Forum: Arts / Philosophy

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
God. (karma: 1)
By Natalia009member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:23 PM

I'm not sure if this belongs here but it for some reason I didn't think it should go on the religion board--although this has to do with religion there is quite a bit more to it. So if this is the wrong place. Sorry.

I believe in God. But I don't believe in the bible. I believe that the bible is alot like a game of telephone. You know, in the end the statement has been completely taken out of context. I don't believe that MY God would cast all homosexuals into hell, and I don't believe that MY God condemns pre-marital sex. In fact I believe that MY God created everyone with the ability to individually choose what is right or wrong for a reason. I believe that MY God is a loving God. He(and I'm using the term loosely here) loves everyone the same and equally and who knows? in the game of telephone-bible maybe someone said, "hey, I can't get my wife to listen to me so I've got the perfect way to put her in her place" and 2 pages of scribbles later women are beneath men. Or "ya know that guy next door keeps on kissing other men, I'm tired of seeing that and now my kid thinks that it's ok" and 2 more pages of scribbles later homosexuality is against God and all of 'em are going straight to h-ll. I think that to each his/her own and MY God believes the same way.

Does anyone else have an unusal way of looking at religion and more importantly your own religious beliefs?

xo N.

30 Replies to God.

re: God.
On Wed Jan 24, 2007 02:34 PM
Perhaps the wrong place....
By villian_f
On Wed Jan 31, 2007 01:06 PM
I am not sure what my religion is...I believe in GOD, that is for sure. But he/she/it is not a little kid with a magnifying glass scrutizing our every move. Actually he/she/it is a light, an aura, a glow of hope and love. He/she/it is with me when I see something beautiful, he/she/it guides and helps me through tough times..What is my religion? I feel so comfortable in church but like reading the Qu'ran. What does that make my God? Mine.
By kristie_bugmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:04 PM
I believe in God, and I have a hard time believe fully in the bible. No one knows what God's word truly is and you're a fool to claim such. If god is loving, and I believe *IT* is, then the christians that follow him, the good people that arent christian, ANIMALS, and the truly sorry and apologetic of their sins will get into heaven.

I believe homosexuals do not necissarily choose to be gay. It could be that men can have too much estrogen, and women can have too much testosterone. But everyone is entitled to the pursuit of happiness, and if being with someone of the same sex does that for you, then so be it.

Premarital sex. I have had sex, and I am not married. I'm still with the person that I lost my virginity to, and he lost his to me. I dont believe that "I do" is Gods permission to have sex, or a signature on a slip of paper. When you feel you are ready for sex, then thats God's way of telling you that he gives you permission. Faith is based on what you feel, thats how you believe in something you cant see. It's that warm fuzzy feeling when your prayer came true. If you feel comfortable, and you just know God is giving you that feeling, then I believe its alright. But I could be totally wrong and the mormons could have it right... Who knows?

*Kristie*

p.s. Does this ever make you wanna kill yourself just to see if its true or not? I've wondered if people have killed themselves in pursuing the truth...
On Thu Feb 01, 2007 04:34 AM
I was an atheist for my younger years. And, between the ages of 12-17 I had it pretty rough. One day though, I was in the tub and I was sorta at the end of my rope--emotionally. And for the first time ever, I truly asked for help. I can't explain the feeling that washed over me that day, but I'll never forget it. I've had faith ever since. And my life is the better for it. I did alot of things that I never thought I could do. I pulled myself out of the gutter, and ya know what? I never could have done it, if it weren't for that day.....I don't know it's hard to explain...

xo N.
re: God. (karma: 1)
By soulfiremember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 01, 2007 08:33 PM
i believe in God and i am a christian but i totally see where you are coming from. when i'm reading the bible i really don't take everything to heart because when some king (not sure who it was maybe king james) converted the bible from hebrew i'm sure he didn't know some of the exact translations of words so i think that there is some flexibility. like i believe that God does not say that woman is below man, but that because woman was taken from his rib she stands beside him. i see it as a woman serves her husband just as he serves her. i think its all very one sided and really since at the time of the bible that was how the world worked, woman served man and as much as it sucks its what it was like its what was taught and now that the world has changed so much there has to be some change in the bible because of the way the world works nowadays. and really i think that as long as you believe that God sent his son jesus to die for our sins so that we would not face the death that the devil had in mind for us then you are going to heaven. because really, if we were taking the bible literally NO ONE would be going to heaven, everyone steals (downloading music for example) and everyone lusts after others and everyone is jelous of people and really it takes a lot of asking God for forgiveness to be completely pure so i definatly think that the bible grows as the world grows...

