teach ID and get a performing group. I was looking for something fun to do during the summer break, and I had wanted to dance (mostly thought of ballet) since I was in elementary school.

I got interested, but couldn't go to the camp because I had a music camp at the same time. Later there was a short course in ID in my town, I participated, and I loved it. I wanted to do more of it but there were no classes in my town. I didn't get an opportunity to take ID classes until last spring.
Why did you start Irish Dance?
By Celticjane Comments: 1019, member since Sat Jul 09, 2005
On Thu Jan 25, 2007 05:29 AM
My daughter started dancing bcause her Baton Twirling Corps stopped and decided that she wanted to try Irish Dancing.

That was 6.5 years ago and now she is totally hooked.
By Marketta Comments: 136, member since Fri Aug 25, 2006
On Thu Jan 25, 2007 05:45 AM
My ballet teacher had tried ID in somewhere and introduced some moves in our ballet class with music from the LOTD. I was hooked right away, but it took me for a couple of more years to find a studio, where they teached ID. So basically what bugs me is, that I could have started when I was twelve or thirteen, but because there weren't any schools in my country yet, I couldn't start until I was already fifteen or so. Oh well, you can't have everything...
By NoviceTeen Comments: 48, member since Thu Aug 10, 2006
On Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:52 AM
In grade school I saw a preformance for St. Patricks day, and I thought it looked really interesting. A few years later, my grandparents were telling me about my heritage for a school project and I found out that I'm Irish. I remembered the preformance and told my mum that I was interested in trying Irish dance. So she found a school near our house and signed me up for classes, and here I am, three years later, still dancing.
By nicolatamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 238, member since Sat Nov 13, 2004
On Thu Jan 25, 2007 09:27 PM
my cousin, sister, and i saw a performance by (now my) dance school, and they started. they loved it so much the next year, i started. (now like many others, i too am hooked.)
By Ealainmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 997, member since Fri May 19, 2006
On Fri Jan 26, 2007 03:33 AM
I saw a performance of some girls at primary school who go to the dance school I attend now. I was interested, but then forgot about it for a few years. And then I met elliebellie on the Net and got back into the swing of things. :)
By stacey__ Comments: 224, member since Sun Jan 07, 2007
On Fri Jan 26, 2007 02:40 PM
When I was in grade 2 I saw Riverdance on television and wanted to join. I joined a dance school and have been dancing since.
By R_dancer_7 Comments: 175, member since Tue May 03, 2005
On Fri Jan 26, 2007 03:29 PM
well mine is kinda a mix between several of those. My grandmother taped riverdance for me when it was pbs once and i loved it! A few weeks later a flyer went home with me from school advertiseing an irish dance school in the area. I came home handed the flyer to my parents and the rest is history. That was 7 years ago and when i started i never thought i would make it to be in the open championship level and on a team going to compete in worlds. Whenever i think about that first time i brought the flyer home i thank God for having somethign like this come into my life because irish dancing has blessed me in so many ways!

~R~
Page:
Page 1 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7

ReplySendWatch