Poll: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 2 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7
re: Why did you start Irish Dance?
By nycbuttafly Comments: 5, member since Tue Feb 26, 2008
On Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:27 AM
I started cause my dancing studio offers modern, Irish, Tap adn Hip hop and I had just given up ballet cause I didn't hav time to get there, and I wasn't really liking modern as much as ballet and my dance teacher suggested I try Irish dancing cause my sis was starting tap and she didn't want me doing it wit her....plus I saw river dance and was amazed!!! thery were awsome!!!!
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Thu Mar 20, 2008 03:06 PM
I've always like highland dancing, and Irish dancing and would watch with great interest at celtic festivals and ren fairs, etc.

I heard they were starting an Irish class for seven year olds where my dtr was taking ballet and tap. I signed her up, but mostly because I liked it! After watching a few of her classes, I was asking if they had an adult class, which they did! Been dancing ever since (so has she!). Moved into the competitive class after 3 years in non competitive class.
By TeenDancer16member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 424, member since Sun Jun 24, 2007
On Thu Mar 20, 2008 08:42 PM
I think I have the weirdest reason to why I started.... I read a lot, and when I was twelve or so I read the Girls of Many Lands series, and Kathleen was my favourite. She was an Irish dancer in the early 19th century and it just told her story of how she started and described the dance and such. Well, I got so into the story, I thought it sounded amazing and wanted to do it too. Of course my mom didin't think I was serious and it wasn't until two years later until she finally agreed to let me look into it, and a year after that until I found a place that taught it. Wow, what a waste of three years!

I think though the first time I actually saw Irish dance was at the mall when I was 6. My kindergarten teacher's grandaughter was performing and my parents stopped to chat wiht her and I just wathed the girls dance. And don't I wish that I had fallen in love with it then and there?! I could have been dancing for over ten years now!
By rainbow84uk Comments: 55, member since Sun Feb 15, 2004
On Mon Mar 24, 2008 02:00 PM
Hahaha I had to laugh at the B*Witched comment, because my reason isn't too far off that one! From the age of about 12 I was absolutely obsessed with the Irish boyband, Boyzone. So in love was I that all things Irish suddenly became hugely attractive, including Irish dancing! Needless to say, I've...erm...cooled off a lot since then, and had almost forgotten why I got into ID, but when I think back that was definitely the trigger.

And as for B*Witched: Two of Shane from Boyzone's sisters, head-to-toe indigo denim and sequins, cheesy pop and Irish dancing...obviously I loved them! I used to burst with excitement when they played C'est La Vie at discos because I could show off my Irish dancing in the instrumental bit! Hahaha what a loser!

These days I claim it's just all down to my...ahem...Irish heritage ;)
By Teasharkmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 502, member since Fri Oct 06, 2006
On Mon Mar 24, 2008 05:02 PM
Just because I felt like it. For the longest time I wanted to try dancing but never had the opportunity and was quite frankly scared to death of stepping foot in a studio. An opportunity came along and I grabbed it. Never looked back :) Irish Dance didn't come into the picture at first, and I'm still involved with other styles of Dancing as well.

Teashark
By bonny_wee_fairy Comments: 101, member since Sat Apr 01, 2006
On Mon Mar 24, 2008 06:21 PM
B*WITCHED! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA That's my reason. I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would have stuck with it and become obsessed, and an open champion. NEVER. B*witched is long gone, but I'm still dancing.

WOW.

The power of a pop band, eh?
By IrishHollymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2092, member since Wed Oct 24, 2007
On Mon Mar 24, 2008 08:16 PM
'Cause I wanted to. :)

I fell in love with the Irish Dance Folger's Comercial as a kid, but it took a couple decades before I realized that there were studios where they actually taught people how to do that! :)

I also needed some exercise (and got a heck of a lot more than I was expecting to! :)), and its part of my family's heritage (though until recently, I was the only person in my family that cared much about being Irish).
By Pantera_Bread Comments: 312, member since Thu Apr 13, 2006
On Tue Mar 25, 2008 07:43 AM
It's all kind of a blur to me now, but I think I saw it on a movie and I thought "Wow! That's really cool!" Then I started to wonder if I was irish at all so I looked into my heritage and turns out I'm like half irish (or so I estimate). I saw a poster up at school about dance classes starting and I asked mum to let me try ID and I loved it and I'm still dancing today :D
Then end.
By SamCartermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1258, member since Mon Feb 27, 2006
On Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:27 PM
Here is my long, drawn out story of how I came to Irish Dance.

I've been dancing since I was 2. First it was tap and ballet, then I added jazz, then clogging. Well, the first 3 fell by the wayside, but I continued with clogging into Jr. High and High School.

I saw Riverdance on PBS and was mesmerized! I wanted to try it! But I was busy with school and theatre and clogging and never got around to it.

So fast forward to my junior (?) year in High School. My friend and I were asked to do some clogging in a 'professional' video that was trying to capitalize on the whole Riverdance thing. We learned the dance on Wednesday and went in Saturday to tape it.

The video also featured tap dancers and Irish dancers. My friend and I stood back stage and watched the Irish dancers while they were filming. I remember their dresses with the embroidery and the white collars. I assume they were solos since they were different colors.

Anyway, I believe my friend (who is 5 years older than me) asked the irish instructor about lessons, but was told that they only take people under the age of 18. I thought that was very strange at the time. So while I was technically still young enough to take the classes, my friend wasn't, so I passed.

The following year the two of us went to the 'National Clogging Convention' and were delighted to see a 'Irish Dance' section offered, so we decided to give it a go. It was taught by a girl that did both clogging and Irish dance.

The following year I went away to college and pretty much stopped dancing all together.

It was my second year in college when I saw some Irish dancers at the Ren Faire and asked about lessons. They were strictly a performing group. I joined up and learned the basics.

The following semester I was flipping through the course catalogue looking for an extra 'easy' class to fill in the credits I needed to get my scholarship (I was already taking all the require courses, but needed 3 additional credits) and found 'Irish Dance'. I figured it would be an easy A!

Small world, the girl teaching the class was the same one that taught the Irish Dance section I took at the Clogging Convention a few years earlier. She danced with a local competitive school.

At this point I was itching to start competing. I had volunteered to run stages at a local Feis and was hooked! As much as I liked the performing group, they were all younger than me (mostly seniors in High School) and I didn't feel like I was learning exactly what I wanted (more figure choreography pieces and no solo stuff). So I decided to give the competitive school a shot after meeting the TC at one of the college classes.

Confused yet? Still reading? :)
By dancingfool93 Comments: 96, member since Thu Mar 20, 2008
On Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:15 PM
I started Irish dance because my sister and i saw the Lord of the Dance, and we both felt that we had to try it!! :D
~dancingfool93
By ohyeahhx Comments: 16, member since Sun May 11, 2008
On Sun May 11, 2008 06:09 PM
Every year my family would go to a St. patrick's day party and i'd watch the dancers. And My family is really irish to begin with. So it just kind of...happened.
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Sun May 11, 2008 06:26 PM
The short story is that I went to Ireland with my mom.

Feel free to skip the rest if you don't want the long story :)

I have always loved Celtic music. Some of my first tapes (dating myself!) that I bought with my own money were mixes of celtic music. Every time I heard it, I just wanted to dance.
Fast forward to end of highschool. My parents and I went to the Denver Brass Bagpipes and Brass concert and saw the Wick school perform, along with a highland school. I thought it looked cool, but wrote it off as something that only people from Ireland would do. It didn't help that a friend of mine was always making fun of Irish Dancers ("Why do Irish Dancers dance with their arms down? That's how wide the ditches are." Nice huh?")
Fast forward again to my sophmore year of college when I first saw Riverdance on tv. Really thought it was cool, didn't quite realize that it was the same thing that I'd seen back at Bagpipes and Brass. Still didn't have any real desire to learn, other than wanting to be able to dance to that really cool music.
One last fast forward. 7 years later my mom and I took a tour of Ireland. While there, I saw Simsa Tire perfor the Children of Lir in Tralee, and a local school doing their school recital in Dingle, where I volunteered to go up and learn a group dance. (No clue which one it was, long way sets facing each otherr, with a final pass through) I came back inspired and determined to learn. Remember, I still thought that only Irish people could learn, and that anyone else would be thought strange. I announced to the school secretary that I wanted to learn Irish Stepdance, and she replied "You have to go talk to Diane! She's starting lessons in September!" So I did, and so we did.
Here ends the long version. Wasn't the short version better? :)
By CelticAngel Comments: 1175, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Sun May 11, 2008 08:25 PM
I started dancing about a year before Riverdance screened on TV so it wasn't my starting point (but it sure was cool at the age of 8 or so to see people doing 'my' dancing on the TV!!)

I lived in a small mining town as a child and at the time school fetes and community events were really big and the town got really involved. Who would've guessed that in the far-north west outback of Australia there was a flourishing Irish Dancing school (which stemmed from the Irish Club who paid TC to come over from Ireland!).

{b}Long story short[/] I saw Irish Dancers at many a school fete and told my parents "I want to do that"...doubt they thought I'd still be going 12 and a half years later!

So here's to the fortunante circumstances that lead us all to where we are today :)

CelticAngel
oxo
By Cluichmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2903, member since Sat May 10, 2003
On Mon May 12, 2008 03:49 AM
Well, the official reason is that I'd been a Highland Dancer for 13 years, been to the Worlds, got my teachers certificate and all that and I *really* needed a new challenge.
But it has to do with seeing Riverdance and Lord of the Dance that this new challenge was going to be Irish Dance.
By tinydancer3825 Comments: 103, member since Mon Jun 11, 2007
On Mon May 12, 2008 08:05 AM
There are so many reasons, but I put "because I felt like it"...

First of all, I'm Italian-American, but my adoptive Grandma is Irish-American. My biological grandmothers both died when I was under a year old, so the grandma that I'm closest to is the one that I'm not even really related to! I've always loved her culture more than my own because it was different than my own. (I swear, if I have to eat spaghetti one more time...) And growing up listening to her stories of her father's family leaving Cork after the Famine and her dad singing to her in Gaelic and her memories of the rolling green hills when she went to visit her family all touched me more than my family's stories of...sauce recipes. I've always felt closer to her heritage than to my own.

Secondly, I saw an Irish dance performance when I was 7 and have always loved it! It's something I'd wanted to do but thought I had to be biologically Irish to do so.

Third, I started taking violin lessons as a teen. Some of my favorite violinists played in Riverdance and The Lord of the Dance, so I started watching the DVDs and listening to the CDs, and soon I remembered why I'd wanted to try Irish dance so much as a kid.

So I guess I fit into MANY categories, but the main reason I took ID is because I just felt like it!!!
By fhearthainnmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 171, member since Sun Jun 24, 2007
On Thu May 15, 2008 10:50 AM
Lord of the Dance was the first time I ever heard or saw of something called Irish dancing. Unfortunately there's no ID publicity at all around where I live and hardly any performances, so I was never exposed to the dance form in any way.
One day I was just randomly zapping through the TV channels when I hit Lord of the Dance, right when they dance in the long front line for the first time, about halfways through the show. It left me staring at the screen in amazement, mouth gaping wide open :D
After that I saw the show on TV a couple of times more and when I finally found a class that was about to start in my area I signed up at once.
By oooshinymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1876, member since Wed Dec 12, 2007
On Thu May 15, 2008 01:17 PM
Hm, well, it could best be decribed as a combination of a lot of those things :)

The first time I saw Irish dance was at a Brownie meeting when I was about 5-years old and these two older kids came & did a little performance and passed out fliers for their dance school. My mom asked me if I wanted to try dancing & I said no because even though I really wanted to my best friend told me that it was stupid. Plus I was a tomboy & didn't want anyone thinking I was a girly-girl ;)

Fast forward a few years when I was around 11-years old to when B*Witched came out - I guess they accounted for a lot of people's interest in ID! My neighbor & I saw them on the Disney channel and immediately tried to choreograph our own Irish dance routine to "C'est La Vie." We lived and breatehd for Irish music and dance... or at least what we thought was Irish dance! It was kind of funny though because she's Cuban/Spanish and was more into it than I was, and I'm over 1/4 Irish!

2 years later, our love for B*Witched had waned as well as our interest in Irish dance. We were about to enter high school and had become waaaay too sophisticated to "go out and play" but our mom's wanted us out of the house. My neighbor's mom found an ad for an Irish dance school in the paper or at the library or something so my neighbor asked me if I wanted to go and I said sure... didn't have anything better to do!

We took the Adult Into. course that the TC offered (even though I was 13 and she was 14 -- we thought we were too old) because we didn't want to be competitive and we had a blast! She dropped out after that 1st year but now, almost 7 years later I'm still dancing with the same school and loving it! Thank you, B*Witched!

Oh, and a couple weeks after we started my mom was like "So do you remember your teacher?" and I didn't understand what she was talking about, but apparently my current TC and her brother had been the two dancers at the Brownie meeting those many years before! Coincidence? I think not... ;)

These are fun! I love seeing how other people got involved with ID. Such great stories :D
By Mara_ Comments: 41, member since Thu Jun 05, 2008
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:29 AM
Edited by Mara_ (197245) on 2008-06-07 10:30:30
I am a huge The Corrs fan and I always loved their Irish sound so I started looking up on the internet for some Irish dancing related stuff (this was about 5 years ago) but I couldn't find much by then. There are so few ways to get in touch with the Irish culture around here that I could only hope that when I'll move away for college I'll find a school or club that would teach ID in the city. So after a ~5 years' wait, I finally found out about this group that got together twice a week to work on ID and joined it. We also have a workshop every 1 1/2 months with a TCRG. Now, by coincidence, one of our dance colleagues went to Ireland and bought shoes for all of us and I am now the owner of a Corr's softshoes.

So this is my happy ID story. :)
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3199, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 04:53 PM
The last 2 years I was getting really burned out with ballet and such; which is kind of pathetic since I'm not professional or anything. The weight issue was a big thing as well, the art just perpetuated my self hatred. I have been out of real classes for about 2 years, but still did recreational events such as our dance coalition at my old college. I had been watching the Irish board on DDN and saw how close everyone was and there was not a much as much competition it seemed. By competition I mean like who is the thin girl that got in the front row and such. After drifting about the Irish board for about 3 months and talking to an amazing DDN member (RinceMom2). She helped me get in touch with a studio in the town I was attending college. I tried one class and decided it was super awesome and so different than ballet. I decided to take class, then when I had to take the leave I was able to keep dancing 30 minutes away from home. I love it. It is really hard to get my muscle memory from ballet to transfer to Irish. I get really confused sometimes, especially in hard shoe. I went to a feis about a month ago and decided I want to keep doing this. I plan on trying to undo my mom as a balletmommy to a MAID ahaha. I try to practice at home to try my hardest to improve. I love softshoe but it is sometimes really hard for me because I get confused with ballet steps because I don't really have the muscles memorizing the basic steps. So yay!
By Irish_Danzer_NZmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 764, member since Tue May 16, 2006
On Sat Jun 07, 2008 07:12 PM
To be honest, my dad pushed me into it.
I was Year6 at school and I had just quit Piano lessons because my parents pushed me to do that to and I absolutely hated it!
My dance school had put an advertisement in my school newsletter and dad saw it so he gave them a ring and signed me up. I was not impressed to say the least. I moaned and moaned and moaned to mum to let me quit (it was the end of the year and I would be starting at the start of the next dance year.) Mum said I should just try it for a term then see what I thought after that. As there was no alternative I agreed. After coming home from my first lesson I was absolutely beaming. I was 11 then, i'm 15 now and still love it with a passion. I think being one of the late ones to start has really given me a drive to work harder because so many people have been dancing longer. Hah I think pushing me into dance was one of the worst things dad couldve done. He now nevers hears the end of: "Dad I need a new wig, Dad I need new pumps etc." The woes of being a dance parent. :P
By jiggymommamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1221, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:51 AM
My dd was doing ballet and not particularly good at it. She saw a couple of sisters doing an Irish dance at an assembly at her elementary school and said, "I have to do that". We weren't able to get her in to her Irish dance school until the following fall- it was almost a year before she could start, but throughout that time, she remained eager to do it. Once she started, that was it- she just absolutely loved it and just finished her seventh year.
By rockinreeler Comments: 62, member since Tue Mar 30, 2004
On Thu Jun 19, 2008 05:20 PM
To be perfectly honest, I started when I was six pretty much because my mom thought it would be neat and dragged me to a class. Looking back, had I been older I probably would have started because it was my heritage. Little did I know at the time what a big impact Irish Dance would have on my life!!!! I mean 7 years later and at the championship level, I can't imagine my life without it!!! Thank you, mom!!!!!!

:)
On Thu Jun 19, 2008 05:21 PM
To be perfectly honest, I started when I was six pretty much because my mom thought it would be neat and dragged me to a class. Looking back, had I been older I probably would have started because it was my heritage. Little did I know at the time what a big impact Irish Dance would have on my life!!!! I mean 7 years later and at the championship level, I can't imagine my life without it!!! Thank you, mom!!!!!!

:)
On Thu Jun 19, 2008 05:25 PM
Haha!! I'm really sorry for the double post!! :]
By ailise748 Comments: 70, member since Mon Apr 28, 2008
On Fri Jul 04, 2008 03:28 PM
Really, I had a lot of reasons why I started Irish dancing. One was that I'm part Irish and I absolutely love Ireland.
Also, a couple years ago I was a tap dancer for a year, but then I had to quit because the class started to conflict with my gymnastics class. I went on the internet and when I was looking for a new studio, I found my Irish studio =).
Then I went to see my future Irish studio dance at a Christmas performance and they were great. I didn't actually get to start lessons for about a year because I broke my foot in gymnastics =(.
But, now I've been dancing for 9 months and I absolutely love it!!!
Page:
Page 2 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7

ReplySendWatch