and thats my two cents!
re: God. (karma: 2)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:59 PM
pfft. Come on! Women are inferior to men - no matter what your religion. How else would you explain Desperate Housewives?
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 07, 2007 05:43 AM
I believe in God, but not as the Bible interprets God. The name 'God' is interchangable with any culture's interpretation of Spirit which resides collectively within and without.
By addicted2danze
On Tue Feb 13, 2007 09:45 AM
I believe in God, or an higher being. And sometimes I read the Bible because I think it is a book that can guide us and show us how to live. Not to be taken literally though, I don't always identify as a Christian for the simple fact that the defination of Christianity has been imbued by the hands of man. I believe Jesus lived and he was a profound prophet, but I also believe other prophets existed before and after his time. I would like to think there is a heaven after this, but because we live in a society plagued with Dichotomies I struggle in my belief's to hell. I talk to God often, and whether he exists or is just a man created "thing" it sometimes makes life a bit easier. Sometimes my anger at the state of the world makes me question the existence of him or her or it. It is a daily struggle of mine and just like Christianity my own beliefs in God are full of contradictions that won't be settled until, I stop breathing and am faced with whatever lays after this...
On Tue Feb 13, 2007 04:27 PM
somebody wrote:

I talk to God often, and whether he exists or is just a man created "thing" it sometimes makes life a bit easier.

I know what you mean perfectly. And isn't that what faith is regardless?

xo Natalia
By AfterTheRainmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:16 PM
i turn to god when i dont know which way i should go.
he usually has the direction.

i dont thank him for the mashed potatoes on my plate, thats where i thank my mom.

but i forget about god.
i seem to only go to him when something is wrong.
if someone is in bad health, i make a stop to talk to god.
and i know this is wrong, and yet i seem to forget about him only long enough for me to remember i cant keep forgetting him.

god lets me talk to him.
and i usually take him up on that coffee donut deal.
but every once in a while i leave with the coffee and forget the talk. he can see my actions however, it doesnt stop me from sipping the coffee.

i usually turn to god when things are crumbling down.
i usually wait till its too late and then ask god why its too late.
if something is unsure in my life i ask god if he show me any signs of its existance.

i pray when i remember.
but i know that thats not enough.
and it never will be.
but it shouldnt be.

aftertherain.
By balletchick2006member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 19, 2007 05:02 PM
I'm agnostic, which means I'm waiting for an answer and can't definitely say whether or not I believe in God. I however, am leaning more towards him/her/it not being there.

I look at the world today and see chaos and sorrow. To me, right now, God seems like a fabricated excuse that people use when something goes wrong because they don't want to take the blame themselves. God or Gods are also used as excuses to fight wars. The Crusades? I'm sorry, but I don't think there is such a thing as a Holy War. If there is a God, I doubt he wants people murdering others in his name.

I suppose it is my own life that makes me doubt his existance. My family has a lot of problems that I don't feel I need to go into much detail about, just that they're mostly financial. We're just never in the best situation. I'm not saying I have it as bad as people in africa, but still. I used to constantly ask God for help; I asked him to show me in some small way that he cared and would help us out. That was years ago, and things still aren't better for me. Whenever it seems we're out of the hole, something else breaks/goes wrong or someone gets sick and needs more medicine or something. And there my doubts began...

The Bible also annoys me a bit too. I mean, a lot of it wasn;t even recorded for hundreds of years. That's years of tampering and 'editing' that could have been done. Not saying nothing in it is true, but I'm saying that you shouldn't follow it to the letter.

For those of you who have such strong faith, I'm happy for you. I envy you as well. I hope someday I may have knowledge or insight into the existance of a god, whether it is that there is one or there isn't.
On Thu Feb 22, 2007 06:11 PM
I've thought about it, and how long has civilization been around?
How long have there been wars and poverty and plagues etc?

I think that 'God' puts these things on earth to test for the truly faithful. As I have said before, I don't think that 'God' is up there just answering everyones prayers and things like that.

alot of people are shown the 'right' way to go, and choose to go another way, and then when bad things happen they blame it on 'god'. It's not very often that I hear anyone thank god when they get that job promotion or what have you. They thank their smarts/talent/or whatever. Maybe...'God' is tired of showing people the right way and getting ignored....

just a thought.

xo N.
Gideons? (karma: 2)
By kriswoodall
On Sat Mar 17, 2007 07:27 PM
Here's one for you, who are the Gideons? Right, if you go into a hotel and you look in one of your drawers or wardrobes, you'll always find a bible that says 'placed here by the Gideons'. But, i never saw em' put it there? Even when you look once and there's nothing there, then you go to the toilet and 2 mins later there's this 'bible' placed by the Gideons! Are they super intelligent ninjas or something? Invisible? Where do they come from? Pyra-midia-gidia or something? Strange...

