Poll: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 5 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7
re: Why did you start Irish Dance?
By Grainneog Comments: 49, member since Sun Jul 12, 2009
On Fri Jan 22, 2010 07:04 AM
The usual story: saw Riverdance on tv and fell for it. It did take a couple of years before I actually could start dancing, but I remember actively dreaming about it :) I had just graduated from high school and was still living at home (gap year and all that jazz) and basically had very little to do. So, when I saw that add in the local paper about Irish dance classes in the neighbouring teeny tiny hamlet, some 60km away from my own little village, I seized the chance. Also, by then I had got my driving license and was able to drive there myself.
Never regretted the decision :)
By Queen1 Comments: 54, member since Tue Apr 18, 2006
On Fri Jan 22, 2010 03:03 PM
My best friends started dancing and I just used to go along to watch. One day I decided that I would give it go and I'm still going 16 years later.
By just_jazzin Comments: 798, member since Wed Oct 24, 2001
On Mon Jan 25, 2010 06:54 PM
My reasons:
1. I have Irish roots.
2.I always wanted to try it.
3. Exercise.
4. I love a challenge!
5. I'm having a mid life crisis!!!
By idmom1992 Comments: 142, member since Sun Jun 22, 2008
On Wed Jan 27, 2010 08:12 AM
It was a combination of things for dd - she tried gymnastics & by the second year hated it. She did group figure skating lessons and was just 'meh' about it. She really wanted to try dance & she has always been very energetic & bubbly - there was no way I was going to sic her on a ballet teacher. I just happened to be at work when someone stopped in and I got chatting with them and found out they were on their way to irish dance lessons 5 minutes from my house. It was right around the time when Riverdance was on TV, so I asked for contact info & the rest is history!
By dancinghabebi Comments: 49, member since Tue Mar 18, 2008
On Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:43 AM
Riverdance definitely peaked my interest, though it has taken forever for that interest to result in my taking a class! I also love how rhythmic and energetic the music in ID is. That satisfies my musician side!
By ReelRAIDGal Comments: 82, member since Sun Jan 17, 2010
On Sat Feb 13, 2010 08:40 PM
You're all going to laugh when you hear this! Most kids say: I saw it on the Wiggles, my sister/brother did it, I saw a show, etc. But my mum started me when I was little, because she and the doctors thought I had a growth deformity; because I was really tall for my age. It turned out I didn't have a growth deformity, I was just going to be tall, when I grew up. I'd like to say it was because I saw it on the Wiggles, but I can't. So I say that, and everyone gets a really good laugh.
By DreamWithUrFeet Comments: 44, member since Fri Dec 18, 2009
On Sun Feb 14, 2010 09:56 AM
It was pretty random for me. My friends grandmother was going to look at a class for my friend and my mom and I tagged along. So I watched the class and danced for the last 10 minutes and fell in love. 12 years later I'm still here (=
By irshdncr12659 Comments: 157, member since Fri Nov 06, 2009
On Sun Feb 14, 2010 01:46 PM
Well, my parents had seen videos of Riverdance and had always thought it was cool. I had done ballet when I was younger and when my mom saw an add for a free month of Irish Dance she signed me up. I loved it from the very beginning and haven't stopped!
By irishstepper26 Comments: 52, member since Sat Jan 23, 2010
On Wed Feb 17, 2010 07:48 PM
well when i was three years old i saw an irish dance school performing on my town common and i got up and started dancing. A man who worked for the town newspaper even took my pic and put it in the newspaper as "future irish dancer" =]
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Sat Mar 20, 2010 02:13 PM
my nan always used to play irish music and make us dance along, and then i saw a dance class across the road from me (dont know how i missed it for so long!) and some friends and i joined. the 3 of us all danced together until we fell out as one thought i wasnt as good as her when we got joint 2nd in the trophy reeel! anyways i digress, its part of my heritage, but its also something i enjoyed, i needed the exercise to burn off the excitement as a kid, and recently i got divorced from an abusive husband, moved back in with my parents and wanted to build my self confidence, do something i enjoy and lose weight! so ..thats me anyway!
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2118, member since Sun Sep 02, 2007
On Sat Mar 20, 2010 07:10 PM
im not sure if seeing the folger's coffee commercial counted as seeing an ID show, so i put other... plus my moms friend dabbled in a lot of the ceili stuff, so i always wanted to join :)
By BailaBaila90member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 116, member since Wed Nov 21, 2007
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:51 PM
For me, I grew up in the "Lord of the Dance" generation, and when I first saw it back in 1996 I fell in love with it! Like, literally love at first sight. lol. I know, boring story...but that's what got me. Not only that, but I am also Irish and have a great-grandfather that was from Ireland. =) Just keeping with my Irish roots.
By ReallyReel Comments: 32, member since Tue Mar 02, 2010
On Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:44 AM
I'll admitt too I got caught up in all of the hype of Riverdance and Lord of the Dance. :)
By aranagazoo Comments: 71, member since Sat Jun 12, 2010
On Wed Jun 16, 2010 05:42 AM
Riverdance, in kind of a reverse sort of way...my ballet teacher had seen it and wanted us to do a Riverdance-Ballet fusion recital, and it was so much fun that my friend and I decided to go see Riverdance ourselves when it came to our city live the next year and then a girl from my church told me a new teacher was coming to our town to start giving lessons! Needless to say, we were psyched
By dancer4life77 Comments: 229, member since Wed Jul 14, 2010
On Thu Jul 29, 2010 06:55 PM
I wanted to take ballet for as long as I could remember, so as soon as I was old enough my mom found a studio for me. When I was six Karl Drake (Drake School of Irish dance in the Southern Region USA) came to my ballet studio and offered a few introductory Irish dance classes. I think he intended to start a new location there, but it didn't happen. Anyway, after he left I wanted to continue Irish dancing because I had really enjoyed it, so my friend and I joined a studio about 30 minutes away and we haven't stopped dancing since!
By bradiebabie Comments: 68, member since Thu May 06, 2010
On Thu Aug 05, 2010 04:02 PM
I wish there was an "all of the above" category. Haha. I am very irish by heritage and my family is involved in local heritage societies and all that. Some of my aunts/2nd cousins danced as kids and still take adult classes now. But what really got me started was when my parents brought home a video after seeing riverdance and my little sister watched it. She wanted to take lessons and, being the older sister, I couldn't let her learn how to do something I didn't know how to do. So I joined up and got hooked.
so it was sort of a heritage/riverdance/family member sort of thing. lol.
By bradiebabie Comments: 68, member since Thu May 06, 2010
On Thu Aug 05, 2010 04:04 PM
gra_na_rince_gal wrote:

one word.

B*WITCHED

YES! c'est la vie! oh middle school. lol. my irish dancer friend and I sang that song and danced to it at karaoke once recently and brought down the house. :)
By bigmamaro Comments: 156, member since Sat Jun 20, 2009
On Thu Aug 05, 2010 07:08 PM
I saw it at our local Irish Festival and was hooked.
By reeldancer123 Comments: 663, member since Sun Mar 28, 2010
On Thu Aug 05, 2010 07:37 PM
when I was six, I saw some dancers performing at a local st. pats festival. apparently I went and started 'dancing' with them, and mom couldnt get me off the stage.

when we moved, I saw a girl with a solo dress at my school, asked her where she danced and started. :]
By emmiei Comments: 305, member since Sat Aug 16, 2008
On Fri Aug 06, 2010 01:32 AM
My mum is straight from Ireland & just... Put me in classes when I was 4 or 5!
By reelmusicalgirl Comments: 17, member since Thu Jun 17, 2010
On Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:59 PM
I started dancing because my younger sister was dancing. My sister has "retired" now so it is just me and my brothers left to carry on the dancing in our family.
By FairyFay Comments: 20, member since Fri Aug 06, 2010
On Fri Aug 06, 2010 03:00 PM
I always loved dancing. When I was 4, I learned that a ballerina is a real job, and I wanted to be a professional dancer. At age of 5, I started to take a ballet classes. I wanted even to go to dance conservatory, but my mum said no...
And I always loved Ireland as a country and its culture, especially the music... And when I saw the LOTD show I said it's pretty cool... Two years ago I was on the show when they were in my city and I realized it's that I want to do. So in October 2009 I finally started to take up classes. Sadly I'm not at any dance school yet- but I'm really into it and practising steps at home... So that is the dance history of mine
By leaps4lifemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 182, member since Thu Aug 12, 2010
On Thu Aug 12, 2010 05:21 PM
My school had a "bring a friend to dance" week and my Best friend took me and now i'm hooked! :)
By celticprincessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Thu Aug 26, 2010
On Wed Sep 15, 2010 08:28 PM
I started ballet and tap when I was 6, but I didn't like them, so I stopped. A year later, my BFF took me to a irish dance demo at her school, and I thought it was really cool. We signed up for beginner classes together, and I've been a ID girl ever since! (My BFF ended up quiting ID after a few weeks:[ )
By Hornpipe21 Comments: 52, member since Wed Feb 10, 2010
On Fri Oct 01, 2010 08:05 PM
My friend irish dances and I though it sounded pretty cool so i tried it and was hooked.
Page:
Page 5 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7

ReplySendWatch