Poll: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 6 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7
re: Why did you start Irish Dance?
By McConomy_Fan Comments: 76, member since Sat Jul 31, 2010
On Sat Oct 02, 2010 08:15 PM
Saw a family friend dance and next thing I knew I was begging for mom to sign me up!
By ridrpac Comments: 120, member since Mon Jun 14, 2010
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 02:17 PM
I had been taking ballet since 3 years old in japan and moved to the us when I was 5. I continued and when I was 7 or 8 my mom started looking for a different kind of dance, or a new dance school ( I don't remember which). She found my dance school which actually didn't have a studio and rented part of the church in town for classes, and they also had classes after school at a catholic school less than 2 minutes by car from my elementary school ( it was a beginner class and the girls in that class went to the catholic school) and my mom brought me there after school one day in my jeans, sweatshirt, and no ghillies just to see how the class would be. I remember my teacher telling us to one two three along the lines of the gym floor =] I got switched to a class in the church and that was the start of my amazing Irish dance career!

Last year my teacher decided to put our school into NAIDF and we went to our first feis in October 2009. I will be going to the same feis This year too, in a week!!
By CelticPiksymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 128, member since Sat Aug 21, 2010
On Sun Oct 03, 2010 02:52 PM
Riverdance! lol My grandad bought The New Show on video when I was about 3 and I tried to copy it so they got me classes! they didnt think I'd pick it up but i did really well :)
By CelticFeet392 Comments: 189, member since Thu Aug 12, 2010
On Mon Oct 04, 2010 09:14 AM
I started because of my heritage. My dad is 100% Irish and that would make me 50% plus, the Irish I get from my mom's side...that would make me somewhere around 75% Irish.

I was on a waitlist for four years! By the time I got in, I was 12 and they almost didn't take me because everyone else who was starting was like 9 years old. But I said I wanted to start anyways, and now two years later I'm in a class with people my own age and I've made it to Novice! :D
By IrishDancer1495 Comments: 42, member since Sat Apr 03, 2010
On Mon Oct 11, 2010 06:23 PM
Well, to start with I'm 20% Irish. So knowing that I was at least part Irish helped. And I'd always wanted to take a class but never had the chance. So when I was in sixth grade, my dance school where I was taking jazz classes (ew) offered Irish. And my dancing fate just unfolded from there. Now I'm in eighth grade, progressing quickly, and planning on Worlds in a few years.
By irishdancemum1 Comments: 25, member since Sat Oct 16, 2010
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 02:20 PM
My cousin danced so my mum thought she would send me and my sister, so glad that she did, i love it!!
By roz275member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 187, member since Thu Oct 14, 2010
On Mon Oct 18, 2010 02:50 PM
Well, sort of part of my heitage. My family is part Irish and my mom found a place and we started dancing!
By Neilsmum Comments: 95, member since Thu Oct 14, 2010
On Tue Oct 19, 2010 08:05 AM
For the music! It makes your feet just want to move.
By ilanakalma Comments: 16, member since Mon Feb 08, 2010
On Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:37 AM
I met Riverdance at 1997. Since then I wanted to do Irish Dance...
But there wasn't in my city. I just started to dance a year and a half ago, ate the age of 31.
By ReelDancer25member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 39, member since Sat Jan 29, 2011
On Thu Apr 14, 2011 01:33 AM
I danced for a couple of years when I was younger then had to give it up, but then I reached my teens and was able to get myself to classes (just a walk down the hill) so my mum let me take it up again :)
By irishdancer642 Comments: 197, member since Sun Feb 06, 2011
On Thu Apr 14, 2011 05:30 AM
My friend took lessons and at recess time she would teach me steps out on the playground (we were 7). Finally, when I was 9 we enrolled in the school and I've been taking ever since-- I'm now 12 (It's funny though because I'm in prelim and have accomplished so much with my dancing and my friend that would teach me quit)
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Thu Apr 14, 2011 05:50 AM
I just read through every single page of this waiting for my answer to crop up and it didn't - I wonder how I missed this? B*Witched was my favourite reason. Hey boy, sitting in your tree...

I digress. I went to a Catholic secondary school in a city with a massive Irish population. Over half the staff and students were Irish - in fact I didn't have a single RE teacher that wasn't literally from Ireland. Anyway when I was in year 7, our assemblies fell on a Tuesday, as did St Patrick's Day. The head of year said that we would have some dancers on stage to celebrate. Wouldn't you know, there were kids at my school who came from Doherty, McCarron, Kenny, all the big names. They were World recallers, regional champs, top-3 nationals placers. They did a few numbers and I decided I was going to try it.

I had seen Riverdance prior to this but it must have been when it first came out as I remember NOTHING about it except my nan cooing over Flatley and saying "oooh, isn't he marvellous". I do however remember thinking that the kids on stage that day didn't have "real" heavies on - obviously they did but I thought heavies were big boots with heels. Bless me.

Despite the fact that my form tutor was the co-ordinator of the school's Friday Night Dance club, which included Irish, I didn't actually join until May, so two months later. I still remember the first bit of the routine we learned which is amazing to me as I just picked it up and it's kinda hard! It was to the light shoe bit of LOTD and went step and step and double-hop down, point and back and jump and jump (repeat) skip 123 223 turn 23 rock 23...nuts in hindsight when I think of beginner reels.