Woody
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 12, 2007 08:45 PM
In my opinion, God was created by people who needed something to pacify their fear of dying. I think people like to believe that there's someone up there listening to their problems and looking over them. I believe that people really want to believe that there is something after death. I'm not atheist, but I'm agnostic with atheist tendencies. But ya know, I think if it works for you, then great. Everyone should be allowed to be happy in what they believe, right?
By RileyA
On Fri Apr 13, 2007 06:35 PM
Natalia009, I agree with you and so do many religious people. The bible was of course originally written in hebrew and there were many mistranslations when it was interpreted to english. My parents have studied the bible at a tertiary level and explained this. At the time it was translated many of the rules and expectations made sense at the time but they no longer do today.

People often misquote the bible and take things out of context to mean the things they want it to mean. In reality the whole thing is open to interpretation. I am like you in that I beleive god is a loving and forgiving being.

It's almost like when young kids are afraid to tell their parents about something because they don't think their parents will understand and they'll get in trouble. But when they do tell their parents they find they not only understand but are able to help in ways the kids never considered.

I think God is in many ways like this. Perhaps people should give him a little more credit.

I think God is like a parent in other ways to. A parent would like to prevent their child from ever making mistakes, like to ensure they always have the best in life. But they realise that one day their child must discover meaning in their own lives. They need to make mistakes in order to learn from them and they can't always be sheltered from the consequences of their actions. Perhaps thats why god allows us to make the mistakes we make here on earth.
By maureensiobhan
On Sat Apr 14, 2007 09:47 AM
I personally think that what's written in the bible, qu'ran or torah is metaphors to help us decide what is right and what is wrong. The metaphors can be taken the way you personally choose to take them.

I talk to God every day. When I pray, I see only a blank, vast space, which I believe represents a spirit and the vastness of time and space that only God Himself can comprehend. I pray for help when I'm faced with a serious problem. When things work out positively, I always say, "Thank God.". I think too that there is always some good that can come out of a bad situation. This positive result I think is God at work protecting us. Hence, the adage "The Lord works in mysterious ways.". God is really the best friend you can have, because you can tell Him everything and you can be absolutely sure that what you want to be confidential will remain confidential.

As for God looks like, people who have had a near-death experience always talk about seeing a bright light, then having a feeling of peace and rest come over them. They never talk about seeing a grandfatherly figure in human form wearing a white robe and having long white hair and a long white beard the way we see God pictured in the bible.
By ShandaLeemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Apr 19, 2007 09:40 PM
I also believe in God, but the bible is questionable. Like, for instance when it says "A voice came down from the heavens", why doesn't God talk to us? Or "An angel appeared", well why didn't one appear to me? I do believe that I have a guardian angel, but why can't I see her? I don't know, some things just make me wonder how is that possible.

BB
By lilydancer
On Fri May 25, 2007 09:57 AM
ok so i have a story to tell you and then something to say.

i grew up with a minister for a father until i was 11 and he left the ministry because of something that happened with the eldership in the church. we left that church and moved on. from that point on i never ever got along with my father. with each year it got worse and worse. i am now 17 and for the last 6 years i've cried out to God asking him so help make this situation better. last summer was the worst for me. my dad and i had the worst falling out imaginable. besides all of that, i was in a production that summer and the girl who was playing the lead...well...let's just say i envied her to no end. So with all this going on w/ my father and my jealousy completely taking over my life i began to completely hate myself and who i was. i hated everything, including God and pretty soon i was convinced that God didn't exist and I completely cut myself off from him. Then something happened...i recieved a letter from a woman that i'm really close to (she's like a second grandmother to me). well she worked at my school and it turned out she wasn't coming back this school year. she wrote me a letter explaining that she had gone through a terrible tragedy in her family and more was coming. her life was a mess...but...she still managed to praise God for bringing her through all of this. and she still keeps a positive perspective. i've seen her a couple of times since then and her optimism just amazes me. she changed my life, i love her, and i don't know what i'd do without her...i'm seeing her tonight and i'm so excited! :)

ok so now this is the actual response to the post...
i noticed how you just pointed out those major problems like sex before marriage and homosexuality. both of those are sins. but there are "small" sins as well. lying to your parents, hitting your brother or sister, yelling at your father, cheating on a test...all of these i have done. all of them will be punished. it doesn't matter how "big" the sin is...in the end you will be punished for it...it says in Romans "For the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." that means that the punishment for sins is death and separation from God...but if you accept the gift God is willing to give you by living within you, then you will spend eternity in Heaven with him. but it requires trusting him fully and following his word, which IS the Bible. Everything in it is true, i totaly believe that...and i wish i had time to write more about this, but i don't so i think i'll come back some other time and continue this post. for now, just know that those are my true thought on the subject...so far.

