Poll: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 7 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7
re: Why did you start Irish Dance?
By Sahara1 Comments: 27, member since Fri Sep 16, 2011
On Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:02 PM
My daughter wanted to take dance classes and the ballet classes by us were too expensive. Irish Dance lessons were so cheap--little did we know there were so many other expenses involved once she got hooked. Why didn't we choose ballet?:) Just joking--we love that she's so passionate about something.
By KrystalGhilliemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 710, member since Sat Jun 26, 2004
On Tue Feb 07, 2012 06:12 PM
Other- I started because I love the music. Not all the dance music we dance too. Hahah that can get kinda tedious. I love the tunes and felt this surge of energy when I heard them and always wanted to learn how to express that energy "correctly" :)
By dancingthrulife1 Comments: 428, member since Mon Jan 14, 2008
On Tue Feb 07, 2012 06:34 PM
I used to watch Feet of Flames every single time I went to my grandparents house from when I was 3 to 5. My mom brought me to my first class without telling me what it was, but I loved it from the first day!
By twinkletoes2021 Comments: 107, member since Sun Mar 18, 2012
On Tue Mar 20, 2012 05:50 PM
i was standing a certain way at a family function and my Aunt's best friend (whose daughter is dancing) came over and told my mom that she HAD to put me in ID. So here i am a 13yearold beginnier ID!!
By banana17 Comments: 6, member since Tue Jan 03, 2012
On Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:39 AM
I started dancing in junior infants. I was four at the time and there were classes after school in the hall where a qualified TC came in and thought classes after school. I guess I just tried everything at the time. I also live in Ireland and my Mam and all her family danced as kids :) That was 12 years ago now so I don't really remember the main reason I started Irish dancing but I do know that I love it and I have never looked back since I started!! I am soooo glad I started cause some of my best friends are dancers :) and I love Irish dancing it's sooo much fun :D
By kefling Comments: 205, member since Sun Mar 01, 2009
On Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:17 PM
It's a long story, but...

My sister married an Irishman, so wedding was in Ireland (score!). The night before the wedding, my brother-in-law's cousins rolled back the rugs and danced for us. They were amazing and I thought to myself, "That looks like insane amounts of fun. I'd like to try that some day."

So, fast forward a few years and my husband walks into the apartment kitchen and proudly informs me that he just signed up for an irish step dance class at BYU. Well, I wasn't about to let him take that without me! So I signed up and took the class (which turned out to not be my hubby's cup of tea as he dropped right after the class started...hehe). After that, I was hooked.
By Needtowinlottery Comments: 24, member since Sat Jan 31, 2009
On Sun May 06, 2012 07:43 PM
I (mom of DD) saw an outdoor performance of a dance school when my daughter was 5. We had done parks'n'rec ballet, but I didn't like the anorexia/eating disorder nature of ballet. With some Irish blood in my daughter, combined with the athletic nature of ID, it seemed like a great idea. And she loves it! Too bad about all the bling, which seems to take away from the great athleticism and culture of ID.
By hannicamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 604, member since Fri Sep 21, 2007
On Thu May 10, 2012 06:16 PM
Well I have just started ID this summer. I started it because of the following reasons:

a) I needed a dance class in the summer and the only one available was ID
b) I totally think Ghillies are really cool looking
c) I was delighted to see that ballet and ID share a lot of the some moves. So delighted in fact that I decided then and there I had found my second dance form!
By watchingthedance Comments: 33, member since Tue Jul 22, 2008
On Sat May 12, 2012 08:06 PM
I pretty much started because I'm irish. But my sisters and I were the first ones to ever take dance lessons in my family. I remember going to shows when I was younger for St. Patrick's Day and was interested in it. I think my parents just asked me if I wanted to dance, I don't really remember asking since I was soo young. But I've been danceing ever since:)
By Camryn Comments: 30, member since Mon Sep 30, 2013
On Fri Jan 17, 2014 02:23 PM
I had fell in love with Irish music before I started Irish dance. I went to a St. Patrick's Day festival and saw Irish dancers there and decided I had to do it. So I did, and the dancers I saw were from the same school I go to!
By AutumnLily Comments: 27, member since Wed Oct 03, 2012
On Sat Jan 18, 2014 02:55 AM
I fell in love with traditional Irish music and it always made me want to dance. It was before I saw Riverdance or Lord of the Dance or any other performance so I didn't even know what does ID look like :D It was still kind of new in my country so there weren't many opportunities to learn Irish dancing but I just knew I wanted to lear it :)
By tinydancer1988 Comments: 125, member since Mon Oct 21, 2013
On Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:54 AM
I saw a commercial for a local furniture store (back in 1992-ish) and I DESPERATELY wanted one of those AWESOME blue dresses!!!

My mom wound up finding a school with red dresses instead, but I made it work, hee hee
By Star555 Comments: 21, member since Mon Mar 26, 2012
On Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:13 PM
I saw it on TV in some Disney movie. I had been doing ballet but it was too slow and boring for me. I liked how Irish dance was so upbeat and I wanted to try it.
By reelgirl59 Comments: 11, member since Sat Sep 13, 2014
On Fri Sep 26, 2014 02:38 PM
I stumbled across the Big Jig TLC documentary on Youtube and fell in love with it instantly! That was when I was 14, and just a few months later started taking lessons. I found out that I loved doing it just as much as watching it. Now I am 15, and my TC's say I have great form and I am almost in the Prizewinner class! Oh yeah for late beginners!
Page:
Page 7 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7

ReplySendWatch