I later found out that my dad's cousin used to dance when she was younger. My paternal grandfather lived in Belfast until he was 7 - he was the youngest son and I think his older brother was about 21 by the time they came to Birmingham. The brother married a lady with Scottish roots who would often get drunk and get her swords out, and their daughter (dad's cousin) took up Irish dancing for a while. My sister half-heartedly came with me for a few years but it didn't stick with her like it has with me.
By IrishDancer320 Comments: 112, member since Sun Aug 08, 2010
On Sat Apr 23, 2011 03:40 PM
Well my friends Mom was looking for Irish Dance Classes in the City to try something new and what do you know their was Irish Dance Classes not to far from where I lived.
I tried it of course not knowing if I was going to like it or not but it was a "FREE" Trial Class so why not...
And I fell in LOVE.
Not knowing any type of Dance Form before just a few Classes of Gymnastics and Karate I knew this is what I wanted to do from now on.
Now I am a Novice/Prizewinner(mostly Prizewinner) Dancer who has been dancing for THREE years and is looking forward to Prelim by the end of the year.
Now I can't wait for my 1st Oireachtas.
I will never stop ID unless I actually have too..
By mcardles Comments: 255, member since Thu Dec 02, 2010
On Mon Apr 25, 2011 05:48 PM
One of my mom's best friends in college was a champion dancer who placed 3rd in worlds. My mom saw her dance at some point, and when thinking of activities to sign me up for when i was little, she remembered irish dance.
By DanceJuli Comments: 25, member since Fri Sep 05, 2008
On Tue Apr 26, 2011 05:44 AM
my friend did it and when I visted her (lives 4h away), she had lessons - so I had to go with her .... and after that I searched for a school in my city
By irishismylifemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 410, member since Sun Jul 11, 2010
On Tue Apr 26, 2011 08:51 AM
I used to do Celtic and one of my class mates used to do Irish and recommended it
By reelgirl123 Comments: 45, member since Sat Jul 02, 2011
On Tue Jul 19, 2011 01:12 PM
I started because there were a number of girls at my school who told me about how much fun they were having at their dance classes! I was also very interested in finding out more about my irish roots! My parents took me to see Riverdance, and I was hooked! Been dancing ever since!
By Irish4life Comments: 227, member since Wed Sep 21, 2011
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:44 AM
When I was back home in Ireland last April, my two little girl cousins started doing light jig on The hardwood floor in the restaurant we were at, and they were good so I decided I wouldn't let my 5 and 9 year old cousins be better than me at Irish, so when I went back to Canada, I signed up for classes last month and am loving every minute! :)
By Meggy37 Comments: 75, member since Wed Aug 03, 2011
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 03:26 PM
when I was 6, I saw an ID performance at my chruches St. Patty's Day party, and I remember turning to look at my mom and saying, "I want to do that!" a year later i started classes!! love it sooo much!!
By slipjiggerkenzie Comments: 80, member since Sun Sep 25, 2011
On Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:35 AM
Well, I do it because I'm Irish on both sides of my family, and because when I was little I was a ballet dancer, but then my mom found a dance school online and asked me if i wanted to try it. I said ye and gave up ballet. I've been doing it ever since!
By im_a_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 290, member since Tue Feb 10, 2009
On Mon Nov 28, 2011 01:59 PM
I voted other because I am also a highland dancer and my teacher left and I had no place to go dance. I wasnt into ballet or any of that type but I loved to dance SO I heard of an irish dance school so I tired, I love, and I live!!!!
By iRockUrPoodleSoxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 294, member since Sat May 28, 2011
On Mon Nov 28, 2011 06:02 PM
My best friend did dance at a school that had all types of dance (ballet, tap, jazz, etc..) But they also had Irish dance, which she did. I went to see her perform when I was about 8, and I was completely hooked. I'm almost all Irish, but no one in my family has ever mentioned it.. Only after I started dancing did I hear the about the Riverdance :D
By QueenOf_TheDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 617, member since Thu May 12, 2011
On Mon Nov 28, 2011 06:21 PM
Funny, I just asked my mom why she ever had the idea to let me try irish.

She said back in the day she was watching the Rosie O'Donnell show and Rosie had Michael Flatley and his dancers do a Lord of the Dance act. After that she always said she wanted her children to do that.
She told one of our good friends how cool Irish Dance was and blah blah blah. Only a little while after that, she had her girls in dance. My mom asked me if I wanted to Irish dance. I said yes. I was in kindergarten then, and I honsestly didn't care what I did. My older sister wanted no absolutely part in this sport.
A about a year or so after that my sister started watching my classes and decided that she wanted part in the fun. Actually the real reason was she now admits is that she thought it seemed really fun to hop around a nice dance studio. Wow. Well after she started classses she realized she liked irish dance and that it was not in fact pointlessly hopping around on a weird floor in a mirrored room.
By AnRinceoirRuamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 175, member since Mon Dec 20, 2010
On Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:06 PM
Although I've always been very interested in my Irish heritage and I did enjoy watching Riverdance as a little girl, I didn't become seriously interested in Irish dance until a little over a year ago. Can't remember what specifically sparked my interest, but I've been obsessed ever since! Got my first pair of ghillies last Christmas and I've been trying to learn the basics through instructional videos and watching the likes of Ciara Sexton online. Can't wait till I'm home from college and can join the school near here!
By Mluvsirishdance1 Comments: 36, member since Sun Jan 01, 2012
On Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:51 PM
Someone in my family dances. I always thought it was cool and when I was younger I wanted to do it. When I got to 11, I didn't wanna do it, but my mom kinda made me an said if I didn't like it, I could quit.
Page:
Page 6 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7

ReplySendWatch