Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

just got back from first pilates class, a few questions!!!
By irish_dancer4Himmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 22, 2007 07:04 PM

As my title says, I just got back from my first pilates class. We did a lot of crunches and leg lifts, but I only feel like I worked my legs. Which is not really what I was hoping for because my legs are already huge, lol. I was hoping my abs would be workd more but I just don't feel it.
Maybe i'm doing something wrong? i'm not sure, I just want to know if it will get better. And if by doing these classes, will my legs bulk up even more?

Irish_dancer

3 Replies to just got back from first pilates class, a few questions!!!

re: just got back from first pilates class, a few questions!!!
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 23, 2007 09:12 AM
According to the sticky, pilates doesn't cause muscle bulk. It works your muscles so that you're toned and lean. I've never taken pilates, but I have my first class in 2 weeks.
re: just got back from first pilates class, a few questions!!! (karma: 1)
By Jeannie1member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 23, 2007 09:34 AM
When you are doing pilates, you have to make sure that you are constantly pulling in your tummy muscles. When you are on your back, make it feel as though you are trying to get your bellybutton to touch the floor. It's really important to keep your core muscles strong throughout the entire thing. Breathing is important too, because it helps you get a cardiovascular workout as well.

At your next class, ask your teacher about what you may be doing wrong. Is it a big class? Perhaps your teacher can give you some pointers after class.
re: just got back from first pilates class, a few questions!!!
By GetReelAndJigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jan 25, 2007 02:36 PM
Just as Jeannie said, always make sure you're pulling your navel in. When you're doing leg lifts/circles/etc., pull your stomach in as much as you can and make sure your hips aren't rocking at all. I don't feel it much in my abs either, but it is nice for lengthening. Good luck (:

ReplySendWatch