Lily
By thetorch
On Wed Jun 06, 2007 08:16 AM
I can't say much right now since I have to get off the compter soon but I believe God is real and I believe the bible in it's original text is perfectly accurate. The scriptures were written quite accurately too. If you look at the culture back then before the words in the bible it'll all make sense. Back then when they copied things by hand and on scrolls they would copy so carefully that if they got a single tiny dot of ink in the wrong place, they would burn the entire scroll. For those of you who think the scriptures were tampered with, those people would have to be more than world geniouses to come up with such accurate stuff. Nothing in the bible has been physically proven wrong but plenty has been proven right(I'm talking about archeological evidence). I have to go now so I'll finish what I was going to say later.
By Jeneguinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 10, 2007 09:04 PM
This reminds me of the whole "Did God create man or did man create God." thing. Some aspects of religion I think have been invented. The Bible is so old and has been translated so often, who's to say that the basic idea hasn't been skewed to such absurdity that it's no longer similar to the original text. On another point, I think that the idea of God versus Devil presents this whole supernatural good vs: evil battle that's hard to comprehend. People think Greek mythology,with all the supernatural story lines ,is clearly fantastic fiction but is it not similar to our stories of God? I've probably trailed off the question asked but those are my opinions on the Bible.

I sometimes think of God as a person, I try to understand his omnipotence but anything on an infinite level is incomprehensible to the mind.
By I1Irishdancer
On Sun Jun 10, 2007 09:54 PM
I've grown up in a christian family and my parents have a very strong faith. I, however, do not. this is a recent (within the past few years) development, but I feel like i have broken free from years of seeing life through the tunnell vision of christianity.
When i was little, the pastor at my church beat his wife so badly that she was near death in a hospital. it made national news. We then moved to a church that later compromised their beliefs just to get more people in to make more money. After that we went to a church where the pastor ran off with his secretary on a mission trip leaving the asst. pastor and deacons mud hurling each other in an attempt to assume his position as pastor. Now, i know that everyone makes mistakes, but that all left me quite jaded.
The most recent church that my family still attends, while i have left, is an extremely wierd church. They believe that everyone is supposed to talk to God and hear very specific things (prophetic words) and speak them to others, like fortune tellers. They believe in speaking in "tongues" which i see absolutely no use for besides making them look like fools and the person they are praying for utterly confused. They prophesy things like california falling off into the sea and floods. it's just oddly scary. I'm very worried about my family going there and i believe it's a money making scam.
I don't like how the bible belittles women and how certain groups of people were ordered by god to be destroyed. it doesn't make sense to me that a book before it, killing is a horrible sin, yet god brings a genocide in the next. For instance, i think that it was a quite twisted for god to order Abraham to kill his son isaac, only to say just kidding! just to see if abraham loved him enough. ack.
Honestly, right now i want nothing to do with christianity and i'm enjoying viewing life right now without a christ-colored lens distorting my view. I actually am happier and enjoying educating myself on all the views of god out there. I don't believe that you have to be a christian to be a morally good and caring person which is my goal.
By thetorch
On Fri Jun 15, 2007 05:05 AM
God exists and I really think you'll all find that the more earthly things you have or do you'll see that it's not satisfying enough. I found that even though I really don't like hanging around freak christians, I feel the need to hang out with them every once in a while. I'm a christian but I'm not crazy about church services. I believe that some of us were meant to be that way so that we could relate to people that are like that. Life will end up crazy in the end without God. always keep him there in the back of your mind at least so that you can go to him when you find you need someone that can relate to you.
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 02, 2007 07:03 PM
I believe in God. I am a Christian, and I like my retired Pastor's take on the bible.

He believes that the bible is not a literal translation..but a guide. He believes that the most important aspect of the bible is the basic lessons. You can't take it as pure Gospel (no pun intended)! The lessons and words that are/were Jesus' intent are the main focus of what he believes we should study in the bible.
...I absolutely agree with that wholeheartedly. His intent is what is the point. I like to think, "What Would Jesus Do?"

I believe that God is benevolent. I don't like people of various denominations who act as if THEIR denomination is THE one true religion. That is NOT proper, Christian behavior.

Don't worry, if this discussion turns "too religious" one of the mods will move it to the religion board.
By maureensiobhan
On Thu Aug 02, 2007 07:40 PM
^^^ "I believe that God is benevolent."

I wonder, though, why we're taught about a peaceful, everloving God, and in the next breath, we're taught about God's terrible vengeance against sinners. It kind of makes one wonder what to believe. It's no wonder that my brother is agnostic.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch