Poll: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 4 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7
re: Why did you start Irish Dance?
By Mysteriamoon Comments: 28, member since Sun Aug 10, 2008
On Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:18 AM
My second-grade class went to see a children's world music show at the local theatre. I was just a little bored of hearing the gamelan and the zither player (I get it all at home from my ethnomusicologist mother), but then the fiddle music started, and Irish dancers came onstage. I had never even heard of Irish dance before, and right then I decided I wanted to learn to dance like that.

Of course, after the show, the kids in my class were saying that the Irish dancers were silly with the straight arms, and that anyone could jump like that. If only I could show them now... ; )
By SewingBeetle Comments: 42, member since Mon May 11, 2009
On Tue May 12, 2009 05:24 PM
Our oldest daughter was only 4 and was at a ceili when she saw Irish dancing for the first time. We were all hooked from that point, 18 years ago!!!
By Reelathlete Comments: 25, member since Thu May 21, 2009
On Thu May 28, 2009 10:06 PM
My little sister did it for like 4 months and I went and sat in on one of her classes and decided that I would like to try it well almost one year later my sister and I are still going at it! I love it!
By irishdancedad Comments: 37, member since Wed Jun 24, 2009
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:34 AM
My girls got started after seeing Scottish dancers at a Renaissance Fair. They started with a Scottish dance club that disbanded after a few months and then I found a local Irish dance school where they have been for almost 4 years now
By ScullyPAmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 736, member since Fri Jun 27, 2008
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 02:04 PM
My heritage, and I've always loved traditional irish music -- it has always made me want to move. Now, I can, and correctly. (somewhat)
By Kdancer552 Comments: 37, member since Sat Jun 14, 2008
On Wed Jul 15, 2009 08:38 AM
I was dancing in the regular dance and my teacher told me that b/c I was being kicked off the team b/c I was getting to old. Also I was getting parts in our ballets taken away from me becasue I was over 18 and was not ballet thin and I was just a normal 130 lb girl. So needless to say I had some extra time on my hands and so I wanted to try something new and now I am addicted to it. I love the family atmosphere at the studio and the acceptance of all the dancers no matter what age, size, gender.
By ghilliegirl14 Comments: 71, member since Wed Aug 06, 2008
On Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:32 AM
For me it was a bunch of reasons...my grandmother gave me the Riverdance tape when I was about 4 and I always loved to watch it and prance around the house, acting like I knew the steps. Also, my three cousins were very serious irish dancers--when I was little I used to go to all their feiseanna and recitals. Plus I was and still am obsessed with my Irish heritage. =)
By dancer_andrea Comments: 184, member since Sun Aug 06, 2006
On Sun Jul 19, 2009 02:00 PM
I saw LOTD in Prague and fell in love with it! So went at a camp for a week - was pretty exhausted after that and couldn´t walk for about 2 months haha
By alexa119310member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 26, member since Wed Jul 01, 2009
On Tue Jul 21, 2009 09:46 AM
I'd often see irish dancers at festivals and stuff and always thought it would be so cool to know how to dance like that, but never figured i'd get the chance to learn. then my cousin started taking classes at her community center, so when i came up to visit i basically begged her to show me what she had learned. she taught me a simple light jig and later a basic reel. I thought it was the best thing ever, and made her constantly show me new steps. once back at my home, i researched all the dance schools in my area and badgered my parents about how great it was, why they should sign me up for lessons, etc, until they finally did! best thing thats ever happened to me.
By EliBeth Comments: 93, member since Sat Aug 08, 2009
On Fri Aug 14, 2009 05:17 AM
I am 3/4 irish and wanted a link back I also get to travel to Ireland once a year because I dance :)
By celticknot Comments: 24, member since Thu Jul 16, 2009
On Fri Aug 14, 2009 08:48 AM
My library had a local irish dance school come in and do a show, and my friend and I were hooked!
By LadybugDancer Comments: 161, member since Thu Jul 09, 2009
On Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:23 AM
I had always wanted to do it since I was a small child... I think I remember seeing performances at our local Irish Festival... but money was never available - now that I have finished college, I have been able to start and am loving every minute of it! Now I am trying to make up for lost time ;)
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1455, member since Fri Aug 28, 2009
On Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:20 AM
I saw my school performing and thought it was really cool!
By brea247 Comments: 43, member since Fri Sep 25, 2009
On Thu Oct 15, 2009 06:25 PM
because my friend became a world champion last year. number 1 in the world
By ciara101 Comments: 39, member since Tue Oct 06, 2009
On Thu Oct 29, 2009 03:40 PM
I saw Riverdance!
By IrishDance_chick Comments: 147, member since Sun Nov 07, 2004
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 02:30 PM
I was first a ballet dancer at my studio. One day my mom was looking over the dance schedule and saw Irish Dance class. She asked if i wanted to join and I said yes. Now 7 years later i am the top dancer at my school.
By Aodhan Comments: 35, member since Tue Nov 24, 2009
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 03:16 PM
I had a friend that was starting a performance group for Renaissance Faires. I learned basic soft and hardshoe performance pieces. After a couple years of that, I started regular lessons, and competed off and on for a few years, moving up to the Novice/PW level in most of my dances in the Adult category. I'm "starting over" with the intention of competing in the &Overs, as I would really like to dance in an Oireachtas.

John
By catwomen2050 Comments: 21, member since Wed Nov 09, 2005
On Wed Nov 25, 2009 05:49 PM
My dd started dancing when she saw a show annd my younger daughter started because of her
By iheartmysetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1254, member since Fri Oct 30, 2009
On Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:39 PM
I voted other because when I was like 3 my mom and I went to a mother daughter tea at my church and the entertainment was ID. So I ended up going in 1st grade and have been doing it ever since.
By slip_jig_chick Comments: 702, member since Sun Oct 04, 2009
On Fri Dec 04, 2009 04:37 PM
My aunt and cousin did it, and I thought it was the most entertaining thing in the world (I was 5 ok!) and wanted to start. There are 3 schools in Houston, and we went to their's brother's school. Then my mom started. 5 years for me, close to 6. :D I LOVE IT!
By ReelJigmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 731, member since Wed Jan 30, 2008
On Fri Dec 04, 2009 04:41 PM
I went to the international festival in Houston when I was about 5, I thought it looked amazing and wanted to start right away. Now four years later im the one going to that same dance school doing the performances-I dont know what I would do without ID
By njmom Comments: 38, member since Mon Jun 16, 2008
On Sun Jan 03, 2010 09:35 PM
My daughter wanted to do Irish dance after seeing it at a Greek festival! Very cultural!
By designerdancer Comments: 52, member since Wed Jan 06, 2010
On Wed Jan 20, 2010 08:56 AM
I was four when I started. My neighbor was talking to my mom about it, and decided that I might like it and start so without knowing what was really going on they brought me to class, and I was hooked after the first day.
I still to this day dance with the same school, with the same teacher, and with that teacher have gone from beginner to champs. On my 16th year of dancing with no plans of stopping yet :D
By JennyJ Comments: 27, member since Thu Jan 14, 2010
On Fri Jan 22, 2010 01:26 AM
My daughter started ID when she was 6 as a result of toooo much Wiggles videos when she was about 4. There was a small segment with a group of dancers in pretty dresses. Well I don't think it was so much the dancing but the dresses that she wanted. Now She has gone the other way and doesn't particularly like wearing the dresses!!
It took me about 2 years to actually get around to finding a school and I think the school found me rather than the other way around.
By RinceorNosretep Comments: 1027, member since Fri Oct 23, 2009
On Fri Jan 22, 2010 06:52 AM
My story is kind of strange...but growing up I had always wanted to learn how to dance. When I was really young I didn't care what kind of dancing it was (at that age I didn't really realise there WERE different kinds), but my parents couldn't afford to put me in classes (even though I had piano lessons - weird). When I got older, I assessed the different types of dance and none of them really spoke to me. By that time I was getting rather obsessed with anything Irish/celtic, and figured they had their own type of dance so that's what I wanted to do. I didn't even know what it was called! Lol. I think I was about ten or so at that point. Then I got into Junior High/High School, heard that it was 'riverdancing', so that's what I wanted to do. I hadn't even seen what it looked like or anything, although somehow I had a pretty good idea, don't know how. Then finally I borrowed the Riverdance tape from a co-worker during High School and got to actually see it, became even more passionate and desparate to learn how. I finally got to start lessons the summer after I graduated, paid with my own money and everything. =)
And now, I'm hoping to re-start the first week in February, that's only twoish weeks away! Hurrah! Then I can start competing finally. I'm so excited!!

-RinceorNosretep
Page:
Page 4 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7

ReplySendWatch